1 2 3 4
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/21/19 6:28 a.m.

I'm on my second minivan and I don't even have kids. They really are the ultimate SUV.

As far as working on them goes, it's a non-issue for me. Most of them are so ubiquitous and common if you have a half-decent mechanic you trust, they are cheap to repair. At least the Chryslers. Cheap enough that it really doesn't pay for me to do most maintenance jobs myself so I save that time, energy and enthusiasm for my "fun" cars.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/21/19 6:39 a.m.

You a-holes are making me shop bottom of the depreciation curve minivans on CL. So much want. So bad for my marriage. 

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
3/21/19 6:43 a.m.

Ford Edge or Explorer (but they are really just minivans in disguise).

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/21/19 7:00 a.m.
NGTD said:

Ford Edge or Explorer (but they are really just minivans in disguise).

No. They aren't. Not even close.  They have all of the exterior size of a minivan while lacking the interior utility. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/21/19 7:01 a.m.

A minivan is going to be the best tool for the job when the job is carrying six or seven passengers in city traffic. They do a good job of fitting a lot of seats into a not terribly huge exterior package.

On the other hand, a lot of people forget you can get a Tesla Model S with three row seating. Not sure it would fit your budget or driving needs, though.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
3/21/19 7:33 a.m.

I love our minivan. 13-year-old me would smack me upside the head with an issue or GRM or Hot Rod if he heard me say that. But I love this van.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/21/19 11:33 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

You a-holes are making me shop bottom of the depreciation curve minivans on CL. So much want. So bad for my marriage. 

Considering the dynamic of a relationship where the spouse randomly comes home with stray minivans. Things are weird.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
3/21/19 12:00 p.m.
Ian F said:

I'm on my second minivan and I don't even have kids. They really are the ultimate SUV.

I haven't actually owned any, but was about to express a similar frame of mind. I have no kids, but ever since a coworker at the bike shop where I used to wrench took me mountain biking in his and we got into a quiet and comfy vehicle for the trip home with super ease of load-in, it's been clear that they have their awesomeness.

We'd probably be looking at them to replace the Mini if they weren't just plain bigger than we want to deal with as a daily.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/21/19 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Mtn biking is the primary reason I have mine.  When my bikes cost more then most of my cars, it would them transported out of sight and out of mind.  A full size van is even better, but the GC is a more reasonable DD.  I still occasionally drive my MINI when I want to drive something more fun.  That said, the 11-year newer GC GT has so many features (and a 282 HP V6) that driving it provides a certain level of fun on its level.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
3/21/19 12:42 p.m.

Topic Title: "Help my avoid the inevitable"

Translated Topic Title: "Help me learn to stop worrying and love the Minivan"

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
3/21/19 2:25 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

I grew up looking out the back of Taurus wagon! Nothing like staring at people drivin around!

so which is the “answer”? A minivan or a Miata? Or should I just buy 3 Miatas and weld them together? So confused?!?!?

i guess I’ll just have to get over the stereotypic minivan dad. Guess I’m off to criagslist to look at caravans. If I can just convince the wife now a $1000 van that needs work is best special

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
3/21/19 2:51 p.m.
Subscriber-unavailabile said:

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

I grew up looking out the back of Taurus wagon! Nothing like staring at people drivin around!

so which is the “answer”? A minivan or a Miata? Or should I just buy 3 Miatas and weld them together? So confused?!?!?

i guess I’ll just have to get over the stereotypic minivan dad. Guess I’m off to criagslist to look at caravans. If I can just convince the wife now a $1000 van that needs work is best special

I guess I shouldn't mention the Turbocharged vans that Chrysler produced in 89/90....

Go drive some, cross shop them all and in various trims before you decide.

morello159
morello159 New Reader
3/21/19 3:26 p.m.

Chrysler Pacifica is the best-driving of the current crop of minivans. I've spent an extensive amount of time flinging one around a wet autocross course and with T/C off it's actually a pretty neutral. Stow-n-go seating is magic.

MIATA: Minivan is always the answer.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
3/21/19 4:13 p.m.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/21/19 9:04 p.m.

The minivan is the very pinnacle of automotive evolution as applied to a family vehicle.  In terms of utility, it flat blows away any so-call SUV.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/21/19 9:26 p.m.
Subscriber-unavailabile said:

I see it completely opposite: Buying a SUV is succumbing to convention and following the herd.  Buying a minivan says you recognize that just because the herd wants to run blindly off a cliff, you don't have to follow it.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
3/21/19 9:30 p.m.

Fullsize GM van. Proper V8 and RWD for burnouts.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
3/21/19 10:11 p.m.

Heres a curve ball.....B Body wagon.

Lots of room, v8 power and not a minivan

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
3/22/19 7:57 a.m.
T.J. said:

Topic Title: "Help my avoid the inevitable"

Translated Topic Title: "Help me learn to stop worrying and love the Minivan"

I'm sad that I'm unable to find an image of slim pickens riding the top of a minivan

Esoteric Nixon - Jordan
Esoteric Nixon - Jordan UltraDork
3/22/19 9:43 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

This could very well be the first time a minivan was ever referred to as 'bad for a marriage'.

Esoteric Nixon - Jordan
Esoteric Nixon - Jordan UltraDork
3/22/19 9:45 a.m.
Antihero said:

I've owned two B Body wagons, and sadly, there's no comparison; a new minivan is superior in every way (aside from character).

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/22/19 10:29 a.m.
Esoteric Nixon - Jordan said:
Antihero said:

I've owned two B Body wagons, and sadly, there's no comparison; a new minivan is superior in every way (aside from character).

Well now, that is just false. The B-Body can tow wayyyy more, and it leaves a much longer strip of rubber.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
3/22/19 10:33 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Take it from Deuce, minivans can be fun. Maybe you just need a German minivan?

Kingkong
Kingkong New Reader
3/22/19 10:50 a.m.

But I did see this Chrysler last fall I thought looked pretty good:

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/22/19 11:21 a.m.

BTW, I was always on the minivan train. My wife was not. I won, and she reluctantly went along with it. I don't think she'll accept not having a minivan in the family at this point, even if it isn't her daily. She LOVES it. 

There are three things that you compromise for when you get a minivan: ground clearance, towing, and ego. 90% of pickup truck and SUV owners would be much better served by a minivan. Seriously, not many folks need much ground clearance, and not many need to tow more than 3500lbs. (This site is not a good representation of the general population)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dVymEK81x6TVtPzNu4sWLiH2k8LjArLdaBaQLP7aPQ2j5yNWRU4ReCW4X4Ahlexz