echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
8/24/15 12:10 p.m.

I have 3 choices for my challenge car, in case I dont have time to test I need help choosing my tires for the event.
Option #1 Falken AZENIS RT-615K 205/50-15 with 3 autocross weekends and about 1k street miles

Option #2 Spec Miata 205/50-15 Hoosiers Got them Used for last years challenge well worn.

Option #3 20x7 Goodyear slicks on 13x6 steelies new but 15 years old few small cracks from sitting in storage.

what do you guys think?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/24/15 12:22 p.m.

Based on this rule:

These safety items are budget-exempt: seat belt or harness; fire extinguisher; roll bar padding; wheel lugs, studs and bolts; and your first four tires

I would get the best autocross tires I can get for new. Based on your actual cash budget, not the $2015 part- since 4 tires are exempt.

If the choice is limited to the ones you list- the Hoosiers all day long.

The 15 year old tires will be bricks. And R compounds are better than street tires.

rcutclif
rcutclif Dork
8/24/15 12:23 p.m.

watch the rules if you have an 'open top' car. I think non DotR slicks will require some sort of roll cage if you have an open top car.

Otherwise, option 2 seems to be the stickiest to me.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/24/15 12:30 p.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

He's driving an echo, echo, echo. Not open topped.

Rules say "approved rollover protection", not roll cage. I think a roll bar qualifies.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
8/24/15 12:43 p.m.

I will be taking my Tercel, the Echo is back up if the Tercel is not ready in time. I just put the engine in the Tercel this weekend. Im a poor college student that works at a bike shop so those are my only tire choices.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/24/15 12:53 p.m.

Option #1 Falken AZENIS RT-615K 205/50-15 with 3 autocross weekends and about 1k street miles
Option #2 Spec Miata 205/50-15 Hoosiers Got them Used for last years challenge well worn.
Option #3 20x7 Goodyear slicks on 13x6 steelies new but 15 years old few small cracks from sitting in storage.

Is your budget enough that you can bring both #1 and #2?
If it rains and the surface is wet, the tread of the Falkens will be nice. If it is dry, the slick Hoosiers will be the answer.

The 15yr old tires are not an option in any way. They will be hard and have little grip.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
8/24/15 1:14 p.m.

Thanks guys, sounds like a plan. Ill drive to the challenge on the falkens and put the hoosiers on the roof/trunk.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/24/15 1:22 p.m.

I'll let you in on a little writing secret of this board.

I can see that you wanted to create a list of options like I have shown in my post above but what you got was all three options smooshed into one line of text.

The secret to getting this done is that you must hit the space bar two times before starting the new line.
Wanna try?
Go back up to your post and hit edit then after the last word in option one, hit the space bar two times.
Then on the second option, after the last word, hit the space bar two time. etc.

Stampie
Stampie New Reader
8/24/15 1:24 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I'll let you in on a little writing secret of this board. I can see that you wanted to create a list of options like I have shown in my post above but what you got was all three options smooshed into one line of text. The secret to getting this done is that you must hit the space bar two times before starting the new line. Wanna try? Go back up to your post and hit edit then after the last word in option one, hit the space bar two times. Then on the second option, after the last word, hit the space bar two time. etc.

I was wondering about that. Thanks for the trick.

Stampie

echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
8/24/15 1:48 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I'll let you in on a little writing secret of this board. I can see that you wanted to create a list of options like I have shown in my post above but what you got was all three options smooshed into one line of text. The secret to getting this done is that you must hit the space bar two times before starting the new line. Wanna try? Go back up to your post and hit edit then after the last word in option one, hit the space bar two times. Then on the second option, after the last word, hit the space bar two time. etc.

AWESOME!
Thanks

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
8/24/15 5:54 p.m.

15 year old tires should have been recycled 5 years ago!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dt6ixpvCMLm8xEHpZDVloFnWKluwtUOWEOUlBPZPVGIlu7ZRdJo656dojSRX2Z7v