1 2
LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
5/12/17 11:16 a.m.

I'm reading that 2017 Toyota 86 has "Smart Stop" -- a feature that kills power if the gas and brakes are pushed at the same time. Sounds like a heel-toe throttle "blip" killer.

'17 86 owners-- can you heel-toe and blip the throttle? Or does the computer kill the blip?

For safety, the Toyota 86 features stability control, traction control, six airbags and Smart Stop, a feature that cuts engine power if the brake and throttle pedals are pressed at the same time.

Source: kbb '17 Toyota 86 review

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
5/12/17 11:30 a.m.

Makes burnouts hard (but then again, the internet tells me there's not enough power for burnouts anyway).

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
5/12/17 11:34 a.m.

Even if they can't figure out how to turbocharge an engine, the ECU calibration engineers are probably smart enough to figure out that clutch open + throttle & brake pressure = heel & toe.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
5/12/17 11:52 a.m.

It's probably similar to how you turn traction control off

1) warm up the engine fully.

2) turn off the engine.

3) the side brake needs to be released.

4) press and hold the brake and start the engine.

5) while holding the brake, pull the side brake and let go of the brake.

6) press the brake 2 or more times and hold the brake.

7) while holding the brake, release and pull the side brake 2 or more times and hold the side brake.

8) while holding the side brake, press the brake 2 times.

9) TC and VSC lights should turn on.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
5/12/17 11:54 a.m.

I dunno, but it sure looks amazing. These are pics from my recent Toyota museum tour.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/12/17 12:15 p.m.

^Isn't that one of the concept cars made before the FRS was ever released?

Most of these anti-runaway systems don't interfere with throttle blipping, they give you a second or two of brake/gas overlap before they kill the engine.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
5/12/17 1:01 p.m.

The sign in the window said 2018 "dealer special edition" I know this thread was on 2017's, but I just wanted an excuse to brag about my road trip adventure.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/12/17 1:09 p.m.
buzzboy wrote: It's probably similar to how you turn traction control off 1) warm up the engine fully. 2) turn off the engine. 3) the side brake needs to be released. 4) press and hold the brake and start the engine. 5) while holding the brake, pull the side brake and let go of the brake. 6) press the brake 2 or more times and hold the brake. 7) while holding the brake, release and pull the side brake 2 or more times and hold the side brake. 8) while holding the side brake, press the brake 2 times. 9) TC and VSC lights should turn on.

There is a simpler procedure now.

Google "Pedal Dance"

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/12/17 1:21 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: The sign in the window said 2018 "dealer special edition" I know this thread was on 2017's, but I just wanted an excuse to brag about my road trip adventure.

Ah, in that case it's probably next-year's model with the dealer-supported FiveAD body kit that makes it look like the concept.

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
5/12/17 1:26 p.m.

^That's probably what it is. The real concept was even more low-slung and sleeker.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/12/17 1:34 p.m.
buzzboy wrote: It's probably similar to how you turn traction control off 1) warm up the engine fully. 2) turn off the engine. 3) the side brake needs to be released. 4) press and hold the brake and start the engine. 5) while holding the brake, pull the side brake and let go of the brake. 6) press the brake 2 or more times and hold the brake. 7) while holding the brake, release and pull the side brake 2 or more times and hold the side brake. 8) while holding the side brake, press the brake 2 times. 9) TC and VSC lights should turn on.

Or, you know, they could add a freakin' BUTTON!!

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
5/12/17 2:20 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Most of these anti-runaway systems don't interfere with throttle blipping, they give you a second or two of brake/gas overlap before they kill the engine.

Good to know. I don't have much experience with nanny-fied enthusiast cars. The computer in my NA Miata isn't smart enough do such things.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
5/12/17 2:38 p.m.
LuxInterior wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Most of these anti-runaway systems don't interfere with throttle blipping, they give you a second or two of brake/gas overlap before they kill the engine.
Good to know. I don't have much experience with nanny-fied enthusiast cars. The computer in my NA Miata isn't smart enough do such things.

It also has a dumb port fuel injected engine with fixed cam timing and a cable throttle. As close as you can get to a Stromberg and points, on the modern scale.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/12/17 2:41 p.m.

The Toyobaru's engine is DI+port injected.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
5/12/17 4:07 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Or, you know, they could add a freakin' BUTTON!!

Like this?

86Nanny PD + ABS

Will be my next mod on the FR-S along with a custom oil cooler...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/12/17 4:10 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: The Toyobaru's engine is DI+port injected.

And the stock fuel system can hold 300whp.

Not many cars fuel systems can hold basically double the original HP of the engine.

Too bad the engines have limp spaghetti noodles for rods.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
5/12/17 4:11 p.m.

Am I the only one not sure what a side brake is?

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
5/12/17 4:15 p.m.

In reply to nocones:

He means handbrake...

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
5/12/17 5:12 p.m.

I have videos from 18-20 years ago from Kazaa labeled things like "Chokudori side brake drift"...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/12/17 5:19 p.m.
red_stapler wrote: Even if they can't figure out how to turbocharge an engine, the ECU calibration engineers are probably smart enough to figure out that clutch open + throttle & brake pressure = heel & toe.

Or, more likely, "don't turn off the engine when the car is moving".

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
5/12/17 5:23 p.m.

I literally Lol'd when I read this. It reminds me of chemistry professors I had trying to explain how a lab procedure was so simple.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/12/17 5:31 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: The sign in the window said 2018 "dealer special edition" I know this thread was on 2017's, but I just wanted an excuse to brag about my road trip adventure.

But it has a Scion emblem on the nose and there is the Scion sign. Thought Scion as trashed.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
5/12/17 5:58 p.m.

Who knows man. All I know is what I saw. Could've been. In the works before The scion got lopped off.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
5/12/17 10:15 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: Who knows man. All I know is what I saw. Could've been. In the works before The scion got lopped off.

It's the Scion FR-S Concept vehicle from 2011...

2011 FR-S Concept

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/13/17 7:55 a.m.

A friend of mine hated the "throttle close on brake" feature in his Acura 15 years ago.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nhgqPc3b2js8iXbUxzvuWe9ihVw5RdQqmNPaRITt7i6OakqtIQE0B5oA6qGoipFf