Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
1/23/17 1:05 p.m.

So I saw a WRX on Autotrader a few weeks ago, wanted $8k and I sent the contact form saying would you consider $6k? They replied to give them a call, then promptly forgot about it.

Got an email just now saying the price has been dropped, if you're still interested. It's now down to $4k...

It looks slightly rough, rear bumper on the side has an issue, and no stereo. The rest of the photos (no engine) look ok. If it just needs a stereo and a few zip ties for the bumper I'm very in for $4k.

Problem is, I thought it was near Indianapolis, I was quite mistaken... 4 hours from me.

Anyone nearby? mtn said there were other members closer that might help. Anyone? Free dinner for you and yours if you can check it out for me.

Thomas Kia 9825 Indianapolis Blvd., Highland, IN 46322

Furious_E
Furious_E Dork
1/23/17 1:54 p.m.

What happened with the one in Chambersburg?

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
1/23/17 2:32 p.m.

Careful, up here when you see a bumper like that, it's because there is no 1/4 panel to attach it to!!!

I can't see any rust but they may have painted over it.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
1/23/17 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

Jumped the gun on that one. He never answered any of my texts, emails or calls. Should have done that first before posting. Lesson learned.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
1/23/17 2:41 p.m.

It's for the better, looking at some of the "accessories" on it. Definitely previously owned by a young "enthusiast".

Furious_E
Furious_E Dork
1/23/17 3:07 p.m.

In reply to Jerry:

Dang, I wanted an excuse to go drive a WRX

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
1/25/17 5:27 p.m.

Just got an email that it was dropped again to $2991.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/25/17 6:39 p.m.

"Needs Engine work" could be anything from "The previous owner modded it heavily, and had it tuned, then removed the mods without changing the tune to stock" to "it'll barely be able to make it off the lot before the engine blows."

Of course, at that price, I'd be half tempted to go check it out. Don't worry, I won't sneak in and grab it before you if you decide to go for it.

Edit: Just looked through the images - Hella Supertone horns, an empty space where the stereo was, and an aftermarket shift light. Bet this thing has been modded, beat on, and possibly de-modded. Wonder how hurt it is now?

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
1/25/17 7:15 p.m.

In reply to eastsidemav:

Missed the "needs engine work". They keep updating the description. Notice how it still says "Come take a look at the deal we have on this good-looking 2002 Subaru Impreza. Heck fire! This little car only has 117k miles, it's basically still new! A little slice of heaven here folks! "

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
1/28/17 1:11 p.m.

Forum member looked at it for me yesterday. Lot's of nope.

"The rocker pinch weld flange is bent in places and the rocker is bulged outward in one spot with the pinch weld flatten due the car landing on something. It did start right up but it did have some engine noises that could be valve train? Piston slap? The shifter is stiff and vague but I don't know Subies so maybe they're all like that. Or it's just worn out. I found all the gears but I really couldn't do much due to the clutch slipping badly. I could get it to hook up if I was easy on the gas but any quick throttle application and the engine revs climbed and you're accomplishing nothing." ...and those are just the highlights.

Looking for something solid to build off of, and this is definitely not it.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/28/17 1:13 p.m.

Yeah, sounds like it's better to look in a somewhat higher price range...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/28/17 1:21 p.m.

What secret member lives near Highland? I spent a lot of time around there. I have family that lives in the area.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
1/28/17 1:25 p.m.

I'm the member that looked for Jerry. I will say that for someone who wants to take a chance the dealer may accept a ridiculously low offer just to unload this POS. It's not legal to drive as is as it has a straight pipe where the cat is supposed to be, you can't drive it anywhere due to the clutch slipping(Bring a trailer.), and it's been modified by the PO and who know what he did with it. But for a 15 year old car the body seems solid other then a few spots of rust. I would bet an offer in the $1K range might snag it.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/28/17 2:16 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski:

Ahh I forgot, you live over in Lansing right? Haven't seen you on in a while, so you so slipped my mind when it came to locals near me.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
1/28/17 4:28 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski:

And eternally grateful you saved me an 8hr round trip...

wae
wae Dork
1/28/17 4:45 p.m.

Do it, Jerry! Low ball him and we'll bring it back and throw a clutch in her on a Saturday!

Plus, instant $2017 Challenge car!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3shHDLxZQQe0HYAjmShkiBvO0KFcLd2jk1aXFoa1rk5w2TWLo3n7eYZBOhYUCeGz