1 2 3 4
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/1/22 7:23 a.m.

Stranger canoe!

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/1/22 7:26 a.m.

Yes, I did. What I learned:  do not buy your dream car as a project car.

1967 Fiat Dino Coupe. Sold it several years later looking basically the same. Between the expensive parts and unobtainium parts it was a short honeymoon. And, trying to find someone to buy your weirdo, never-imported exotic project proved to be nearly impossible. I had to trade it for a '65 Skylark convertible to make it go away.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/1/22 7:38 a.m.

I was not aware of these turbo r's. 

looks pretty great, eapecially with good wheels. 

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
9/1/22 7:54 a.m.

I just tuned in to verify you survived the night.  The last time I went to buy a car (Sunday), I took my wife along.  That way I got her blessing and assured myself risk-free sleeping that night lol.

That car is a beauty.  I hope it works out as you intend!

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/1/22 7:58 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

I looked at wheels last night. Bentley wheels are insanely expensive. These are my personal favorites. The prices I found are right around $1900 a piece. It's going to be rolling on the OE wheels for the foreseeable future. 

Bentley Turbo R review, specs, stats, comparison, rivals, data, details,  photos and information on SupercarWorld.com

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/1/22 8:23 a.m.

Beautiful car.  I have a feeling you're going home with it.  Momma "must ?" be used to guilty pleasures by now.  Yes, I have my dream car, albeit two of those wheels you like would cover my buy in for my Jaguar XJ8.  Mine is British Racing Green with a tan interior, sort of consummate English heritage.

Maybe you can black out the fins (black construction paper for the idea) on those wheels to somewhat give a slightly different appearance.  Hunt around for center caps that fit and color coordinate them.  Either way enjoy!!

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/1/22 8:41 a.m.

Yup, chrome orange Elise. I loved it, but it was superlative in the way I thought it would be. I've also driven several (mostly German) halo cars that left me massively disappointed. 

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/1/22 8:45 a.m.

Mein gott that is a sexy automobile. There was an eggplant Turbo RT nearish me for a few years. I lusted over it hard. I love this green. So deep and dark. Just an overall perfectly proportioned and strong looking thing.

I think they share a bolt pattern with BMW(therefore chevrolet).

I have bought a dream car. It's currently for sale indecision

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
9/1/22 9:06 a.m.

Another Elise dream car buyer here. Wanted one since the first Gran Turismo. Unobtainable dream car would probably be something like an XJ220, also because of video games in my youth.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/1/22 9:06 a.m.

I must have been born lucky because all of my "dream cars " have been lightweight, two seater sports cars. Bought the MG the day I turned 15, the Miata in 1990 and the FRS in 2012. Dream cars don't have to be expensive.

The Lotus Elise is the one that eludes me.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/1/22 9:12 a.m.

I did some digging on the tires. It looks like I can go from a 255/60R15 to a 275/60R15 be the same diameter, pick up .8" in width, and drop the tire prices from $480+- to under $200. 

I don't think I need 200 TW tires for this car. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/1/22 9:23 a.m.

I luv me some 5 spokes. 

looks great haulin arse too

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/1/22 9:24 a.m.

$1900 each, ouch! That's custom forged wheel territory. 

As far as buying my "dream car?" That will never happen. Unless in 20 years from now I buy a 25-year old Aston Martin. They aren't typically the fastest at anything, but JFC are they the absolutely most gorgeous cars ever made.......to me at least. I like to call them the Gentleman's sports car. 

birdmayne
birdmayne Reader
9/1/22 9:33 a.m.

I own my dream car. It's a true project car, as it's in a million pieces in my shop. I love it just the way it is, honestly. 

Congrats on your Turbo R! (Assumption that you'll be taking ownership today) that is one badass machine!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/1/22 9:37 a.m.

My dream car was (still is?) a 1969 Dodge Charger - until I test drove one back in 1990.  I didn't buy it for a few reasons: First, it was simply a terrible car to drive - ill handling plow machine. Second, there was a bit of rust in the trunk. Third, it was a 383 car and my already high insurance costs (I was 20 at the time) would have gone stratospheric.   That said, I wish I had been clairvoyant and bought it anyway. Since it was $2200 ($5K in today's money) for a running and driving '69 Charger and these days you can't buy a rusted out shell with a VIN for that price.

My dream car now would be a restomod Charger similar to this one.  I'd change the interior a bit and maybe the exterior color, but functionally this car is exactly what I'd want.

Someone associated with our Triumph club has a really nice 80's era Bentley Continental 2-door convertible.  I always lust after it every time I see it, thinking about how awesome of a touring car that would be.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/1/22 9:55 a.m.

I just did the inflation calculator think on that $170,000 MSRP. In 2022 dollars, that was a $370,000 car. The current Bentley Mulsanne Turbo is $310,000, so this car was even more expensive than a current flagship Bentley when new. Crazy.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/1/22 9:58 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

My dream car was (still is?) a 1969 Dodge Charger - until I test drove one back in 1990.  I didn't buy it for a few reasons: First, it was simply a terrible car to drive - ill handling plow machine. Second, there was a bit of rust in the trunk. Third, it was a 383 car and my already high insurance costs (I was 20 at the time) would have gone stratospheric.   That said, I wish I had been clairvoyant and bought it anyway. Since it was $2200 ($5K in today's money) for a running and driving '69 Charger and these days you can't buy a rusted out shell with a VIN for that price.

My dream car now would be a restomod Charger similar to this one.  I'd change the interior a bit and maybe the exterior color, but functionally this car is exactly what I'd want.

Someone associated with our Triumph club has a really nice Bentley Continental 2-door convertible.  I always lust after it every time I see it, thinking about how awesome of a touring car that would be.

If we go old school, '69 Yenko Camaro. You could probably buy my house 3-5x over for what one costs now. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/1/22 10:00 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I had a 1970 Chevelle for a number of years. I never had the money to do what I wanted with it and eventually sold it for $1700. Boy that was a mistake. 

I'm waiting on a meeting time now to go pick up the Bentley. My wife is even going with me. I'm pretty sure it's going to cost me dearly in the near future. Doubly true since I bought the Touareg barely a month ago. 

iansane
iansane Dork
9/1/22 10:05 a.m.

The Turbo R is such a ridiculously cool car. And that looks like a pristine example. Great job.

My dream car is a pantera. I'd trade my whole fleet for one.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/1/22 10:29 a.m.

I'll be thinning the fleet starting next week. Expect some sale ads from me.

I'll also be cleaning out another garage stall. This one will live indoors and undercover and brought out on beautiful days for drives around the countryside. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/1/22 10:36 a.m.

Whatever my dream car is, it's in the 6+ digit price range, so no. Closest I've got so far is the Toyobaru, closest I might get some day is a homebuilt AWD EV.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/1/22 10:40 a.m.

Was expecting to see the best Grey Poupon ad embedded here BTW laugh

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/1/22 10:51 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I hadn't seen that one before. Hilarious!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/1/22 10:55 a.m.

Will there be an online application for the chauffer position?  I could live in your carriage house and keep the fleet "prepared"

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
9/1/22 11:00 a.m.

Some of my dream cars and how that turned out.

Jeep CJ7, it was everything I hoped for and more.  Loved it totally would buy again.

Buick GN, this was after building my own with Olds 455 power.  Looked cool, everyone loved it.  The down to the metal fresh paint killed it for me, too pretty to drive.  I don't own garage queens.

E30 M3, I just wanted a BMW and this is what I came up with.  Loved all 15 years of it, sold it for 8.5/10 of what I paid for it.  $8500, just shoot me now.

Current lust is an Elise, I drove one and still want one.

Way out there dream is an 08 Ford GT40.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mPKbZv311dN78DbNbWDWDQnmZnJKRRRRRf0PdmgKkrOXMYDr7MvlKpomfa57gz9j