1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 SuperDork
11/10/11 6:26 p.m.

I was thinking 968 with the tiptronic but 5k really will not get you one you want to own.

Hummmmm

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
11/10/11 6:39 p.m.

A Corolla hatchback

a few pics for pedigree

my fav

Prices for a soild chassis are about $2000. auto, A/C and P/S were available so could be built-in. Engine choices... anything from a 1UZ(V8), to a small bore, high strung 4AGE. With SOME of the engine options you could get yourself a manual transmission 6 speed, and have it converted to paddle shift, for the V8 you could use a Lexus gearbox. There ARE automatic transmissions that were available in 1983 that fit the back of a 4AGE, if you just wanted a plan jane autobox

TONS of options... btw the car is rwd, has a cavenous hatch, capable of carrying a Sleep Number queen size bed

mthomson22
mthomson22 New Reader
11/10/11 7:16 p.m.

Thank you guys for the myriad of interesting choices.

The Whistler Mustang is a damn cool idea.

There's actually an automatic Scarab for sale locally at a reasonable price, but no p/s with that heavy V8 isn't something I want to wrestle with.

Correct on the Vette sills being rediculously difficult for ingress/egress.

AE86's are always on my radar....but no immediately recognizable liveries.

WRC inspired paint on the ZX3 is hovering in the top 5.....if only Sebastion Loeb had driven one :)

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
11/10/11 7:23 p.m.

Mustang! Mustang! Mustang!

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
11/10/11 8:33 p.m.

Since the BTCC Volvo wagons are an unknown to most folks here (I mean in the U.S., not on this bb) I'd say go in that direction as it most fits your needs.

Other options? A 4 wheel drive pickup truck done like a Baja racer, depending on where you live. (In some parts of the country they are almost cliches.)

mmosbey
mmosbey Reader
11/10/11 11:20 p.m.

I've had a folding chair in the back of a 1st gen RX-7, but it involved lifting straight up with fully extended arms to get the chair out.

Hmmm... Not sure of the size of a non-folding chair...

• Taurus SHO (It is a very large trunk.)
  • Volvo P1800 ES
  • MGB GT (good luck finding a slushbox, and probably not enough room)
  • VW GTI
  • Typhoon (not exactly your speed, and probably too expensive unless it's beat)
  • Isuzu Vehicross (I hear they're fun to rally-x, but again, a little above your price range)
  • Dodge Rampage (Google it. Drop in some FWD go-fast stuff.)
  • GLH\GLHS
  • Mazda REPU
  • Pintos are RWD, have racing history, and come in a wagon.
  • CRX
  • Just for fun, this or this.
mthomson22
mthomson22 New Reader
11/11/11 6:44 a.m.

SHO - too bland styling wise, P1800 - beautiful, but just not quite right for me, MGB GT - likely way too small, GTI - if I could find an auto 1st gen that could be the one, Typhoon - too high for ingress/egress, Vehicross - see previous, Rampage - racing pedigree?, GLH - see previous, REPU - WTH is that?, Pinto - duly noted - thank you, CRX - mmmm, possibly, BREADVAN - OH HECK YES!!!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/11/11 6:46 a.m.

I think that some form of trans swap with a BMW SMG or other auto-shifting manual would make for both a looker and a really satisfying drive with plenty of cool factor to talk about over beers when parked.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
11/11/11 7:36 a.m.

So halfway through the second page and no one suggested an E30 yet.

what is going on around here anymore???

mthomson22
mthomson22 New Reader
11/11/11 7:46 a.m.

Had an E30 earlier this year, and I'll likely be banned for saying this, I ABSOLUTELY hated the non adjustable steering wheel angle. It was a looker tho.

I was going to post a pic...but think button no worky this morning

mmosbey
mmosbey Reader
11/11/11 8:22 a.m.
mthomson22 wrote: SHO - too bland styling wise, P1800 - beautiful, but just not quite right for me, MGB GT - likely way too small, GTI - if I could find an auto 1st gen that could be the one, Typhoon - too high for ingress/egress, Vehicross - see previous, Rampage - racing pedigree?, GLH - see previous, REPU - WTH is that?, Pinto - duly noted - thank you, CRX - mmmm, possibly, BREADVAN - OH HECK YES!!!

Well, the Rampage could be given some Shelby bits like this, but yeah, no racing pedigree otherwise.

REPU = Mazda Rotary Engine Pickup. Think RX-7 meets Chevy LUV. I don't think they've ever been raced by any major outfit, but hey, the engine has some pedigree. I might withdraw this suggestion though, as rotaries in general, and early rotaries in particular, don't pair well with automatics.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
11/11/11 8:30 a.m.

Saab/Legacy/D series Inegra/Ion Redline

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku Dork
11/11/11 8:57 a.m.

Audi 200 Quattro wagon. Lots of room, 5 cyl turbo, power everything, and lots of rally cred.

theenico
theenico New Reader
11/11/11 9:45 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Audi 200 Quattro wagon. Lots of room, 5 cyl turbo, power everything, and lots of rally cred.

Except that an auto trans was not available on any coupe, 4000, 5000, 80, 90, 100, or 200 with quattro. The only pre '91 Audi that had both auto and quattro was the V8.

The FWD versions of the above vehicles (turbo or not) had some of the worst automatic transmissions in history.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku Dork
11/11/11 10:00 a.m.

Crap.

mthomson22
mthomson22 New Reader
11/11/11 10:01 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Crap.

ditto

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
11/11/11 10:45 a.m.

A-body Mopar with a receiver hitch and a cargo platform would let you carry any wheelchair or scooter.

Early Barracudas, Valiants, and Darts have FIA, SCCA, NASCAR, and other assorted racing history, were available in automatic or stick form, and offer lots of power options.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/11/11 12:28 p.m.

Probe GT. The more stylistically unique of the GD chassis cars that carried the F2T. Unless you can find one of the rarer than hens teeth 626 5 doors, I'd say PGT. Dirt cheap too.

mthomson22
mthomson22 New Reader
11/11/11 1:15 p.m.

Think more along vintage racer lines....but thanks for the suggestion.

mthomson22
mthomson22 New Reader
11/11/11 1:19 p.m.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/08/12/random-snap-gt-gt-race-wagon.aspx

Now this looks very interesting....vintage with a twist. Could look quite proper in authentic BRE livery.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
11/11/11 2:19 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: What about something like this (not sure if it's got power steering though): http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/2688471825.html

I'd be reeeaaal tempted by this. Seems to be a pretty cheap for how clean it is. That said, I'm not exactly familiar with v8-Z swaps, so there may be red flags there I didn't identify.

Also, most people are very nostalgic about the early z-cars. Multiple liveries to choose from or just slap some cool gold vintage meshies on the current green job and add some decals - we're in business.

mthomson22
mthomson22 New Reader
11/11/11 2:26 p.m.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2599347285.html

here's the one for sale locally. Minor issues...but no power steering with that big lump up front sound like something unpleasant at slower speeds.

klb67
klb67 None
11/11/11 3:16 p.m.

Long time lurker, first post. vintage mustang coupe - trans am style. Big trunk. More common and less expensive generally than the fastback. Lowered, torq thrust wheels, cage, blacked out hood, etc.

mthomson22
mthomson22 New Reader
11/11/11 3:31 p.m.
klb67 wrote: Long time lurker, first post. vintage mustang coupe - trans am style. Big trunk. More common and less expensive generally than the fastback. Lowered, torq thrust wheels, cage, blacked out hood, etc.

Very, very high on the list. Even with a 6 popper.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/11/11 3:35 p.m.

Vintage IMSA MX-6..... same driveline as the PGT. Lighter too!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7eDWOKuDlziPEXejUWc3xpzZz91eHkGqcKIIcuvYAX4XlfHsojIx804uYnONcTbN