1 2
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/3/16 8:50 a.m.
RedGT wrote: So you're saying when I was gtv6 shopping and found a $3k running/driving/not TOO much rust 105, I was stupid to not buy it?

One never knows when a fellow car person can really be helped out by you getting said car.

AKA, yes, you were.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/3/16 9:09 a.m.

I knew I should have bought that engine-less one for $7500 a few years back and dropped a sacrilegious mill in it. No, no, not an LS. Alfas should howl, not roar.

brad131a4
brad131a4 Reader
5/3/16 10:34 a.m.

Yup Alfa and cheap are two words that don't work in a sentence anymore. You could go with a fiat coupe if you can find one as well. Not to bad looking either if you were to do that as well. Heck even a spider would work. There are a few sub $2000 cars up in the area that run you could do.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/3/16 11:30 a.m.
RossD wrote: What's the going price of Fiat 850 coupes?

the 850 coupe' Is one of my favourite Fiats. Right behind the Dinos

IndyJoe
IndyJoe HalfDork
5/3/16 1:49 p.m.

I think the @ss of this one looks pretty good:

$1500

IndyJoe
IndyJoe HalfDork
5/3/16 1:54 p.m.

Show her this one: (remove some of the Chrome)

link

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/3/16 2:42 p.m.

Just looked on e-bay for some GTV's.

And saw 4 cars sold by some Beverley Hills company- total POS's, all of which are being sold for north of $10k. All of them were incomplete in some way or another.

That's shocking to me.

BUT- it also tells me that somewhere out there are project cars that people are selling for a song (relatively speaking). So if you really want one, you need to start searching. Have your cash ready at any moment, and be ready for a long wait.

thepope540
thepope540 New Reader
5/3/16 6:54 p.m.

In reply to IndyJoe:

I've considered a tr5, but they seem just as impossible to find.

In reply to alfadriver:

I found the cars on ebay, and I'm just as shocked at the pricing. $10k seems like a fortune for the cars they have. I'll keep a slush fund ready and keep searching. I'm not in a rush for a project and would rather find the right car than just grab the first funky vintage car that crosses my path. That being said, I may be buying a datsun roadster from one of my old students. I helped him track down the car during his senior year. He never did get it running and now 5 years later he's trying to start a business and needs the cash. Its not exactly what I'm looking for, but it would be fun to tool around in and I'd like to help get his adventure rolling.

XLR99
XLR99 Dork
5/3/16 7:10 p.m.

There's this on CLE craigslist for $1900

Alfa

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/3/16 7:26 p.m.

Wrong GTV :) Those are not worth crazy money, you just have to be crazy to buy one.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/4/16 6:48 a.m.

Alfettas that are labeled GTV's are not bad cars. They have their place- but the values of them reflect on how they drive and look relative to the 105/115 GTV's.

I had one, and it was pretty nice. But it wasn't too long that we got the gold GTV I have after autocrossing and tracking the Alfetta. I really love the older cars.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/4/16 7:23 a.m.
thepope540 wrote: In reply to IndyJoe: I've considered a tr5, but they seem just as impossible to find. In reply to alfadriver: I found the cars on ebay, and I'm just as shocked at the pricing. $10k seems like a fortune for the cars they have. I'll keep a slush fund ready and keep searching. I'm not in a rush for a project and would rather find the right car than just grab the first funky vintage car that crosses my path. That being said, I may be buying a datsun roadster from one of my old students. I helped him track down the car during his senior year. He never did get it running and now 5 years later he's trying to start a business and needs the cash. Its not exactly what I'm looking for, but it would be fun to tool around in and I'd like to help get his adventure rolling.

Just remembered a good story about Datsun Roadsters and Alfas. A buddy of mine moved to SE MI back in the 70s, and when he did, he brought is Datsun 2000 with him. Being an autocrosser, and AROC being a good club for that- he joined the Alfa club and raced his car.

A little while into it, he figured he should get an Alfa, so one day- he saw an ad for a GTA Jr for a good price. Not knowing much about the car, he asked one of the local members who told him- "you want that car". So the two of them go off to this dealership.

They see the car, and find why it's such a good price- the engine is making a pretty strong noise. My friend gets a look of "don't worry, and don't say anything" from the member. Get the car.

The end deal was a Datsun 2000 for a '68 GTA Jr.

After all the paper work was done, the member helping asked the dealer if they could pull the car into their garage and borrow a few tools. They go in, and while the car is idling, the loosens the timing chain tensioner, sound goes away, and he tightens it back up. The dealer, of course, is shocked at the simple solution.

So instead of having a pretty decent valued Datsun 2000, my friend has owned an Alfa GTA Jr for somewhere around 40 years. Great car.

Good deal.

LanEvo
LanEvo Reader
5/4/16 11:55 a.m.

Join the club. I've been looking for a few years now. Any GTV under $15k is a rust bucket. Good ones are north of $30k. In between is a craps shoot.

The BMW 2002 (or 1602) is closest in spirit...but totally different aesthetics. Probably about half the price of a GTV and usually a bit better in the rust department.

IndyJoe
IndyJoe HalfDork
5/4/16 2:08 p.m.

You might take a look at the older Volvo 122's (sometimes refered to as Amazon). Looks kinda similar to the GTV... vaguely similar..... and less $$$.

Inspiration:

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/4/16 2:18 p.m.

In reply to IndyJoe:

The Volvo (which is fine) looks far more like the earlier Giulietta/Giula Sprint-

IndyJoe
IndyJoe HalfDork
5/4/16 2:46 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Oh yes, that's it. The Volvo's are not yet going up in $$ as fast as the Alpha's, and Maybe Mrs. Pope540 will approve of it's looks.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
5/4/16 2:55 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
RossD wrote: What's the going price of Fiat 850 coupes?
the 850 coupe' Is one of my favourite Fiats. Right behind the Dinos

I paid $1050 for my Series 2 Coupe in 2010. Not what you would call particularly nice, but fairly solid and complete minus the bumpers. I've only seen a handful of Coupes for sale in the northwest since then and they've all traded in the 2-5k range. Series 1 cars trade for more, but are usually pretty reasonable. I wouldn't touch a mid-west or east coast car with a mile long rusty pole.

Here's mine as delivered:

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
5/4/16 6:05 p.m.

This thread makes me wish I had never sold my '73.

It looked a lot like this one. I owned through the early to mid '90's, maybe '96-'97, where I sold it for $5k and thought I made out OK. In the dozen or two Alfas I've owned, it was by far my favorite. Keith is correct, the Alfettas aren't in the same ball park. I owned two after the 105. GTV6's are nice though.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
5/4/16 6:07 p.m.

And to show you I am indeed stupid, I was offered one of these around 1990 for almost nothing.

Of course it came in many boxes and I had no way to know if all of it was there. I always wondered what ever happened to that car.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/4/16 6:58 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

It's now on someone's net worth chart...

thepope540
thepope540 New Reader
5/4/16 7:07 p.m.

In reply to IndyJoe:

I hadn't considered the pre-brick volvos. I'll run that by Mrs. Pope and see what she thinks.

This thread has gotten a lot more traffic than I ever expected it to. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/4/16 8:14 p.m.
thepope540 wrote: In reply to IndyJoe: I hadn't considered the pre-brick volvos. I'll run that by Mrs. Pope and see what she thinks. This thread has gotten a lot more traffic than I ever expected it to. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

If you go that direction, we should help you find Per's article about his car. Some good stuff in there (I thought).

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/4/16 8:18 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
thepope540 wrote: In reply to IndyJoe: I hadn't considered the pre-brick volvos. I'll run that by Mrs. Pope and see what she thinks. This thread has gotten a lot more traffic than I ever expected it to. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
If you go that direction, we should help you find Per's article about his car. Some good stuff in there (I thought).

Need some help here- the car is over on the CM site- at least it's listed. But the pages are not linked correctly- http://classicmotorsports.com/project-cars/1969-volvo-142/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pCUG1rVBG7aCScp52w1lBaRCHFUKxGTifYXdbgKybrIRp9KXLjJZX5ndk3ehfjGz