1 2 3
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/3/19 12:17 p.m.

We're still settling into the new place, but of course I've already started shopping for a replacement for the ND I sold last year. Probably looking to buy in the next 2-3 months.

After eating a lot of money in depreciation on the two cars I bought new (the ND and the Evo - both supposed to be long term cars and it didn't work out for ergonomic reasons), I'm thinking about getting a fun car that doesn't implode the wallet - if I wanted the latter I'd just buy an Alfa 4C and be done with it. I drove one and I was in lust.

I won't know until about two weeks from now how much space I actually have in the garage (the PO of the house had asked to store her belongings in there until next Monday) but I don't think there's enough left for a 60s Chrysler Imperial once my wife parks her Range Rover in there.

Main purpose of the car would be having a fun car for road use, no DDing, and maybe one or two Auto-Xs. No track work. I like quirky cars, sporty cars and it doesn't have to be a convertible like the ND was. And no, I'm not buying an RF. The NA Miata and the E34 are staying for now, with the E34 kinda as my daily driver (assuming it passes inspection here).

I've also always wanted to own a car or bike that was built in the year I was born, but the one I'd really want ('68 911) is out of budget.

• I've been offered an '89 911 cabriolet that's got a good body and an OK drivetrain. It's pretty cheap (not a bargain, but cheap). Problem is it needs a lot of interior work and has been resprayed in its original colour for no obvious reason. Plus I told myself I'd buy a coupe if I ever bought another 911. But I drove it and, well, it's an a/c 911 so of course I like it.
  • SAAB Sonnett. The money will more than buy a very nice one and have cash left over. Plus, I like SAABs.
  • Wirewheel has a bunch of Elises that would just about squeeze into my budget, plus they have a wood chassis Marcos that has me drooling.
  • There's a 20B Eunos Cosmo for sale in FL for rather reasonable money, plus a dealer about 4h south of here has three 13B ones in stock. Plus, Cosmos are auto-only, which might help with my foot (although I can drive manual cars with a light clutch).
  • Autozam AZ-1, but I have absolutely no idea if I fit in one.
  • I like the '68 Mercury Cougars looks wise, but I have no idea if they'd make me run away screaming after driving one.
  • A TVR of some sort would be nice.
  • As would be an early 70s Guilia, but it's been decades since I drove a 105 series Alfa and I have no idea if I still like them.
  • A very nice CRX SiR with a glass roof. JDM YO for the win.
  • FD RX-7
  • An X1/9 - I've owned a couple and still have fond memories of them.

Yeah, I know that It's my usual list of automotive disasters. The CRX and the FD are probably the sane choices, and that's saying something. Most of my 911s were good at producing large repair bills so I'm not sure I want another one at this point. I'd also rather broaden my horizon and get something I haven't owned before - out of the list above I've owned a 911, an FD, an S1 Elise (but not an S2), several X1/9s and a DOHC CRX (but not the SiR).

Oh, and mechanical DIY-abilities is kinda useful given our location.

Discuss.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
1/3/19 12:39 p.m.

C6z06. Hahahahaha it’s what I did

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/3/19 12:41 p.m.

I have been toying with the idea of a C5 as I like the looks better. Not that I would mind a C6 much. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
1/3/19 12:50 p.m.

In the same vein as the AZ-1, how about a Honda Beat or Suzuki Cappuccino?  I’d think either of those would be really fun on WV backroads.  I understand the Honda is actually pretty good for tall people, too.

Edit:  oh yeah, based on prior posts, I’d highly recommend something that is pretty much ready to drive, and is at least moderately reliable, so you get to spend more time driving than wrenching.

Second edit:  If you are still having some issues with clutch work, maybe look at a used Mk7 VW GTI with a DSG.  It may not be the most reliable option, but it’s one of the most fun to drive automatic transmission cars I know of.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/3/19 1:00 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Yeah, I pretty much picked the cars such that they're ready to go non-projects that fit within my budget. The NA Miata is my project car, as is the race car. This one should only need maintenance and other wise be ready to hop in.

I'm not a big fan of the Honda Beat, but a Cappucino might well fit the bill also as long as I fit in one at 5'11" - Miatas are already a tight fit.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
1/3/19 1:13 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Haven’t had a chance to try it myself, but I’ve heard the Suzuki is considerably more cramped than the Honda.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/3/19 1:26 p.m.

FD is the only thing on your list that intrigues me. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
1/3/19 1:28 p.m.

I vote Viper, since I have one and love it.

Gen 1 or Gen 2 all day for 30k for an RT/10, (Gen 1 may appreciate sooner, Gen 2 is a little easier to live with) 35k for a GTS with a questionable history or high miles, can get into a Gen 3 convertible (true convertible, not roadster like Gen 1-2) for 33-35k for higher miles.

Really tough to beat for an exotic you can daily, but they make you pay at the pump and on consumables like tires.

They are sweet and rarely seen.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/3/19 1:34 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

I was seriously considering to add a Viper to the list - I've driven the SRT Viper at Bondurant and loved it. My main concern is that my foot and the clutch might not agree, which is why I left it off the list. May have to find one locally to check.

This would be a "few thousand miles a year" fun car that shares fun duties with my motorcycles, so fuel consumption is a secondary concern.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
1/3/19 1:36 p.m.

K20 X1/9

Maybe one like this.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
1/3/19 2:40 p.m.

Rational choice:  FD RX7

Crazy?  '87 928S4  laugh

Or maybe MR2?  '92 MR2 turbo

Or this MR2 (1st one ends in an hour)... another '92 MR2 turbo

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
1/3/19 3:14 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

I came in to say this. I want to do a nice Gen 2 GTS in a few years when I can afford it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/3/19 3:23 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I've owned a nice MR2 turbo (spitting image of the first one, just with leather seats). I think it was nice but not an experience I need to repeat.

Ninja Edit: With my vehicular history, I'm sure a 928 will be just fine. Yeah, right

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/3/19 3:39 p.m.

As a long time Elise/MR2 turbo owner, I would say Viper hands down. 

Thats what I want for certain 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/3/19 3:49 p.m.

Can you touch a 996 Turbo for that price range? Given your 996 experience maybe you wouldn't want to...

I think Viper, Elise, and Esprit are all done depreciating. A bargain turbo 4 cyl Esprit has been a $25k car for the last 10+ years. A clean title (accident free, not just "not rebuilt salvage") is already rare so finding one and keeping it clean will probably net you some decent appreciation - or at least no depreciation.

Stuff like the Autozam or Beat all kind of scare me. Most of the interest in them is due to them being unusual. What happens when another thousand or two of them hit the roads in the US? They're not terribly expensive so you won't lose a lot of money, but I doubt they'll get more valuable.

A Sonnett isn't anywhere near $30k even if it's in amazing condition is it? They look fantastic. I haven't driven one but suspect the driving experience is quite different from a Viper.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/3/19 3:59 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Do you fit in a Europa?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/3/19 4:01 p.m.
dculberson said:

Can you touch a 996 Turbo for that price range? Given your 996 experience maybe you wouldn't want to...

Probably a salvage title automatic one. A really nice one is a $45k-$60k car unfortunately. I can probably get a really nice regular 996 for $20k-30k, but I don't really want one. The appeal of the C3.2 and older 911s is that they're less than complex cars.

I think Viper, Elise, and Esprit are all done depreciating. A bargain turbo 4 cyl Esprit has been a $25k car for the last 10+ years. A clean title (accident free, not just "not rebuilt salvage") is already rare so finding one and keeping it clean will probably net you some decent appreciation - or at least no depreciation.

Hmm, didn't think about the Esprit. Probably another one to add to the list - and yes, whatever I want would have to be a very nice example with a clean title.

Stuff like the Autozam or Beat all kind of scare me. Most of the interest in them is due to them being unusual. What happens when another thousand or two of them hit the roads in the US? They're not terribly expensive so you won't lose a lot of money, but I doubt they'll get more valuable.

Most Capucinos seem to occupy the $6500-10k range, so not much money to lose there. Autozams are $15k cars mostly, same with the Eunos Cosmos (and around $20k for a 20B-equipped one). Major issue with those is parts supply - in the UK I knew several people who imported cars and parts from Japan, but here in the US I have no contacts whatsoever.

A Sonnett isn't anywhere near $30k even if it's in amazing condition is it? They look fantastic. I haven't driven one but suspect the driving experience is quite different from a Viper.

A good Sonnett is something like a $10k-$15k for the last series (the one with the pop-up headlights) and up to about $25k for the Sonnett III either with the two-smoke or the V4. They're more of a really lightweight low power car with an on/off switch throttle. Obviously a Viper would be a completely different beast.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
1/3/19 4:21 p.m.

Think my buddy has a 20b cosmos in stock for 14k

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
1/3/19 4:23 p.m.

Ive been watching V8 vantage prices lately. You might be able to slip into one at 35ish. Especially an auto convertible. Otherwise, my recommendation is XKR. 

Edit: V8 vantage 35k dude has interesting cars in his stable. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
1/3/19 4:34 p.m.

Get a ‘68 Vette.  As long as you go small block (and there’s nothing wrong with that) it should be in your price range.  It is a C3 but it’s absolutely the coolest C3 and bears only a slight resemblance to the bloated out disco-mobiles.  And while you might not make money, you won’t lose any either 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/3/19 4:35 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Do you fit in a Europa?

I think I might, haven't had a chance to try one for size.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/3/19 4:37 p.m.
yupididit said:

That might be of interest - wanna pm me some more details?

Re the Vantage, my main concern is that they're a bit on the new side and it might affect DIY-ability. 

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
1/3/19 4:56 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:
dculberson said:

Probably a salvage title automatic one. A really nice one is a $45k-$60k car unfortunately. I can probably get a really nice regular 996 for $20k-30k, but I don't really want one. The appeal of the C3.2 and older 911s is that they're less than complex cars.

I was thinking about selling my 996 C4 to buy a Torino or Triumph TR3.  Buy mine and have $9000 left over from your $30K.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
1/3/19 5:08 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:
yupididit said:

That might be of interest - wanna pm me some more details?

Re the Vantage, my main concern is that they're a bit on the new side and it might affect DIY-ability. 

Re: v8 vantage.  From my research, you shouldn't have an issue on diy stuff and they're fairly reliable.  

This his site. 

https://www.japaneseclassics.com

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/3/19 5:21 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Ah, I'm actually following his company on Facebook .

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t66x92ZTuF50glQgd5ZQgKSorqS73FRm4O4HZyzMMxugLc3A4ya9kqbASGX2KuP7