8 9 10 11 12
BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
6/28/17 4:46 p.m.

Anybody got an opinion on the 301 piece tool set? I get a $160 coupon for it pretty frequently.

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
6/28/17 5:07 p.m.

I've got the 225 piece "mechanics" tool set.

Best case I've ever had, stuff actually stays where you put it.

My 1/2" ratchet is getting sticky, but I use it as a ratchet, hammer, anchor point for a pry bar, and leave it outside for months on end. Otherwise, it's been a great set.

I haven't bent any wrenches or stripped any sockets in the 2 years or so I've had it.

Looks like the big difference is screwdrivers and pliers, with some extra sockets, and the bigger case. I've been thinking about it just to have s second set of tools I can find.

Pass: scroll saw. Dead nuts simple to setup and use, holds tension well, cuts everything I throw at it and will run all day with no problems.I

Pass: (so far) 170 amp mig/flux welder. Even without gas or a capacitor it burns through 1/4" plate, and I haven't busted a single weld yet.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/23/18 10:13 a.m.

27 LED flashlight/worklight, free with coupon. Pass.

If I had to harshly critique it I would consider 3 areas lacking.  With most cheap LEDs, the color temperature is such that it gets washed out by ambient sunlight if working outdoors. Second, and I feel most important, the magnet is fairly weak. I haven't tested this exstensivly but I don't expect it to hold if bumped or if the metal it is mounted on is disturbed. Lastly, the hook for hanging is flimsy, though better than the magnet. 

For the list price, it is ok, not great. As a freebie, it is my go to coupon to use. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/23/18 10:33 a.m.

Fail, yellow 12v air pump. Newer versions have a warning label of "not for automotive use". Filling a 205/55/16 from 10 to 30psi is a 5 minute job. The pressure gauge is best used as an idiot light by ignoring the numbers. Any job beyond bicycle tires is pushing it. 

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
3/23/18 12:40 p.m.

Chicago Electric cordless drill. Pass. I've been using it for years, only issue is that it kills the battery when not in use.

Chicago Electric cordless 1/4" impact. Pass. Same as above, without the parasitic drain.

Magnetic LED positionable trouble light. Fail. Dropped it once and it broke the housing. Magnet was pretty weak (hence it fell).

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
3/23/18 9:10 p.m.
TheRX7Project said:

only issue is that it kills the battery when not in use.

I have that issue with all my battery powered tools/equipment. No matter how I store the battery. Makita drill & flashlight, Skill Drill, Ryobi Drill & flashlight, B&D Drill, B&D leaf blower. Always have to put them on the charger the night before I want to use them.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
3/24/18 5:51 a.m.
wlkelley3 said:
TheRX7Project said:

only issue is that it kills the battery when not in use.

I have that issue with all my battery powered tools/equipment. No matter how I store the battery. Makita drill & flashlight, Skill Drill, Ryobi Drill & flashlight, B&D Drill, B&D leaf blower. Always have to put them on the charger the night before I want to use them.

Ni-cad batteries?  They tend to go bad quickly.  The Chicago one is for sure a Ni-cad and the cheap batteries it come with suck.

wae
wae Dork
3/24/18 7:51 a.m.
TheRX7Project said:

Magnetic LED positionable trouble light. Fail. Dropped it once and it broke the housing. Magnet was pretty weak (hence it fell).

Is that the red one that's either octagonal or hexagonal?  I've personally had pretty good luck with then, but you're right about the weakness of the magnet.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/24/18 1:42 p.m.

My LED light didn’t work this morning when I went out to work on the w124. Argggh, we will see if they will exchange it

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/24/18 1:55 p.m.

Any votes for/against their “Predator” generators? A buddy has one & swears by it, and they have a ton of good reviews. Thinking about grabbing one this weekend.

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
3/24/18 2:18 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

I've heard nothing bad about any of the predator stuff. It's a very competent Honda clone with tons of aftermarket support. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
3/24/18 2:47 p.m.

We just put a predator engine on our old ass tractor, after the original kohler motor threw a rod for the second time (50yrs old). I can't speak to the longevity, but it starts and runs like a champ, and hardly loads the motor at all when I engage the triple blade deck for mowing. If their generators are built the same, I would not hesitate to buy one. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/24/18 3:22 p.m.

Sweet! Thanks!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/24/18 3:28 p.m.

Fail: manual worm gear winch.  First it is way too slow, then the pieces wear the metal off each other, then the spindle that connects the worm gear to the handle strips in a place where there is no repairing it

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
4/10/18 1:44 p.m.

Pass: Circular saw. Not quite as powerful as my Dad's Makita, and doesn't cut as straight out of the box, but for what I paid, I'm pretty impressed after a couple of projects.

Fail: Oscillating multi tool. This might be the fastest I've ever killed an HF tool, ran it for about 5 minutes sanding floors under baseboards, shut it off, and it never turned back on. No warning signs, no smell of imminent death like the angle grinders give off when they're ready to die, nothing. Doesn't even make a particularly good hammer. 

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 New Reader
4/11/18 10:28 a.m.

Not sure if already mentioned but I vote pass on the 'Heavy Duty' Reciprocating Saw (Sawzall) w/ the rotating handle.  Usually goes on sale for 19.99 w/ coupon.   I've used it a few times on exhaust systems, even w/ the cheapo HF blades seems to work ok.  I recently hacked out some OEM cat converters for scrap I had but used a Diablo steel blade from HD and it ripped through them like nothing.  Good blades make a huge difference on just about any saw.

Honorable mentions:

7 pc ratcheting wrench set

1/4" composite ratchet (Actually most of their 'Pro' ratchets are pretty good)

1/2" impact sockets

1/4" 6pt socket set

Offset box wrenches 

3000w Generator

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
4/11/18 10:39 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Yes. I still kept the light because it still works, but the housing broke from less than a 1' fall off the bottom of my car and it will no longer stay in any position I put it in.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/22/18 9:51 a.m.

Bumping this one up because a HF tool became a hammer this weekend. 

Pittsburgh Pro 1/2" Drive Torque Wrench: BIG FAT FAIL

I bought one of these years ago at HF after reading a comparison test in another magazine that put the accuracy right up there with some really expensive wrenches, and even surpassing some of them! It worked great for years, but I lost the locking screw and that one became a hammer. I replaced it with another one earlier this year. 

Most of my torque wrench activities are relegated to tightening lug nuts. In April, before trading in my wife's car, it started making terrible sounds from the drive axles after doing some work. After hours of trying to figure out what it was, it was loose lug nuts. I chalked it up to forgetting to tighten them after wrenching on the car for hours. I thought I torqued them to spec, but couldn't remember. 

Then, last week, my own car had been making some very bad sounds coming from the transmission and suspension after replacing the shocks and struts. I was getting ready to trade the car in! Before I did that, I wanted to go through and see if the suspension bolts backed out, or maybe the CV shafts pulled out of the transmission when I dropped the control arms. When I went to remove the wheels, I noticed they were HAND TIGHT. I know for a fact I torqued them this time. Before I got too deep, I tightened them up and wouldn't you know it, just like with the wife's car, the noises went away. When I re-examined the torque wrench, I noticed that it felt like there were missing teeth. I still had the old one, and even though that set screw was missing, I was able to at least confirm that the thing wasn't tightening at the right torque. It was WAY off!

Needless to say, I'm never using that thing again. I could have easily lost a wheel and someone could have gotten hurt! I already went out and replaced it with a Kobalt wrench. 

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron Reader
10/22/18 10:44 a.m.

Vulcan ProTIG 200 is a pass in my book.

I've been using it for over 8 months now no real issues and it is a lot more capable than the Miller Diversion 165 that I used to use.  It's a lot of welder for the money.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/22/18 11:03 a.m.

Had a couple passes lately, but they are already in this thread somewhere.

Fail: The cheap $5 miter box and saw. Piece of junk was dull by the third cut, and it is in general a poor design for anything more than building a doll house. Should have just bought a real miter saw.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
10/22/18 1:03 p.m.
BrokenYugo said:

Anybody got an opinion on the 301 piece tool set? I get a $160 coupon for it pretty frequently.

I have this tool set and I am happy with the quality in general. The ratchets are OK, but a higher tooth count would be handy in tight quarters.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
10/23/18 10:22 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I'm with you on the torque wrench. I have zero confidence in mine.  I set the torque to near minium (2 lbs) and it still seems not to be working correctly. I'll be buying a nicer replacement.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
10/23/18 11:02 a.m.

Radiator/cooling system pressure tester #63862

Pass for NA/NB Miata, worked great.  Fail for '92 Bronco... no correct adapter for radiator cap.  Lots of adaptors for cars I don't have... don't know about those.

You definitely want to use a 25% off coupon on this, the list price is stupid for what you get.

freetors
freetors Reader
10/23/18 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Did any of the "universal" adapters (the flat rubber faced disks) fit? I've had to use those ones quite often on older cars.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/23/18 12:15 p.m.

Any feedback on hammer mart pneumatic adjustable rolling stools like this one?

Are they any good or do the casters fail, they get wobbly and do the pneumatic height bit fails?  

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
brwzB2JuCY6qNfnLEUJ8hytzBFcLWUIoRwodaCdACnKfXzPugMfAPP6LVLAnC3Qx