classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
9/7/21 11:42 a.m.

Looking for help from the hive in getting 1st gear ironed out before pulling the engine to address other issues!

The shifter is a Fairbanks Racing, and has been floppy/unmounted since I picked up the car.

All I changed was mounting the transmission properly, and now I can't get 1st gear. I didn't touch the cables or linkage at the transmission. I took the proper mount off, and moved the trans around with a jack and was still unable to get it somewhere that I could pull 1st.

Am I hallucinating that I ever got it in gear? Could something have slipped? You can see the link bolt hitting trans pan.. Never messed with any of this before.

Trans is in 2nd for the pictures.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/7/21 11:52 a.m.

Well, the real problem is that the cable sheath is attached to the underside of the car

so you lost some cable travel when you changed trans mount.

• Disconnect sheath from underside of car.
  • Place shifter in 1st.
  • Place trans in 1st.
  • Reconnect sheath to underside of car.
  • ?
  • Profit.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/7/21 11:58 a.m.

Also, is the arm on the trans repositionable? May need to go. afew splines over for more travel.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
9/7/21 12:34 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, these steps (I think) will get me there. Had time to pop out and remove the stud/move trans freely and found an "extra" gear in front of park, and no gears behind 2nd, so going to with the transmission and shifter just had different things going on. 

Feel dumb for posting this, but will confirm all gears later and move on!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/7/21 12:41 p.m.

Agree with Duster, that's a pretty unfavorable angle between lever and cable. Maybe limited by ground clearance? Regardless, make sure that lever is properly keyed to the selector shaft, because slop there will be a problem.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
765iF7JeZnEyxJwn6FFXlHG2bpjpEnaB7NBNIyj3czJBE0KpTuXWJdXIldWdySAi