1 2
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/30/20 8:34 a.m.

I like the Infiniti suggestions.  They offered a lot of awd sedans.  Not always the biggest back seat.  I'd too love a M56!  

How about the SUV disguised as a sedan?  The Lincoln MKS or Taurus/SHO.  Enormous back seat leg room!  The base engine is 3.7L NA or the 3.5L EcoBoost gives some real motivation.  FWD and AWD versions.   The SUV version of the same platform (MKT and Flex) can tow 4,000 lbs.  I would think the sedan version does the same.  

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
9/30/20 9:57 a.m.

I've been doing a lot of research this morning. Here are my findings on the different suggestions:

- Jeep Grand Cherokee: people want crazy money for those! It's out.

- Lexus GS: found one that needs a front strut. Checked on Rockauto and other sites...no front struts? Aftermarket parts availability seems dismal. What's up with that? 

- Lincoln MKS/Taurus: That one could have been interesting. I drove an Ecoboost Flex and liked it for what it is. But they are a bit out of my price range. Oddly, the Lincoln's seem cheaper than the equivalent Taurus. Maybe if I find a good deal on an Ecoboost.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/30/20 11:05 a.m.

The default answer for this question is the nicest/newest Lexus LS that fits in your budget, right?

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
9/30/20 11:14 a.m.

Count me in the Lexus LS group. My son just bought am LS400 a month ago, I've driven it and am truly impressed with how smooth the V8 is.  Buy the nicest one that fits your budget, I checked parts availability on Rockauto before he bought it and it's pretty good.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
9/30/20 1:02 p.m.

From looking at how much people want for their Lexus LS, they sure must be GREAT, fantastic cars.  surprise

In my budget, I could only afford an early 90's example and with all the salt we have around here, it's a bad idea no matter how reliable it may be.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/30/20 2:48 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

I like the Infiniti suggestions.  They offered a lot of awd sedans.  Not always the biggest back seat.  I'd too love a M56!  

How about the SUV disguised as a sedan?  The Lincoln MKS or Taurus/SHO.  Enormous back seat leg room!  The base engine is 3.7L NA or the 3.5L EcoBoost gives some real motivation.  FWD and AWD versions.   The SUV version of the same platform (MKT and Flex) can tow 4,000 lbs.  I would think the sedan version does the same.  

They ARE sedans... really only a mid size sedan, for my tastes in cars! The mkt and flex are mid size sedans, pretending to be suv’s. Course I have a different definition of luxo-barge that most on this site! I prolly owned a couple dozen cars and trucks before the marketing term SUV was coined!!!

Heck, the panther is really only a mid size sedan... ask anybody that has had to use the back seat for more than 2 miles!!!!

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
9/30/20 3:00 p.m.

Ford Panther is just so much the answer. Seats 6 adults resonably comfortable, comfy, reliable, thirsty, huge trunk, soaks up bumps like a bump-soaking-machine. I borrowed a Grand Marquis for a few weeks while my BMW was in the shop and it was lovely. Only thing I didn't like was the light steering.

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
9/30/20 3:43 p.m.

I'll just say we use the new Taurus at my job and they don't hold up any where near as well as the crown vics did. We had a lot of transmission issues with the first few years, the front cv's don't seem to last long, and the interior isn't really comfortable for bigger people(including me at 6'3 and 220lbs) I'm not a fan of the awd as in the wet it doesn't feel predictable when driven aggressively. They crash well though. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/30/20 4:47 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Suspension mods, though not a common as others, have been done to enough panthers now that they can be dialed in to particular tastes well enough. The meh engine (ford should rename the series!!!) can be improved/replaced, but it’s just so dang expensive!!! I want a three pedal Merc., but I can buy a stick car for less! 

The trunk is HUGE, but broke up in several areas, so does not hold individual large things well

my cousin borrowed my car while shopping for a replacement for her car... went to lunch with the young uns at her work... they could not BELIEVE there is a modern car that will seat 6 people!!!

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/30/20 5:46 p.m.

Yeah the Crown Vic and it’s siblings won’t fulfill your desire for power. V8 noises yes, but not fast. The Marauder is cool but I’m pretty sure a same year V6 Accord is faster in a straight line.

They do everything else really well though.

Friend of mine has a V8 Magnum, it’s pretty sweet. It’s not “luxury” but it’s refined enough to be comfy on long trips.

edit: Magnum could be awd with a V8 too.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/30/20 5:51 p.m.

Ehh. I'm not into a crown Vic up north. 

m35x.  That's a good one. If you can find an m45x that's the business. Or an m56x.  Awd. V8 nice luxury. 

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
10/1/20 9:42 a.m.
Sonic said:

E class Mercedes, you pick the level of power

After showing this thread to my GF yesterday, she asked me why I didn't look into Mercedes. 

So I did a little research this morning and I am shocked how cheap the 2000's E-class and S-class are. Like cheaper than an equivalent Chrysler 300c. And there appears to have a ton of well maintained, low-mileage cars to choose from.

So what's the catch? Are they really that terrible that I will curse the day I bought one?

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
10/1/20 9:53 a.m.

They are like most euro cars in that poorly maintained examples will be expensive if you have to pay someone to work on it.  My personal experience is with a CLS63 that I had for 5 years with only one non maintenance repair of an ignition coil, everything else was normal maintenance and wear.  All parts were readily available and only the AMG specific stuff was expensive.   The car was easy to work on too, all done logically.   My car had always been very well maintained since new. 

There are some specific problem areas to address (ABC for example on S class)  and motors to avoid (diesel v6), but they are all well documented.   We had a good enough experience we bought another, 2017 E400.  

Don't expect Lexus like lack of maintenance and reliability or Crown Vic parts prices, but I was pleasantly surprised in both categories at how reasonable it was.  

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/1/20 6:14 p.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yhXdsYLpeBzfKVZHLOqcBVG4ka1ss2g2LHCo4mhBrUrO97aetBaG4PyUjMejmVHJ