1 2
STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/15/22 8:31 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

True, the fuel economy of an SRT8 isn't great, but OP is also considering Broncos which are rated between 17-21mpg combined so... I'd bet an SRT product is a much nicer highway cruiser across TX too!

At least I didn't suggest a used Maserati Quattroporte or Alfa Quadrifoglio!

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/15/22 8:48 a.m.

I assume since Bimmers and Porsche is out, then so is Benz? Lol

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/15/22 8:53 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

a least those sound cool to say and sound cool when they're running

chaparral
chaparral Dork
9/15/22 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

Model 3 RWD?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/15/22 11:55 a.m.

Is this your first kid? Something I never realized was how freaking huge rear facing child seats where. I can not fit comfortably in the front seat of our CX9 with the kid's seat in back at 6'2".

I have a Mazda 3. My wife (5'4") can comfortably fit in the front seat with the seat in the back. I have no chance.

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 12:18 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'm not a Mopar hater. I know what I'm getting into, and I can fix them. My last dodge had like 350k miles and my dad's just crossed 500k. Both modern gassers.

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 12:19 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I like the broncos wife not a fan. A bronco is a long shot

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 12:19 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yah not a benz fan as a reliable daily. I'd probably take one as a toy though

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 12:21 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Yah first kid of our own, but we've done a lot with our neice since she was born, so we've at least got an idea of what we are up against.

It worked in the volt, but the cramped back seat and weird roofline made it a bigger pain than it needed to be.

I've also added the CT5 to the list. They aren't terrible priced for what you get. They have super cruise, massage seats, good chassis, and the turbo 6. SWMBO thinks they look good.

Still really digging the Volvo wagon though. That is a design that's going to hold up

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 3:18 p.m.

Added the Regal TourX to the list if I can actually find one

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
9/15/22 3:22 p.m.

BMW 328i wagon (E91) - half your budget if you go for the last model year with low miles, manual, rear-wheel drive. I absolutely love mine; the only thing it doesn't do is tow. For that reason, I would consider a gen2 base cayenne with a manual, also within your budget. These are at least interesting compared to 90% of the suggestions (c'mon, guys, where's the imagination!) 

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
9/15/22 3:23 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

Is this your first kid? Something I never realized was how freaking huge rear facing child seats where. I can not fit comfortably in the front seat of our CX9 with the kid's seat in back at 6'2".

I have a Mazda 3. My wife (5'4") can comfortably fit in the front seat with the seat in the back. I have no chance.

For my first kid, I bought a Mini Clubman JCW, and that turned out to be a fantastic car for the job. Couldn't do two car seats though, but one was fine. I'm 5'10", so that helped a little though. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/15/22 4:50 p.m.

If you're fitting a carseat then you'll want a sedan with a longwheel base (extra rear legroom) at a minimum. Given your distrust full Euro cars as a daily then maybe a Cadi or Lexus. For CUV/SUV I don't know if any will be fun and efficient at the same time lol. 

Ford Edge ST or Explorer ST?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/15/22 6:13 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Shhhh ... Infiniti.

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 6:28 p.m.

In reply to cyow5 :

Has to be auto for the wife. RWD is not a plus for her. I'll do FWD but prefer AWD. I've owned a BMW and don't want my reliable, family, road trip car to be one.

I have a truck for towing.

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 6:30 p.m.

In reply to cyow5 :

My mom owned a JCW countryman in like 16 or 17. Not a fan of the ergonomics or maintenance.

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 6:32 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I don't need or want a sports car I just don't want a full blown appliance.

I know most of the CUVs or SUVs aren't going to be exciting, but we will still be driving a couple.

We will be checking out the Ford STs.

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Nothing really excited me in the infiniti or Nissan line. The reviews are pretty much all the same, does nothing great, it's kinda good, but x does this better.

We will be driving a q50 though

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
9/15/22 10:18 p.m.

Alfa Stelvio. Are the used Q4 s under 50?  
wont be boring. They have good reviews for driving fun for SUVs. I like Volvo XC60 plug in hybrid. Kona N? It's a SUV of sorts. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/15/22 10:31 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

You need the Infiniti V8 experience.  The whole rest of the line is blah.  The V8 talks to your soul.

Opti
Opti Dork
9/15/22 11:52 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Do they currently put a V8 in a car?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
9/16/22 6:51 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

Only the SUV now. Sadly the M56 ended in 2019. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HOF4F4tIug3VWnq5F7DIbBr00J2LgfWBQdBTQcdc45pJ4EbS5O6UQ07UTZCb6rBH