Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/14/13 9:19 a.m.

We blew out the stock Porsche clutch in the 1.7L Improved class 914 I now co-own. Suggestions on replacement?

It's a dedicated autocross car, but driven to the events. Clutch has to remain the same style (single disc) as OE, but is otherwise free. We run on Nitto NT01's (100TW). We were looking at the Spec Stage 1 or the Centerforce Dual Friction.

Brad?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/14/13 10:08 a.m.

1.7 engine? That thing doesn't have enough torque to hurt a stock clutch. Mine sure didn't.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/14/13 10:10 a.m.

Depends on if the 1.7 is stock. Cammed and carbed, it might be able to spin a wheel

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/14/13 2:59 p.m.

Definitely NOT stock. We're also building a full rules prep 2.0 for next season.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/14/13 6:03 p.m.
  • Crickets *

Anyone?

noddaz
noddaz HalfDork
5/14/13 8:16 p.m.

Patrick Motorsports has some impressive looking items...

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/14/13 9:05 p.m.

This is the car BTW:

There's not a single stock component left in the suspension. We're aiming for a PCA National Championship in 2014 in the second-highest class (think equivalent to Prepared or Modified in SCCA). Yes, those are CCW's.

ransom
ransom UltraDork
5/14/13 9:41 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Green with envy, I am

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/15/13 9:22 a.m.

In reply to ransom:

Thanks!

porschenut
porschenut Reader
5/16/13 6:03 a.m.

Watch the pivot pin in the bell housing. Multiple machinings of the flywheel changes the geometry. The little pivot ball on a stud gets stressed and causes issues. Watch the fork travel when pushing on the clutch to see if there is a problem. A shim under the pivot might be needed. Not the words you were expecting, but something that cann cause headaches

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/16/13 9:08 a.m.

In reply to porschenut:

Hey, thanks for the tip!

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
5/16/13 10:23 a.m.

Kennedy Engineering has been a solid go-to clutch manufacturer for aircooled VWs for a long time, they've got several stages depending on the torque you're dealing with and how often you want to break transmissions. If you haven't already checked them out, you should.

Bryce

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HoT6XRIbR0of00XCae5DSOSCdHNepaeU2tRmfepaGl1VhnZJDENLJ75ULolx4V92