1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/17/22 4:58 p.m.

Planning is getting a little more concrete. Looks like the first stop out of Fresno will be Radiator Springs, err Seligman AZ, followed by Santa Rosa NM so we can visit the Blue Hole.

Right now I'm trying to pre-book the trip from our arrival in Fresno on 6/29 to 7/5 to make sure we don't have to make a detour to REI to have roof over our heads on the long weekend.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
6/17/22 5:14 p.m.

Unless you have a desire to go to White Sulphur to visit Jim at the Hotel, I'd stay on I81.  Much quicker.  Rt219 is a nice driving road north out of Lewisburg toward Elkins, but you'll be south by Union.  That part stinks.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/17/22 5:48 p.m.

In reply to Apis Mellifera :

We've been to Jim's hotel and quite like it, but we probably aren't going to be staying there. I'm not a huge fan of running up that stretch of I81 (done it too often) so I was thinking about taking the backroads up from that area. But I suspect at that time, we might just want to go home, so it might be a run up I-81.

Actually, after planning this out a bit more I'm thinking we'll probably stay around Abingdon, VA and then probably just run up I-81.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
6/17/22 7:21 p.m.

You could always come up through Huntington and hit Rt60.  That will take you to the New River Gorge Bridge then eventually through WSS.  Some good twisty roads there.  Or hook on to I79 and catch 68 at Morgantown.  Nice views over to the panhandle.  But if you were to stick to your original plan, I'd stay in Lewisburg and just keep going up 219.  I never took my 911 up that road, but it's a fun drive even in a minivan.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9QMo42S2hAR0thhBgsBsKfxu1kFirJxKBbfromeJ5WciwxjBTE6eN9lOtmCLEesm