John Brown (Forum Supporter)
John Brown (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/22/20 3:27 p.m.

So I just read that Holley has released a version of the Terminator X engine control that is compatible with Direct Injection.

Linky here

So if DI on a GM with VVT can be unlocked, how long before other DI engines could see this? 

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/22/20 3:33 p.m.

Syvecs and other top end standalones can already do Fords with DI and VCT.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/22/20 3:33 p.m.

In reply to John Brown (Forum Supporter) :

I would not call it unlocked, but someone went through the trouble of understanding how to control the DI hardware.  Which is so much different than PFI that it's pretty hard.  Given the plug and play nature of what they are trying to do, they seemed to have also downloaded the important parts of the MAP that would be almost imposisible to develop w/o a dyno and months of working on it.  That also explains why they are so specific with the controllers.

But it just took time and money to do it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/22/20 3:59 p.m.

Pipe dream.... but someone do it for the 1.6T from the Korean twins. I am just imagining a 200+whp 1.6 in a lot of older Korean cars that weighed very little. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/22/20 6:14 p.m.

There exists already an aftermarket computer out of the UK that can control 4 cylinder Ecoboosts.  I forgot the name,  but they mainly seem to focus on the 1.6.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/22/20 7:01 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

There exists already an aftermarket computer out of the UK that can control 4 cylinder Ecoboosts.  I forgot the name,  but they mainly seem to focus on the 1.6.

Probably Life Racing (same hardware as Syvecs)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/22/20 8:25 p.m.

But does it scratch records to Chuck D's satisfaction? 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/22/20 9:50 p.m.

I bet a homebrew Di Ls turbo is quite a thing. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/22/20 9:59 p.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Probably Life Racing (same hardware as Syvecs)

https://www.scs-delta.co.uk/ford-ecoboost-ecu

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/23/20 6:07 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Pipe dream.... but someone do it for the 1.6T from the Korean twins. I am just imagining a 200+whp 1.6 in a lot of older Korean cars that weighed very little. 

The good news is that the hardware set available for DI is fairly limited- once you choose a hardware set, all of it stays with that company.  

The bad news is that even wiht that, you will need a pretty specific side set of hardware to make it run.  And, based on what i'm seeing, all of them could be traced to a hacked OEM ecu, so that the very diffucult mapping of the engine (much of the DI and VCT development) is already done.

On what's available- I do find it interesting that it appears that Ford systems were out first, when GM has so many hacked ECU's in the US.  But it is what it is, and it now opens up the availabiliy of swaps that OEM's decided not to support.  A field day for this community.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PZrJs6xRhIU9KjhvF1MBMYBI5EqPYq6Huy226R7AU8DW5NUrpIiJLQfrhLgGDyvp