twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos New Reader
8/19/10 2:09 p.m.

A relative is looking at a 2003 Honda Pilot in Chicago. He sent me some pictures of the paint that is cracking right above the windshield of the vehicle. I have never seen anything like this especially because the damage seems to be on the paint and not the underlying sheet metal.

What would cause this cracking?

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
8/19/10 2:23 p.m.

In reply to twolittlebroncos:

Probably a poorly done respray. I'd run away.

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
8/19/10 2:25 p.m.

thats not paint, that's bondo

run, run away fast. probably was totalled with roof damage and they just slathered filler in there.

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer Reader
8/19/10 2:54 p.m.

+1 on the cracking bon-doh. Let that one continue to be someone else's problem.

Racedreamer
Racedreamer New Reader
8/19/10 3:05 p.m.

Run Forest run! Looks like bondo and the clear are delaminating

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
8/19/10 3:05 p.m.

yeah, too thick to just be paint

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
8/19/10 3:56 p.m.

Yep, that's filler chipping out. It was probably involved in a light roll when it was not very old, and I wouldn't be surprised if the doors on that side had also been replaced.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
8/19/10 4:00 p.m.

definitely looks like bondo repaired body damage. however it might not be something as horrible as a rollover as i happened to hit a flying turkey on the highway 5 weeks after i bought my TBSS and the very front of the windshield rim at the roof needed to be painted. my insurance agent told me of some other big bird stories where the whole roof needed to be changed. still, i'd probably run knowing the damage is there.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
8/19/10 4:13 p.m.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
8/19/10 4:16 p.m.

That better be one helluva deal!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/19/10 4:19 p.m.

My guess - hit a low parking garage, etc. Real roof damage is typically enough to total a car, but I could see a low overpass situation being "fixed" with mud.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
8/19/10 6:23 p.m.

Maybe Pilots are supposed to look like that, but even the plastic "bead" around the windshield is not correctly fitted. There's a small "gap" at the top corner of the windshield where the bead curves instead of sitting "square" in the opening.

PASS, GO, DO NOT COLLECT THE PILOT.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
8/19/10 8:22 p.m.

It's why God intended trucks to have full frames so that you could replace the body instead of Bondoing it up like a bunch of unibody worshiping heathens. The motor is also pointing the wrong way, but that's another rant for another time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LQ2dWAor0clFvTq0QwTUaXrVyQOFJAZi73mU9xUpH5wVkbpt73IQ2M4I4ejULZZC