1 2
shelbyz
shelbyz Reader
8/20/20 4:54 p.m.

Not sure exactly how I arrived at this, but I've decided I want my next DD to VVTI 2UZ-FE equipped Toyota or Lexus SUV. This would include the following vehicles:

Looking around in the sub $10k to around $15k price range, this seems to mostly encompass the 2005-09 GX470, 4Runner and Sequoia. However if I expand my search a bit, I get a small handful of 2006-07 LX470's and Land Cruisers in the price range.

Ideally, I'd be using this as a DD that comfortably and reliably gets me through Michigan winters, tows an occasional project car here and there, and comfortably seats three additional adults for short or long drives.

So far, I feel like I'm leaning toward the GX470, while I'm also intrigued at the prospect of owning an LX470 or Land Cruiser. I'm not as excited by the 4Runner or Sequoia, but I can't ignore the Sequoia from a value standpoint or that the 4Runner seems to be the most fuel efficient of all these thirsty vehicles. I'm guessing someone here is likely to sell me on their merits and make the choice even more difficult angry

Which would you choose? Anyone have any experience with any of these, good or bad? Any that should be avoided completely?

LarryNH (Forum Supporter)
LarryNH (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/20/20 5:06 p.m.

I owned a LX470 for 13 years and 230K miles.  Trouble free (mostly) as long as you keep up with maintenance.  Driver seat leather wore out.  Michelins lasted 55K miles.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/20/20 5:10 p.m.

Even @ $15k the number of miles on those trucks, as reliable as they are, just makes me go blah. I and a few others have done threads on this specific one recently.

The cost of used SUVs that can tow 5k or more pounds at the moment, is making us rethink our existing plans. So we are holding until next year to see how things look.....mostly regarding other vehicles. Toyota's will keep the tax and used values are up right now because dealers have been cleared out.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/20/20 5:13 p.m.
docwyte
docwyte UberDork
8/20/20 5:14 p.m.

We had a 2008 GX470, bought it Lexus certified in 2012 with 39k miles.  Sold it at 127k miles I think.  It was great until 113k miles reliability wise, typical Toyota.  Gas, tires, brakes, oil.  That last 15k miles tho *everything* broke.  I was constantly underneath it fixing stuff.  Some of it was simple maintenance and some of it was wear items, but ALL the wear items basically broke at the same time.

In that time period I did:

Spark plugs, cabin air filter, engine air filter, fixed a water leak from the front roof rack foot, radiator, serpentine belt, alternator, battery, both front axles, shocks/struts all the way round, tires, front brakes. 

Then the steering rack started to leak.  At the mileage it had the rear air springs and secondary air pump fail too. 

That was it for me, I tapped out on it as the steering rack was close to $3000 at the Toyota Indy shop or an entire weekend of my time. 

Something for you to be aware of, the GX470's are NOT built like the LandCruisers!

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/20/20 5:51 p.m.

Obviously I am a big fan of the Sequoia, but as a daily driver I don't know how much I would enjoy it because it's just really big. I had a 2008 4Runner before it which was much better for daily driving, though obviously could not carry as much load when towing and hauling lots of gear. The Sequoia overall has been a great truck but it is big and lumbering for sure. I would probably lean toward a Land cruiser myself.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
8/20/20 6:02 p.m.

Why are Land Cruisers so expensive? Lawd 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/20/20 7:03 p.m.

Buy a Land Cruiser and basically get a free lease on it, because you'll probably sell it for about the same money you paid for it.  They're good but I really don't get the cult status.  As a DD they're too big on the outside and too small on the inside. Obviously many people disagree.

I'm a huge Toyota fanboi and recently set out on a search like yours. Ended up buying an F-150.  It just didn't make any sense to pay more for a Toyota that was older and had 100k more miles. Pretty much every manufacturer has been making great cars for the last 10 years, the difference between Toyota and everyone else is not nearly as big as it used to be. 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/20/20 7:23 p.m.

I was in the same boat, stretching to 460 money was one of my better choices in life. So glad I made that choice, its worlds ahead of a gx470 in almost every respect. 

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
8/20/20 7:25 p.m.

My land  cruiser has 432k miles but was dealer serviced until 400k miles.  I have only had to replace a coil pack in the 15k miles ive had it.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/20/20 9:07 p.m.
yupididit said:

Why are Land Cruisers so expensive? Lawd 

New ones start at like $87k

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/20/20 9:27 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Even @ $15k the number of miles on those trucks, as reliable as they are, just makes me go blah. I and a few others have done threads on this specific one recently.

At $10k they seem near-bottom for the most part (so long as you keep them in good condition) so they are actually pretty enticing.  The difference between a 150k and 350k mile Sequoia is only a few thousand.  Same with a Land Cruiser.  Keep any of them long enough and they may go up in value.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/20/20 10:36 p.m.

GX470.... get one without Nav if you can.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
8/21/20 12:10 a.m.

I DD'd a lifted Sequoia in DC and Seattle for most of last year. It's big and cumbersome but it works. Maintenance is easy to do yourself and irishj just did a buyers guide. An 05+ is the way to go. More power, bigger brakes, timing chain vs. timing belt, 5th gear, etc. It's not the best off-roader but it will handle some decently mild terrain. I had mine out at Sequoia National Forest and took an less than desirable path to get to a remote camping site with no issues. It's gone coast to coast many times, the seats are comfy, parts are cheap, and doesn't hold the Toyota tax that most Toyota trucks have. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/21/20 6:37 a.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

I DD'd a lifted Sequoia in DC and Seattle for most of last year. It's big and cumbersome but it works. Maintenance is easy to do yourself and irishj just did a buyers guide. An 05+ is the way to go. More power, bigger brakes, timing chain vs. timing belt, 5th gear, etc. It's not the best off-roader but it will handle some decently mild terrain. I had mine out at Sequoia National Forest and took an less than desirable path to get to a remote camping site with no issues. It's gone coast to coast many times, the seats are comfy, parts are cheap, and doesn't hold the Toyota tax that most Toyota trucks have. 

05-07 still has the 4.7 with the timing belt I thought?

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
8/21/20 7:20 a.m.

I have had them all, but for a daily driver the best mannered would be the 4runner with the V8.  Plenty of power, more nimble than the LC, slightly better mpg, and handy power back window.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
8/21/20 7:53 a.m.

05-07 has the 4.7 with a timing belt. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
8/21/20 8:02 a.m.

Sequoia is my vote since they are less desirable aesthetically which has kept the toyota tax low. Also consider a 2002-2006 escalade with the HD drivetrain and 6.0L gasser. Horrible fuel mileage but the 6L is near bullet proof and can find them between 5-7k with lowish mileage very easy.

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/21/20 8:10 a.m.
Olemiss540 said:

Sequoia is my vote since they are less desirable aesthetically which has kept the toyota tax low. Also consider a 2002-2006 escalade with the HD drivetrain and 6.0L gasser. Horrible fuel mileage but the 6L is near bullet proof and can find them between 5-7k with lowish mileage very easy.

Exactly.  You can buy 2 (or 3) nice used GM full-size SUV's for the cost of a decent LC.  IDK how much worse fuel economy will be; most reports I have heard of even modern LC's are around 14 mpg or so.  Mrs. VCH's Suburban gets about 12 around town doing a bunch of stop-and-go and prolonged idling. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
8/21/20 8:17 a.m.

I got 14-15mpg in my GX470, so not great.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
8/21/20 8:34 a.m.

Im getting 12 in my LC 100 but i am running 285/75r16's

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
8/21/20 8:35 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:
Olemiss540 said:

Exactly.  You can buy 2 (or 3) nice used GM full-size SUV's for the cost of a decent LC.  IDK how much worse fuel economy will be; most reports I have heard of even modern LC's are around 14 mpg or so.  Mrs. VCH's Suburban gets about 12 around town doing a bunch of stop-and-go and prolonged idling. 

In my two escalades I get 13-13.5 mph city OR highway. When towing I get around 11. For the price of a 4runner, you could buy an escalade AND a prius. 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/21/20 9:00 a.m.

If I hypermile, I can get 20-22 with the 460, but I usually go hard and get 17-18. 

ebelements
ebelements Reader
8/21/20 10:04 a.m.

Not that you asked for it, but the Armada would fit the bill. Buddy of mine picked one up for a great price(well under your budget) and it's surprising how much truck you get for the money. It's got the 5.6 and a 9100lb towing capacity, the rear rows fold flat, and the leather seems to wear harder than the lexii of the time.

Just don't get the first year, the subframe out back turns to red dust and it's a one year only part. Aside from that, if I had the need for a big-boy SUV, that's what I'd pick.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
8/21/20 10:10 a.m.

I have a little bit older LC (2001) than you are looking for, but I gave up on even paying attention of the fuel economy.

16mpg at 65mph stead is the best it gets, 10-12 in town.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TkRrmlczwUw6Wbv87GlS0ilhKxZbBUObFd2wr0FgeZcv4nBVrYENa8QJnc1zkKiN