jrg77
jrg77 Reader
12/19/14 5:01 a.m.

I had a Shoei X11 in an XL. I am wondering what driving helmet is comparable in size and fit.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields New Reader
12/19/14 5:54 a.m.

You might expect sizing to be consistent across manufacturers, but it doesn't seem to be. Even within the same manufacturer's line, I have concluded that you have to try it on for size. I recently ordered a new Bell, same size as my old Bell, but the old one has always fit great, and the new one is intolerable.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/19/14 7:57 a.m.

Absolutely go try one on somewhere. I thought I knew what size I was from looking at charts online, but fitment is so different for each brand, the only way to know for sure is to try one on. With as much time as you'll (hopefully) be spending with it on, it's worth the hassle.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
12/19/14 8:28 a.m.

It's unfortunately exceedingly difficult to find physical stores that carry SA-rated helmets.

FWIW I was just above the middle of Pyrotect's L sizing, measurement-wise, but I should have bought an XL.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/19/14 9:54 a.m.

Bell had a nifty measuring chart when I ordered my helmet......and while slightly tight in the cheek area, its actually fitted really well.

Also, find someplace that will do free returns for sizing issues.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
12/19/14 10:33 a.m.
yamaha wrote: Bell had a nifty measuring chart when I ordered my helmet......and while slightly tight in the cheek area, its actually fitted really well. Also, find someplace that will do free returns for sizing issues.

The last helmet I bought, a Simpson, is also tight in the cheek area. I think I read somewhere that is by design on the newer helmets.

jrg77
jrg77 Reader
12/19/14 10:42 a.m.

I was expecting to probably need to try on a helmet. I was hoping someone who had/s an X11 also has/d a driver helmet as a starting point. I think the pads are replaceable for a custom fit, no? And does it matter if it is setup for HANS? If set up for that is the helmet dangerous without it?

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
12/19/14 10:46 a.m.

I have always gone by the head size measurement on the charts.

It worked well for me. I always stuck to Simpson and then I bought a G Force. No problems.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
12/19/14 11:18 a.m.
jrg77 wrote: I was expecting to probably need to try on a helmet. I was hoping someone who had/s an X11 also has/d a driver helmet as a starting point. I think the pads are replaceable for a custom fit, no? And does it matter if it is setup for HANS? If set up for that is the helmet dangerous without it?

The HANS setup is unimportant. A SAH (vs. SA) spec helmet just means that it is predrilled for anchors for a HANS device. This is convenient if you are going to use a HANS with it, but not required. Drilling a helmet for anchors is not difficult.

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
12/19/14 12:53 p.m.

My choices were "find someone who sells 3xl and order it sight unseen" and "not drive". So I ordered a 3xl Pyrotect. Head fit fine, cheeks are loose. Got some foam from another helmet and added to the cheek pads until they stayed tight. If I was in the US, I could have ordered the thicker cheek pads (xl or 2x size)from the place I bought it, but shipping to Canada was prohibitive.
Most companies seem to only have 2 size shells (2x and L or M), and then add padding to make it smaller.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
12/19/14 1:09 p.m.

I read this as "helmet seizing" and was wondering exactly how much hair product somebody would have to use for that to happen.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MC6VE9XL478hFWTczahKr2mTmauBdB6dLZ9eSjkYxHbz8RRZUdkTa6lBnztdX50I