1 2
wheels777
wheels777 Dork
5/29/14 7:47 p.m.

How about a complete BBC 8.1L (496 ci) Vortec for $175 with 87K. It was advertised twice on Craigslist. The second time it was half the price and OBO. I offered $150, he said $200, we met in the middle. The bad...it has a chunk broken it of the back of the block and we will have to make an oil filter adaptor...

So what's your purchase?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/29/14 7:48 p.m.

Jesus tap dancing Christ man.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/14 7:49 p.m.

That's cool. We have a regular Challenge guy who builds these wicked small-blocks. I have always wondered what he could do with more displacement.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
5/29/14 8:20 p.m.

I see what you did there, David. I'm cracking up.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
5/29/14 8:25 p.m.

Bought a set of Dellortos on an Alfa intake manifold last summer. Never had an Alfa, but come on man, Dellorto DHLA 40s for $150.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
5/29/14 8:45 p.m.

You should see my box of gauges, shifters, injectors, and fuel pumps...

IN for seeing Andy make TEXASwhp out of a BBC.

dropstep
dropstep New Reader
5/29/14 8:53 p.m.

the good news is thats cheap, the bad news is a decent set of heads for an 8.1 cost more then the budget. Its not a true big block chevy and has anemic heads. 225 hp out of 496 cubic inches.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
5/29/14 8:55 p.m.

I'm pretty sure he'll go plaid at the drags.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/29/14 9:06 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

I'll forgive you for being the new guy- wheels is a magician. He either a- has heads, b- can get heads or c- will fabricate heads. I'm genuinely curious to if he can go 9s on this.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/29/14 9:40 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: I'm pretty sure he'll go plaid at the drags.

I like that.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
5/29/14 10:47 p.m.

Two partial nitrous kits, an old 144 blower, and some old drag radials. I buy parts for the challenge, including almost finishing a car, but have yet to make it to one.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
5/30/14 5:51 a.m.
mndsm wrote: In reply to dropstep: I'll forgive you for being the new guy- wheels is a magician. He either a- has heads, b- can get heads or c- will fabricate heads. I'm genuinely curious to if he can go 9s on this.

Mk IV, Gen 5 or 6 it would be an easy trip to the 10s. Gen 7 will be a challenge to go 10's.

I know GRM gets enough crap with cars going into the 10s. I would want to get permission from them to chase a 9. The last thing I want is to hurt the event with the participants, the readers, or the public.

For those who have an interest in the quarter milers, 7 different cars with 3 different teams have run 10s at the event. 3 budget legal cars with 2 teams ran 10s outside the event. 10 cars with 4 teams total. One car has gone 9s after the challenge with a single part upgrade and another has gone 10.2s with some lighter parts (both were not budget legal with the part upgrades after the events). 9s would have to be a purpose built car with a power adder. I think it is possible.

dropstep wrote: the good news is thats cheap, the bad news is a decent set of heads for an 8.1 cost more then the budget. Its not a true big block chevy and has anemic heads. 225 hp out of 496 cubic inches.

340 HP net in its weakest form, and the heads are sad.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
5/30/14 6:42 a.m.

Permission granted.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
5/30/14 7:54 a.m.

I bought an off-brand cool steering wheel for about $50. I also bought a cool set of Corvette Y2K wheels for $200.

bluej
bluej SuperDork
5/30/14 8:32 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: I'm pretty sure he'll go plaid at the drags.

Please tell me they make plaid chutes..

stan_d
stan_d Dork
5/30/14 8:55 a.m.

When I built my V8 240sx, I had bought the lt1 for a $100.00. Then went looking for a car to fit. I stopped by a shop that was doing a sr20 swap and saw the empty 240 engine bay. Then went car hunting.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
5/30/14 9:49 a.m.

"Do you ever buy parts you don't need because they are cheap?"

Uh... See the garage cleanup thread in OT.

The pile of crap that was my workspace is an embarrassment.

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
5/30/14 11:35 a.m.

Bought a complete 283 and 3 speed manual with clutch assembly for $50 a couple weeks ago

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
5/30/14 2:30 p.m.

I bought an '87 Scirocco 16v that had tree limb damage for $300 that became my engine/trans/suspension donor for my 16v Rabbit. I bought it before I bought the Rabbit, and before I had any Challenge aspirations.

Slightly off topic, but I bought an original VW dealership diagnostic computer for the '68-'73 VW Type 3 fuel injection system for $25, with the manual. I have no use for it, but that seemed really cheap, and it's cool looking.

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
5/30/14 4:19 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: I bought an original VW dealership diagnostic computer for the '68-'73 VW Type 3 fuel injection system for $25, with the manual. I have no use for it, but that seemed really cheap, and it's cool looking.

You could probably setup a quick website and do mail-order fuel injection tune-ups with that (maybe you'd need the car in house? IDK). Like the guys that have old school distributor machines -- few people need the service anymore, but the people who really need it are really willing to pay for it.

Cool grab.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
5/30/14 4:29 p.m.

I have that same motor in my Suburban! Of course mine has 233K miles on it and is attached to a 4200 dollar GM product still. Good score

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
5/30/14 9:49 p.m.

I got a few motors and trans for cheap. Complete BMW 3L V8 and auto trans for $200, complete LT1 for $150, couple of hated manual transmissions for $75-125. Turbos, M90 SC, intercoolers etc . . . The pull-a-part yard being 5 minutes away is bad.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
5/30/14 9:59 p.m.
Ditchdigger wrote: "Do you ever buy parts you don't need because they are cheap?" The pile of crap that was my workspace is an embarrassment.

x2. or the "ever buy a car just because it was cheap?"

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
6/1/14 5:49 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
Ditchdigger wrote: "Do you ever buy parts you don't need because they are cheap?" The pile of crap that was my workspace is an embarrassment.
x2. or the "ever buy a car just because it was cheap?"

Guilty.....repeatedly. That's how the $300 Pontiac Sunbird found its way here...and a Volvo...and a pair of Bugs....a Chevelle...2 Monzas.... I'll stop this list now ....I realize now cheap cars have a problem. I'm not the problem...don't even think it.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
6/1/14 5:56 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: That's cool. We have a regular Challenge guy who builds these wicked small-blocks. I have always wondered what he could do with more displacement.

The last 4 engines we bought were not SBC. The 496 for $175 noted above and a complete 454 for $150 are among the new. We'd love to do the 496 for the Challenge, the stumbling block is getting a harness and computer. It appears an LS system would work. The 454 will probably end up in a LSR effort.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BUDtStNvEc5GxLhRtXjyBuD1NUfpNiudoOmGVzmboFkybjCnyhzbLYlenEZ2GF8U