1 2
clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
5/10/22 12:37 p.m.

I was in a simular situation.  My tec2 is turbo tuned miata. I was going to try to change it, until I found I couldn't get the tune out of the ecu. I needed a copy of the tune from the original tuner. I was told I could upload the new tune into it after changes were made. With no baseline tune I decided not to mess with it. 

bonylad
bonylad HalfDork
5/10/22 2:02 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:
Turbo_Rev said:

These are heretofore unknown levels of hipster silliness. 

I just snorted Pabst Blue Ribbon onto my manicured mustache and on to my vintage flannel shirt.

I lost it reading this.......well played Sir. Well played.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/20/22 10:16 p.m.

Small update: (also posted in build thread).Today I got some tuning action going again.

The wideband lm1 has the ability to output a programmable voltage based on afr. I set it up so that lambda = volts, meaning if you're at .7 lambda it would read .7 volts and same at 1.3 lambda.

I was hoping that even if the oxygen sensor feature is turned off on the ECU that the TEC would still measure the voltage at the O2 sensor pin. Which it does! But, the voltage didn't make any sense... Hmmm.

Reread the TEC documentation and there is something about needing to have a 5:1 voltage amplifier built into the ECU in order for the heated O2 sensor circuit to work. Hmmm.

Well, let's give it a shot. I setup .5 lambda to equal .1 volt and 1.5 lambda to equal .3 volts on the lm1. AND it seems to have worked!

Next to see if I can datalog and have the lambda recorded as the O2 sensor voltage channel, but I now think it might. Cool!

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/20/22 11:50 p.m.

Some of the home CNC people have similar issues, with older CNC software counting on the PC to have a parallel port. Kids, that's where printers used to connect to, really!

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
6/21/22 8:32 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Here's a real question though for all you tuners out there. What do you use for knock sensing? I'm going to setup a knock sensor on the motor and try to listen to it while tuning through some headphones. 

I use thoughts & prayers, mainly.

I tried setting up KnocksenseMS with my MS2, but didn't have much luck despite days of fiddling.  It was just way too sensitive for my application, I think.

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
6/21/22 10:02 a.m.

I have not found knock sensing to be effective.

If you run it hard it will pull timing unnecessarily due to the increase in noise level that is not knock.

I don't like it when you flog it and it pulls timing, which then makes you to flog it harder. Counter productive that is.

I've had 2 OEM systems that pulled so much timing the exhaust would do a lava lamp imitation.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/22/22 7:40 a.m.

Reading this I am suddenly getting nostalgic and want to tune a Quadra-jet. ;-)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fLKhtGBajT4IlC5EZxaSiNZ8qvk0LMlT4oh8gRSBVIWtjiJOTzX8yZ5dUZR7avn7