Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar SuperDork
10/2/20 8:43 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally ran in the April 2013 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.]

Fixing things well and fixing things cheaply aren’t always mutually exclusive. Just ask Angus MacGyver. That fictional character is the guy we all aspire to be when we don’t have the &ld…

Read the rest of the story

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
10/2/20 8:54 a.m.

I have found old license plates to be INVALUABLE for making track side repairs and modifications. Flexible enough to contort into needed positions but strong enough to handle air speeds at terminal velocity when appropriately mounted with self tappers.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/2/20 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Alan Cesar :

I've done several of those things. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/15/22 9:02 a.m.

The Harbor Freight RX-7 has a sunroof rusted through in many spots.  I have a Lexan sunroof, but RallyCross rules specify steel or OE, and Lexan is aftermarket.  So, I patched the holes in the sunroof with woodgrain contact paper.

I wish they still made brick pattern contact paper, I'd turn my wagon into a "brickie".

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/15/22 9:13 a.m.

I wish they still made brick pattern contact paper, I'd turn my wagon into a "brickie".

Going to go out and cut and point my car. laugh

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/15/22 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I mean anything can be printed onto vinyl

dhois
dhois New Reader
1/15/22 6:38 p.m.

Hard to beat bailing wire for track side hose and  boot clamps. Now that I think of it, those repairs might as well be considered permanent. 

Used the chisel trick to remove corroded nuts holding my Sequoia tow vehicles O2 sensors in place. Don't forget the hammer. Not really a mechanic without a hammer. 

Additional tip is to carry the fusible silicon tape. It works. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/15/22 7:38 p.m.

The chisel trick is key to life working on old equipment. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/15/22 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

I have had to use a chisel bit in an air hammer to get the intake manifold nuts off of a D17 in a Civic.  They were so rusty that 10mm sockets spun on them.

All the while I was cursing... at know-it-alls not from around here who insist that cars would not rust if you just washed them every now and then.  Some mentality that everything that happens is because of a personal failing.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/15/22 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

We had a 20lb sledge and a big ass chisel after some bell housing to engine bolts on a Ferguson TO-20 like a week ago. I know the struggle 

PT_SHO
PT_SHO New Reader
1/17/22 4:40 a.m.

Love the shelf paper - for a Volvo, it /should/ be in brick pattern.

Re: the Little Lamb-orghini, seen a few writeups on dual engine cars but NEVER with a stick in front and auto in back!  That's gotta make the rear power delivery a lot less predictable for autocross.  For the drags, no problemo.  

I still remember the dual engine that competed in Sport Compact Car's contest about 15-20 years ago. For their burnout contest segment they put one in drive and other in reverse, the car just pirouetted in a circle billowing smoke from the wheelwells, the judges had no choice but to give them that win.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/17/22 9:50 p.m.

I remember when this originally came out - I still think the FD door is awesome

BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter)
BrianC72gt (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/19/22 4:48 p.m.

In reply to dhois :

Strong zip ties will also work in a pinch.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
12/27/22 10:49 a.m.

I wish they still sold the NOS energy drink in the little nitrous bottles in my area. About 15 years ago I used to get the grape NOS and mix it with vodka to make a drink I called Barney.

Oh wait, I am too old to be drinking that and now ticker would go boom.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
63RBoDhDGwaPADo2hxSWpQAYGrCrC1GIuPxz6mRJNDnPKNpcU2OTs3CDju6apQYY