1 2 3 4 5
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/1/22 11:01 a.m.

Or, since your wife is going with you.  Be so kind as to insist that she takes the first drive; the drive home.  Then stand at her door and help her get the seat/mirrors adjusted.  Only, then, climb into the back seat and say, "home...James"  

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
9/1/22 11:29 a.m.

I own one of the closest I can afford of my dream cars. E36 coupe. Fell in love with Dado's from Mischief videos and have always wanted one. Bought a bit of a basket case for waay too much money. But it's got potential.

I'd love to own an Aston Martin DB9 one day... 

Congrats on the Turbo R! Look forward to the build thread!

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/1/22 11:34 a.m.
dculberson said:

I just did the inflation calculator think on that $170,000 MSRP. In 2022 dollars, that was a $370,000 car. The current Bentley Mulsanne Turbo is $310,000, so this car was even more expensive than a current flagship Bentley when new. Crazy.

The 30-year depreciation curve is insane. This one has an ask of $13k. So from $370k to $13k in 31 years. I'll let you figure out the percentage, but it's a lot like a rock off a cliff. 

Makes me happy I love unpopular cars. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/1/22 11:35 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Or, since your wife is going with you.  Be so kind as to insist that she takes the first drive; the drive home.  Then stand at her door and help her get the seat/mirrors adjusted.  Only, then, climb into the back seat and say, "home...James"  

John wants me to get murdered one night. I can tell. 

laugh

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/1/22 11:48 a.m.

The bleeding procedure for the hydraulic system. 

14 separate bleed points. That's amazing. surprise

Pretty sure I'm going to need to order a shop manual for this one. 

• 1. Remove fuse B1 from fuse panel F1 on the main fuseboard.
• 2. Depressurize the hydraulic systems as described in Section G3. Complete depressurization of the suspension struts is not
necessary.
• 3. Open the accumulator bleed screws, points A and B.
• 4. Start and run the engine at 1500 rev/min for one minute. Ensure that the facia warning panels are flashing i.e. STOP and BRAKE
PRESSURE.
• 5. Switch off the engine.
• 6. Close the accumulator bleed screws, points A and B.
• 7. Open the bleed screws at points C,D,E,K,L,M and N.
• 8. Depress the footbrake pedal.
• 9. Start and run the engine at 1000 rev/min.
• 10. Allow points C,D,E,K,L,M and N to bleed until air free.
• 11. Open bleed screws F and G, allow bleeding to start.
• 12. Close the bleed screws at points C,D,E,K,L,M and N.
• 13. Bleed at points F and G until air free.
• 14. Open bleed screws at points H and I, allow bleeding to start. Close the bleed screws at points F and G.
• 15. Bleed at points H and I until air free.
• 16. Close the bleed screws at points H and I.
• 17. Release the footbrake pedal.
• 18. Add weight to the rear of the car to actuate the levelling valve.
• 19. Allow the systems to pressurize (facia warning panels extinguished).
• 20. Open the bleed screw at point J, bleed until air free.
• 21. Close the bleed screw at point J.
• 22. Check the hydraulic system mineral oil levels in the reservoirs and top-up as necessary.
• 23. Switch off the engine.
• 24. Fit a rubber dust cover to each bleed screw, and replace the fuse in the fuseboard.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
9/1/22 12:01 p.m.

After a short interval with 'regular' cars (my first two were small parent subsidized import sedans, one Japanese and one British) I took to sports cars and owned dozens of them (up around 80 in total) but the one thing I had lusted after was an Italian sports car, preferably in the super car class.  Not a new one, but a classic one.

I had a shot at a Ghibli coupe, which has a shape I have long admired, and at a very reasonable price, but decided to be entirely too responsible and deferred as I had to sell another car first (Jensen Interceptor Convertible).

Of course by the time I sold it, the Ghibli had gone South and the price floor had risen on any others out there.

I got very lucky when a friend offered me another Italian exotic at a more than reasonable price and this time I jumped at it.  1969 Lamborghini Islero S, made in a total run of only 100 cars and with a well designed V12 engine and good capable chassis (as opposed to the somewhat stodgy Maserati V8 coupled to a live axle).

Owned the car for many years after doing much of the refurbishment work myself (it had been sitting in a garage for many years) and enjoyed the heck out of it.  The pics below show it as bought although after I had recommissioned it.  Worst moment was when the shop I had taken the magnesium Campagnolo knock off wheels to asked me if they weren't aluminum and opined that they might have stripped them in the wrong tank of stripper.....

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/1/22 12:09 p.m.

You are not helping you know that. I have been lusting after a Ghost lately but my wife would kill me. She hates all RR and Bentleys

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
9/1/22 12:30 p.m.

Does Bentley Publishing make a manual for Bentleys?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/1/22 2:15 p.m.

So, you buy it yet?

And something to help you with your decision:

Driving a Pair of Turbocharged Youngtimer Legends: Bentley’s Turbo R and Continental T

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/1/22 3:00 p.m.

The deal is done and the beast is home. 

It is awesome. And my wife isn't going to murder me. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/1/22 3:04 p.m.

Congrats on not being murdered!

Now you will have to dress up when going for a drive. You cannot arrive in a Bentley wearing flip flops and a t-shirt, it's just not done.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/1/22 3:04 p.m.

The beast!  Who you calling beast?  

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/1/22 3:05 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I came across that in a Google search earlier today. A great article.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
9/1/22 3:08 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Very pleased to hear about the not-murdering thing.

Nice car!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/1/22 4:19 p.m.

Happy that you bought it and still live to tell the tale!

LOOK AT THAT THING!!!! It's beautiful! Going to be following the eventual build thread on this. Congrats! 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/1/22 4:22 p.m.

Congrats Tman

Yes my avatar......

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/1/22 4:54 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Congrats on not being murdered!

Now you will have to dress up when going for a drive. You cannot arrive in a Bentley wearing flip flops and a t-shirt, it's just not done.

I think it would actually make it better!

He can borrow my black Tshirt that says, "This is my quarantine shirt" that I wore to most of our home football games last year. 

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
9/1/22 8:05 p.m.
Toyman! said:

The deal is done and the beast is home. 

It is awesome. And my wife isn't going to murder me. 

Yet.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
9/1/22 8:24 p.m.

Hawaiian shirts , flip flops and shades.......

Cool car  to go cruise  PCH and have lunch at the Jack in the Box in Malibu :)

Have fun with it ......

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/1/22 9:15 p.m.

Congratulations!  That's quite a car!

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
9/1/22 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Dude! Talks the talk, walks the walk.  That is freaking awesome! 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/1/22 9:52 p.m.

Based on my quick look around that seems extraordinarily well bought. Good deal on an amazing car. I hope it's everything you want and more.

Now I feel like indulging my dreams but I am also in major "get rid of projects" mode at this moment.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
9/1/22 9:59 p.m.

I can't imagine a better color for that car. 

Every other one I've seen (Connecticut) is black. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
9/2/22 6:58 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I can't imagine a better color for that car. 

Every other one I've seen (Connecticut) is black. 

I just saw one in Lee MA two weeks ago in black. That R is one of my favorites as well and I think very well bought! 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/2/22 7:16 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I got offered one of these for $2500 sometime in 2017 and it was a bucket. I said hell no. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Rnus6aQ1d1bNWONzqaWmzTiG8uAn2hkegFhRFTKMC8BRoil3tGjMjVNbQchRNVS