Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
4/23/13 1:20 p.m.

I was thinking about getting a set for my 300SD (225/55-16), but after reading the reviews on tires rack it sounds like I would have to plan on replacing all 4 every week or two when they all got bubbles in the sidewall at the same time. Any opinions on whether I should get those tires or something else? If I get something else I would be tempted to get the bfg g-force sport comp 2, even though the car doesn't need tires like that I did like the set I had on another car, and they are pretty cheap in that size compared to the other choices.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
4/23/13 1:23 p.m.

We've been putting them on used cars and as a cheaper altrernative to the Michelins for a while. THey seem to be a really good tire.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
4/23/13 1:24 p.m.

General Altimax HP?

MINIzguy
MINIzguy New Reader
4/23/13 1:25 p.m.

I think they are a good all-season tire as well. Comfortable and good in the rain. I haven't experienced any bubbles in my sidewall yet and mine are 235/45 and 275/35 series sidewalls.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
4/23/13 1:25 p.m.

I had them on my last WRX. I loved them. They were my favorite thing about the car actually. Handled well and wore like iron.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
4/23/13 1:29 p.m.

Put them on the gf's mazda3 to replace yokohamas. Even she noticed the difference (good). Suprisingly good snow traction too.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
4/23/13 1:31 p.m.

I recommend the Continental Extreme DW (not to be confused with the DWS). Not only will it give you much better steering response, but much better grip as well. In theory they won't last quite as long, but they are $20 cheaper. Of course, it is a summer tire so snow is verboten if you live in the north.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
4/23/13 1:31 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: General Altimax HP?

Now that's a tire I'd not recommend. NEver had one person not complain about the noise.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
4/23/13 3:39 p.m.

I've had the DWS on the IS300 for about a couple years now, no bubbles, handles well (it's a DD so no real hoonage.) Wears well and even the two that were driven low on air when my sister borrowed my car (very low, nail in tire) no bubbles, no bulges or noticeable damage or decrease in performance, which was definitely a concern. Not loud either. I love em and my experience with Continental has been a good one. I had the ContiExtreme something or other before these.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
4/23/13 4:04 p.m.

I've had the DWS on my wife's TSX for a couple years now. They're great in all 4 seasons - quiet, smooth, grippy enough for a DD in the dry, and excellent in the rain and snow. They're wearing well, too, on a moderately heavy FWD car. I'd buy 'em for any car that needs all seasons.

I have the DW on my 325, and I like them, too, but you will most assuredly need snow tires to handle December-March if you live anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
4/23/13 5:02 p.m.

I put them on SWMBO's TDI late last fall, to replace the Turanzas that came on it stock. We've put about 7K mile on them so far, I've done one rotation since we got them, and they looked just about as good as new (I know 7K isn't a lot of miles).

I did A LOT of research and comparisons before picking them, for a 205/55/16 DD tire, I don't think they can be beat bang for buck. I picked up a set of Craig's List 16" BBS RX for the Volvo, and intend on getting a set of DWS in 205/50 or 205/55 for it too.

• Lee
racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
4/23/13 5:09 p.m.

It's been my general experience that people who complain about tire problems usually never check their tire pressure.

petegossett
petegossett UberDork
4/23/13 5:11 p.m.

We ran 2 sets on SWMBO's Fit. They're a really good 4-season daily-driver tire. Not horrible performance, but just a good overall tire.

Neckromacr
Neckromacr Reader
4/23/13 5:31 p.m.

I put a set on the wife's 6 wagon because of the all weather traction. The quiet and smooth ride were a bonus.

That was a year and a half ago, haven't had one bubble yet.

I sell tires for a living, and have recommended these to more than a few people so adamantly I imagine they think I'm on Continental's payroll.

Edit: And even if you did put a bubble in the sidewall Continental covers their own tires for a year or first 2/32" for full road hazard protection. Just gotta see a dealer to warranty it out, no cost.

Hal
Hal Dork
4/23/13 6:40 p.m.

Have had a set on the Transit Connect for 12K miles now. Very nice, good in all types of weather, not noisy.

Secretariata
Secretariata Reader
4/23/13 8:14 p.m.

Got a set on SWMBO's 350z. Overall, I think they are a pretty good all weather/all season tire. Really good in the rain and quiet. No strange handling quirks and predictable.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
4/23/13 10:09 p.m.

Kinda echoing what others are saying, just put a set of 225/45/17 to replace the stock Conti ProContact on my '08 GTI. It's noticeably quieter than the ProContact and has better grip in the rain. Only a few months old but so far no complain whatsoever...

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/24/13 6:54 a.m.

I just put a set of the DWSes on my MINI a few weeks ago. I was charging around in the rain last night and these things are great. Smooth, quiet, work great in the rain, handle decently for a DD.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
4/24/13 7:01 a.m.

We have a set on the g/f's 850 wagon. Other than clipping a curb and ripping a hole in the side wall, they've been fine. She ordered another one from TR and replaced it. I'm debating between these (205/55-16) or the GY Triple-Tread (195/65-15) for the TDI. If they made the DWS in the 15" size I'd probably go that route.

davidjs
davidjs Reader
4/24/13 7:26 a.m.

I'm on my second set on my Protege5 (probably 20k miles out of the first set).

Really like, them, and no bubbles ever!

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
4/24/13 8:49 a.m.

I have nothing but good things to say about them for what they are, an all season, don't expect anything mind blowing in the dry, but they are amazing in the wet and damn good in the snow.

My wife's car is on her third set in about 3.5 years and I had 2 sets on my old car before I sold it.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
4/24/13 10:16 a.m.

Love them on our Saab 9-3... 235/45-17 on an 8" rim and zero defects... about 5k on them so far and practically new. Quiet, responsive, good traction in all weather.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pO20zv4r8J4lczydG0uVBgEV0q6uD5h4wke9gg9nhabnDekAql3bpSXkyY8gJXA7