wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/23/20 10:30 a.m.

Ok I am really at a loss here. I need someone with the skills to take a look at this EPS/PDF file set that I have made and see if the fonts look correct and if the Pegasus, Castrol and Mille graphics will cut properly. 

I made everything in inkscape and exported with the fonts so I think it should be good. 

Link to the google docs folder is here 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17uz6WTbEfDtoyo5iH7ppJQQgZQ3OU_8T?usp=sharing

Seriously any help would be greatly appreciated.   

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/23/20 11:39 a.m.

so...these have some issues when I look at them on my graphics program, CorelDRAW. Sign shops use different software, but that's what we used at my shop when I was in the biz a decade ago.  

Here's what the EPS file looks like on wireframe view. Wireframe shows you the outlines of the vector shapes - essentiallt what the path the vinyl cutter knife will follow:

Things to notice - Look at the crossing paths in the Telefunken K and E letters. That will but cuts, so that's a problem - they should look more like the N.  Also notice the flat side on the U. This is an artifact of your software's conversion process to EPS and is not there in the pdf. The pdf still has the same issues in the K and E among others. I don't know if those letters were hand drawn that way, or it's just how that software creates the fonts.

Second main issue is that the all the logos are not vectors, they are images. Which means they could be digitally printed but not cut in vinyl. Not sure which process you were wanting to do them in. Cut vinyl would probably look more like the painting that was done in the period.

The good news all of these issues can be corrected by a designer with some work, bad news it will take a some time.  Tracing the logos is either the hard part or not so bad depending on how the tracing software responds to them.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
8/23/20 12:28 p.m.

go to google images ,  put in  "castrol eps"  and there it is a bunch of them.....

and a few for Telefunken too but not in an arch......

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/23/20 12:31 p.m.

FYI, you can usually find vector versions of logos at https://www.brandsoftheworld.com. I took a quick look and Mobil Pegasus, Castrol and Mille Miglia are all there. Download and drop into your design, done. 

To add to Ultraclyde's comments - some of the text is still text and not outlines. Specifically, "radio". If you convert everything to curves you'll have a much better chance of getting the result you want. It's quite easy to clean up the cut lines on Telefunken, that's just a matter of merging the shapes and it can be done in a matter of seconds. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/23/20 1:15 p.m.

Ok so now I know what is up. I was using EPS not vector files for the logos. 

Let me keep working on it. 

Right now I am working blind for the cutter. How do they see the outlines of the cut after the EPS file is made. I assume Roland some someone has software I can download to do that correct?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/23/20 2:57 p.m.

I was able to recreate in CutStudio so that they are now all outlines. Wohoo. But cannopt convert from CSt files to EPS or anything else even though it was that you can on the documentation. 

8/26/20 10:53 a.m.

I just thought to check back on this. What other formats can you produce with Cut Studio? AI? PDF? Maybe you can convert it to something else I can open with Corel and I can convert it to EPS and send it back.

There are still some overlaps in "Radio" but I cna fix that. Are the centers of the A in MIGLIA supposed to be missing?

boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/26/20 11:05 a.m.

Importing into CutStudio is typically the last step of the process, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were no options to export out from .CST into a common vector format.

If your printer uses Roland printers, will they accept your .CST file as a base for the print?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/26/20 11:47 a.m.

I was able to put it in corel draw and export as a PDF and DXF and EPS. Shop is cutting them up for me as we speak. Should be able to pickup on Friday. 

8/26/20 12:05 p.m.

good deal! 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
8/27/20 3:21 p.m.

Hmm relevant to my interests - playing with Mrs. 84FSP's Cricut with intentions of acing meatballs for Rabbit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bdbTBmhl41i3DgHXE81Tt553yASxTlOJHSvmouIofRBDApmTM0qyySIm8eGExnSW