procainestart
procainestart Dork
7/27/21 11:25 a.m.

I'm R&R'ing the clutch on one of my old Saab 900s. I've done this a couple dozen times, but this time I caused the slave to fail, and got brake fluid on the new disk. The whole disk isn't soaked -- I'd say less than a quarter of one side.

I'm finding mixed info about whether I ruined the disk.

a.) Can I clean the hell out of the disk and use it?

b.) Or does it not matter how much I clean it -- it's ruined?

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
7/27/21 11:38 a.m.

did it soak, or did you spill and clean it right away? If it's the latter, and I didn't want to spend the extra money on replacement, I'd run it after a good hosing with brake clean. If removal is miserable and gives you nightmares, replace it. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
7/27/21 11:54 a.m.

I'd blast it with brake cleaner and send it. Maybe warm it up in the sun to encourage the brake fluid to leach out of the friction material. It's so easy to change that it's not a big deal if it does fail, and if it doesn't you're golden. No real downside to trying it.

79rex
79rex Reader
7/27/21 12:09 p.m.

Few things id consider here. 

1. price of a new one

2.  do I really want to go back in there after i put it all back together only to find out my clutch was indeed hosed.  

3. How easy is it to change

Barb_Dwyer
Barb_Dwyer New Reader
7/27/21 1:36 p.m.

In reply to procainestart :

Have you soaked it or have you cleaned it right away? As a last resort if the latter is true, a soak in brake cleaner would suffice. It is better to replace it rather than remove it if you have nightmares about it. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/27/21 2:17 p.m.

Old 900 with the clutch right out front? I'd blast the clutch in brake cleaner if it's not too soaked and give it a shot. It's not like you have to take half the car apart to get at the clutch.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
7/27/21 6:19 p.m.

Yep, clutch out front. It's easy to get back in, if needed. I'll clean it and go. Thanks

(I blew the slave seals when I over-extended it, in order to pull a special tool. Pressure plates for the car are now different than I what I've been used to for years.)

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
7/27/21 6:22 p.m.

Honestly, you couldn't have picked a better car for this to happen to. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/28/21 6:49 a.m.

Hmmmm......   I had a Suzuki Samurai that had a clutch status inspection hole in the bell housing that was plugged with a rubber bung.  Mine didn't have the plug so when the valve cover leaked, guess where all thee oil went to.  44Dwarf suggested filling a spray bottle with hot hot water soaped up with Dawn dish detergent, spray, run, spray, run and IT WORKED.  

porschenut
porschenut Reader
7/28/21 7:25 a.m.

You didn't hose it.  Took a few miles off the life span though.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/29/21 12:58 p.m.

FWIW, this is one of my favorite subject lines. 

procainestart
procainestart Dork
7/29/21 2:03 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Ha! Gotta say, I was inspired to up my subject line game by "Guzzi with saggy jugs? BMW R80 build."

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/29/21 2:08 p.m.
procainestart said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Ha! Gotta say, I was inspired to up my subject line game by "Guzzi with saggy jugs? BMW R80 build."

Glad I could be of service!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fOSO2WhMQRwXUSUQLNgR8vJ5XUcXZ8MfrglunPcPKjpmKdnstQGq54drdaacchaL