1 2
deutschman
deutschman None
8/15/11 8:57 p.m.

Just wanted to say hi to all the other motor heads on here. I just signed up after getting my first issue of GRM in the mail the other day. I love the mag and the web site so fare! I love all kinds of cars, but deep down I am a BMW guy. I got my first car when I was 18, a 1976 BMW 2002. I have also had a 1991 318i (LOVED THAT CAR!), a 1987 325e which I owned for a week , and I now own a 1974 2002 project car which I am trying to get track/auto x ready. My girl friend owns a 2010 135i which we DD. I recently completed the Car Control Clinic that my local BMW CCA chapter holds, and loved every second of it! I am fiending for more time learning at the wheel! Currently I am slowly working on stuffing a strait six cylinder (m20b25) into my 2002. I just finished the motor. The bottom end is stock besides a crank scraper. I polished the exhaust ports and combustion chambers in the head, and sent it off to Morgan's Machine and Marine in Walnut Creek CA for some more work. They pressure tested and cleaned the head, decked the head, did a three angle valve job, and installed new valve guides for me. I then got it back in put it together with a 272 cam. My last semester of college just started so the project is on hold till Christmas, which gives me some time to work and save up some more cash. I have a 5 speed and small case LSD along with many other parts waiting for me in my shed. Oh yeah... I do not have a garage. All my work gets done in a small shed. My dads garage will be hosting my car when it comes time to drop the motor in. If you would like to see my build thread with many pictures and more detail check out my build thread here. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=146243 A few picture as well. My deceased 318i The 135i and my 2002 as it sits now My motor Thanks for having me around! Cheers

NineLivesJohnny
NineLivesJohnny New Reader
8/15/11 8:59 p.m.

welcome!

cwh
cwh SuperDork
8/15/11 9:15 p.m.

Yeah, you will fit in here just fine.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
8/15/11 9:26 p.m.

Welcome: Love the 2002

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/15/11 9:41 p.m.

welcome aboard

deutschman
deutschman New Reader
8/15/11 9:46 p.m.

thanks guys! i am excited to be here.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
8/15/11 10:02 p.m.

I like the picture of the 2002 next to the 135. In person I would like to see a 2002, an E30 and the 135 lined up next to each other for size comparison.

Welcome aboard!
I do wonder, how did you find us?

John
'87 325is

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
8/15/11 11:16 p.m.

Welcome!

Luke
Luke SuperDork
8/15/11 11:21 p.m.

Welcome. Nice '02! You'll find plenty of other old BMW fans among this lot, (as well as any other car you can think of).

Those Corbeau seats are a nice match. Modern, but they don't look out of place.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/15/11 11:52 p.m.

Welcome! Love the 2002......

Are those mesh wheels a set of old MSW's?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/16/11 12:31 a.m.

Yes, welcome. And nice cars, too.

deutschman
deutschman New Reader
8/16/11 1:35 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: I like the picture of the 2002 next to the 135. In person I would like to see a 2002, an E30 and the 135 lined up next to each other for size comparison. Welcome aboard! I do wonder, how did you find us? John '87 325is

Well I cant ever get enough of cars, and I love getting dirty and making things my self. I was looking for a magazine to read that had a good mix of cars, and content. I saw a copy of GRM at a small shop I go to get my alignment and picked it up. After that I had to subscribe.

Welcome! Love the 2002...... Are those mesh wheels a set of old MSW's?

Yep MSW. Sadly one of them is bent, and the others have bad curb rash. They are nice though. I am going to be upgrading some something wider though. These are just 14x6.5 I think...

stan
stan SuperDork
8/16/11 6:28 a.m.

Welcome.

Love the 2002.

What do you think of the 135 so far?

RossD
RossD SuperDork
8/16/11 7:18 a.m.

Too bad you didn't get here sooner; you'd be putting a LSx into the 2002!

Welcome! And feel free to ask about the inside jokes or phrase that don't make sense- it's more fun when you know.

This will get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grassroots_Motorsports#Internet_forum

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
8/16/11 8:14 a.m.

There is obviously no way you will fit in here. We are anti-BMW all the way.

Actually, I grabbed a GRM off the shelf and was enamored. Got on the forum and it was like a shot of harroin. I'm addicted. OK.. Got to go hotlink real quick for a short release...

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Reader
8/16/11 8:42 a.m.
RossD wrote: Too bad you didn't get here sooner; you'd be putting a LSx into the 2002!

or trading it for a miata! glad you didnt i like the 2002 project!

Matt B
Matt B Dork
8/16/11 9:44 a.m.

Love the small bimmer collection you've started there.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
8/16/11 3:39 p.m.

Welcome fellow Californian! Love the 318, looks mean.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Reader
8/16/11 4:31 p.m.

Good to have another SF, CA based reader in the ranks.

ransom
ransom HalfDork
8/16/11 4:41 p.m.

Welcome!

I also have an Atlantik 2002. Glad to see another one being loved and updated!

deutschman
deutschman New Reader
8/16/11 6:01 p.m.
stan wrote: Welcome. Love the 2002. What do you think of the 135 so far?

The 135i is great! I actually did driving school, in it. It is devilishly fun to drive with DTC off I respect Miatas and think they are super cars especially for the price, but they just do not come close to the looks of a 2002. I am sure I would LOVE driving one, but it just would not put the same smile on my face when I see it in my drive way. To each his own. Ill pick the GRM slang up fast I am sure. If I miss something I will ask.

deutschman
deutschman New Reader
8/16/11 6:04 p.m.

I like "SWMBO" lol I am lucky that my girl is a bit of a car nut her self. Just a bit green is all, but I am teaching her. My next step is getting her to do a driving school as well!

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
8/16/11 10:44 p.m.

Willkommen!

Dass 2002 ist wunderschön!

deutschman
deutschman New Reader
8/16/11 11:54 p.m.

Danke! Ich habe noch fiel arbeite zu tun.

deutschman
deutschman New Reader
9/22/11 12:55 a.m.

got a few goodies in the mail today. first car parts ever to show up at the new house! some auto meter gauges (still need a small tach.) and the speed sender that reads at the drive shaft. the bezels are chrome even though they may look black in the picture. dam flash. i am going to paint them black anyways. i guess i am going to need some adapters to fit the sender units. anyone know a good place to get them? as soon as i have some time, which will hopefully be tomorrow afternoon, i will start fabing up the gauge cluster with a spare stock cluster i have.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JheOruisNGnjAxmqr18XlDWsUsca4AH8aWXuwOJOAjZ5Mn3Ykk4ZVGScyeQsO7Zz