1 2
Opti
Opti Dork
9/14/22 5:13 p.m.

I might be looking to replace the family mobile.

Requirements

Not boring

Not crazy sports car either

Cool

Has to baby

Probably newish

Top of the budget may be around 50 obviously cheaper is better 

Considering larger cars (4 doors and smaller SUVs)

Acceptable levels of Not boring is something like a AWD Eco Flex. The gentleman's SHO,  don't hit me with a CRV unless you have a reason it's not boring

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/14/22 5:22 p.m.

Your requirements of "I need a cool family car under $50k, that's not boring" leaves a lot of choices

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/14/22 5:33 p.m.

Maybe a clue might be of what you driving today?  Something similar?  

This is what I want and the Cadillac Blackwings fit the bill.....except pricing and availability.

Opti
Opti Dork
9/14/22 6:02 p.m.

Potential replacement for a volt. Not terrible fuel economy would be good.

Trying to make sure I'm not missing anything, and yall always have the wildest recommendations I never thought of.

Things I'm thinking about

Bronco

Stinger

4 door hyundai N car (elaborate right?)

ATS/CT4 awd auto

Kia Telluride (there pretty and I like them)

Maverick

What am I missing

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/14/22 6:18 p.m.

2010-2019 Infiniti M56.

420hp

Available in AWD

Sleeper that's exciting.

Pretty sure the 350z LSD diff will drop in.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15129216/2011-infiniti-m56-road-test/

Rramirez
Rramirez New Reader
9/14/22 6:47 p.m.

We looked at the telluride/palisade for my wife and ended up with the sorento. It is far more fun to drive (2.5T 8speed DCT AWD) than the others. I'm anti suv and truly enjoy driving it. We are coming up on 1 year and 16k miles and love it 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/14/22 6:51 p.m.

The 2014 Touareg I just bought scoots pretty good and you can probably pick up a used Cayenne Turbo S for $50k that would be stupid fast. 

550hp and 550 torque is fun no matter what you put it in. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/14/22 6:52 p.m.

I'm going to suggest a cpo Cayenne if you can lol

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
9/14/22 6:53 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

The Volvo EV is about $50000 new. I don't know if it's eligible for the $7500 tax credit or reduction available Jan 1  but my wife loves it's looks.  
  I don't know if your state offers a supplemental rebate or reduction. Plus some states offer free charger upgrades. 

Opti
Opti Dork
9/14/22 8:08 p.m.

I'll check out the Sorento and the M56. I've worked on too many cayenne and touaregs to consider one. I do like the way they drive, I don't want to maintain one though.

Also out on Bimmers, VWs and Audis.

Forgot it has to be automatically shifted.

Added a couple otherw to the list

Volvo V60 wagon

TLX 

Integra

Civic Si

She's going to want to look at Teslas

Kia EV6 

Mazda 3 turbski

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/14/22 9:47 p.m.

When I wrote my short retort above the Stinger was one that came to mind for the being sedan and  a hatch.  

I like the M56 too.  But an economy car it will not be!  

Once you added about replacing a Volt, then Tesla really has to enter the conversation.  That Kia EV6 and the Hyundai counterpart seem like neat offerings that could be game changers.  

You fought to keep the Volt (after accident) with the CPO warranty intact.  I think you should keep it through that warranty at least!  Does CPO transfer to new owner if you sell?  

Opti
Opti Dork
9/14/22 11:18 p.m.

The wife was a big fan of EVs and still is to a point but is starting to see the limitations and compromises you make with one, and agreed a full ev would result in us buying 2 cars instead of 1, but they aren't completely off the table.

My volt has like 120k miles and has been wrecked a bunch, it has no warranty anymore, and hasn't for quite a while.

Since I have the least reasonable taste in cars, her car ends up being the family car, which I end up driving quite a bit. So it needs to be a normal enough car to make her happy everyday, not so boring I hate driving it, safe enough for the family, and reliable enough that we'd hop in it and drive across TX

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/14/22 11:27 p.m.

Chevy SS, the last muscle car. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
9/15/22 12:06 a.m.

don't know how good the V60 is, but years after introduction I still really like the looks inside and outside.

Here's a publicity shot for encouragement:

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
9/15/22 6:34 a.m.

I'm not completely clear on what direction you want to go because you said you don't want boring, however the Telluride/Palisade, Bronco, Maverick are on the list.  They are boring as sin from a driving perspective.  I know first hand about the Palisade, my ex just bought one.  Fabulous SUV, but boring as hell.  

If you're going the family sedan route, look at the Honda Accord.  Anyone who says the 2.0T Sport or Touring is boring has never driven one.  They are terrific sports sedans, easily tunable to be faster than it already is, loaded with luxuries and Honda reliable.  If your budget is $50k, you can buy a used one and save half of your money.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/15/22 6:55 a.m.

Stinger GT or it's cousin the genesis G70 would fit that bill, be new and in your price range. 

sonata N-line. Kia K5(artist formerly known as Optima). 

ioniq 5. 

just a few that wouldn't suck. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
9/15/22 7:04 a.m.

My first thought was Stinger for the hatchback yet sporty four door. 

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 7:15 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I realize most suvs won't be great drivers. I just really like the telluride, broncos, and mavericks. Mainly I think they are pretty and cool.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/15/22 7:19 a.m.

$50k buys a whole lot of used SRT stuff right?

I'm seeing naturally aspirated Charger SRT8s with <30k miles, and Hellcat Chargers with <60k miles, as well as Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8s with <60k miles in that $40-50k range. Haven't looked for a Durango SRT but they might be there too.

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
9/15/22 7:27 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

I'm going to suggest a deletion from that list:  Stinger.

I had a 2020 Stinger GT AWD. It was a fabulous car with huge power and among the best looking sedans on the market IMHO.  

The not-so-obvious issue:  the back seat has good leg and knee room, but literally zero foot room.

At 6'2" I was comfortable in the drivers seat, but my 11 yo daughter couldn't sit behind me because my seat was so low her toes only had 1.5" of space to jamb into.

While that doesn't matter with a baby, it will matter when that baby grows.

It's a shame too, that car was really good other than that huge issue.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
9/15/22 7:28 a.m.

CTS-V. AMG Benzo. Lexus FSport something or other. Panamera. 

For my wife it would be a Bronco or Lexus product. For me it would be probably an m5.

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 7:31 a.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 :

I'll have to check out the leg room. Thanks

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 7:32 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

The ctsV is probably a little more wild than we are looking. I don't think the baby mobile needs 650hp.

Maybe just a cts though

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
9/15/22 8:19 a.m.

I will have to agree in striking out the Stinger.  I was all hot on them until I got to drive a few.  They are very nice cars, don't get me wrong.  I know that's damning it with faint praise, but that's how I feel.  They're really good, but for the same money you can do far better.  If they were the bargains that Hyundai/Kia once were, I'd feel differently.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/15/22 8:22 a.m.
STM317 said:

$50k buys a whole lot of used SRT stuff right?

I'm seeing naturally aspirated Charger SRT8s with <30k miles, and Hellcat Chargers with <60k miles, as well as Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8s with <60k miles in that $40-50k range. Haven't looked for a Durango SRT but they might be there too.

You missed this part:

"Not terrible fuel economy would be good."

And why do you hate him so much? I wouldn't wish used mopar on anyone here.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aKLJKJ9lJ1pups989NQt0ncJpakjckGDBHNTMvj5MQ3fGHGDKhL7oBdcwrxDx1oi