_
_ Reader
4/20/19 5:53 p.m.

We have discovered a coolant leak where the water crossover pipe exits the water pump. Steel to steel. There’s a little o ring in there that’s failed. The bad part is it requires complete removal of the water pump to remove the pipe, and that means getting into the timing area. 

This car is about 3 weeks from bon voyage status. We wanna seal the leak, but we also don’t wanna be scumbags and pass that “karma” onto the next guy. Any decent sealers we could use on that pipe joint?

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/20/19 8:01 p.m.

From the outside? Almost certainly no. If you want to dump stopleak into it, I've had pretty decent luck with several. Too bad I cant remember any of their names!! Last car i dumped stopleak into had a coolant leak between the timing cover and the block, fairly major repair and i was just trying to put it off and buy customer time to make more money.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
4/20/19 11:47 p.m.

As the recent recipient of a vehicle that was "repaired" with stop-leak, please DON'T.  I have all kinds of issues from that; plugged heater core, coated temp sensor that tells my gauge I'm running about 140 degrees... just skip it.

Honestly, I would try selling it with full disclosure about the leak.  You might get someone who is a wrencher who is happy to fix it themselves.  List it with "coolant leak, needs P/N xxxx for $1.34 on the water crossover pipe where it exits the water pump."  If they didn't fully research how involved it is to fix... that's on them.  If you don't sell it, then fix it right and re-list for a bit more.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
4/21/19 12:12 a.m.

Listen to Curtis. Please. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/21/19 7:21 a.m.

Anything other than either fixing it properly or full disclosure is being a “scumbag”. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
4/21/19 7:29 a.m.

Horse E36 M3.

seriously.  Read Herman the German.  A book by and about Gerhard Neumann.  A fellow whom if things had happened just a tiny bit differently would have ended up fighting for the Luftwaffe but instead served with our Flying Tigers in Burma and would go on to found what would become GE Aircraft Engines.  

Gerhard mentions several times that plain old horse dung is the best possible stop-leak there is in a cooling system.  I think the oats may play into it somehow.  

https://www.amazon.com/Herman-German-Master-Sergeant-10500000/dp/0688016820

A sharp dude and a great read.  In fact, GE Aircraft is located on a road named in his honor: 1 Neumann Way Cincinnati, OH  :-)

_
_ Reader
4/21/19 11:54 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

ehhh.... yeah....ok man....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fUJ35QVfYHGJKkk4w8SnNJqfH2rQ6pWbFdnSwbuAGRYsSLohy6kjbhyzwJTGugGo