eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
9/19/19 4:00 p.m.

I know it’s a somewhat blasphemous question, but I’m curious if anyone has driven an automatic transmission ND, and what they’ve thought of it.  I’m considering consolidating my fleet a bit, and am thinking a ND could be a good potential commuter (if I need to start commuting again, not sure yet).  I mostly use my NA for local driving and cruising backroads, no autocross or track days.

I seem to recall the NC automatic was considered decent, but hadn’t heard anything about the ND yet.  I’m also noticing a decent number of low mileage 2016 Grand Touring models turning up for sale nearby.

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
9/19/19 4:10 p.m.

Mazda carried over the NC automatic to the ND. Works good, solid shifts but not DSG fast. I've not heard a complaint about them from a reliability standpoint. 

Sounds like a good fit IMHO for what you want. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
9/19/19 7:37 p.m.

How will the automatics hold up under boost?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/19/19 7:47 p.m.

No problem with the turbos. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
9/20/19 1:23 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

No problem with the turbos. 

I did not need to know that.

_
_ HalfDork
9/20/19 3:56 p.m.

It’s the same transmission as the auto frs/brz/gt86. I drove an auto gt86 on Hakone mountain pass, in japan a few weeks ago. Really good shifts. Plenty of fun. Holds the gears to redline. Does not brake stand though. Part of that was the pedal dance BS anyways. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/20/19 4:41 p.m.

In reply to _ :

I didn't know that. It means all the valve body upgrades and everything else should work for the Miata too then, right? 

From what I understand, they are pretty slick once upgraded and take just about any power the FA20 boosted can throw at it. 

_
_ HalfDork
9/20/19 6:51 p.m.
Nugi
Nugi Reader
9/20/19 10:19 p.m.

If it is the same as the NC, I will vouch for it being an above average for non-dct type auto. My ND is manual, but I have driven 3 auto NC and enjoied them as much as I can enjoy an automatic. Please excuse the obvious 3-pedal bias. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/20/19 10:39 p.m.
_ said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Yeps. Aisin a960e. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18868&highlight=automatic+transmission

Yeah SSP has a bunch of good stuff, that's awesome.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jL889RiHeHcVAkT1Q0O0PcGNB3vP0WuoDkooYU1vpyACcvQdvHRB8Bdd4qEKBvFB