1 2 3 4
MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
12/12/18 7:18 p.m.

Wikipedia says that Blaupunkt was liquidated in 2016. It could mean that some Chinese company bought the rights to the name and started naming their products this famous German brand. It makes sense as the Walmart review says XOVISION is another brand that sells this same unit.

Still, for <$10 it sounds like a deal. I paid $60 for my JVC unit 3 years ago with the same features. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
12/12/18 7:34 p.m.

The three I ordered showed up today.  Like john said I was astonished at the size when I opened the box.  They are very light and the small size could allow installation in unusual or different locations.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
12/12/18 7:44 p.m.

The aftermarket radio in my Miata has a remote. While I don't use car radios often the remote is handy, even in a Miata, because it's easier to hold at steering wheel height and operate. The Rice Krispies sized buttons on the radio face are impossible to use unless the car is stationary.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/12/18 7:58 p.m.

I'm going to have to weigh it when I get mine tomorrow and see how it stacks up. 

adam525i
adam525i Reader
12/12/18 8:46 p.m.

Whenever I see Blaupunkt on this site with so many Miatas all I can think of is the MacGruber movie with him carrying it around throughout.

MacGruber Miata scene

That is a BLAUPUNKT!

Adam

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/12/18 9:05 p.m.

I ordered three a while back. The delivery date was 12/26 but I got them 3 or 4 days ago. I think they just put that day after christmas date to make sure your expectations are low, but mine arrived in a normal time. 

I haven't used them yet (and dont actually need them currently per se) but I like what I've seen so far and I second the idea that the depth could make them useful in some non-standard locations. 

One particular thing that comes immediately to my mind is that the size of this thing would allow you to fit this tiny, powerful amp right behind it inside the radio cavity of most cars. I've used a couple of those already and they are awesome for the size. Grand total at Walmart prices for this ~750w head unit (amp dyno vid) is... $128 shipped. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/12/18 10:30 p.m.

Some of the guys over on the mye28.com board have ordered this radio, one took his apart and posted a picture of the innards.  There's not a lot to them.  smiley

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
12/13/18 4:24 a.m.

Well the site says $16.34 now so it isn't quite the deal that it was originally.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/13/18 7:23 a.m.

I have (ironically) a very old aftermarket cassette Blaupunkt radio in my K3500 (GMT 400).  On these trucks there's no real place to put a radio (factory radio was some odd-shaped deal- mine was a radio delete model so there's a clutter bin there) so they usually end up cutting a hole in the dash and plopping it in.  Trouble is, on mine the hole is right over an A/C duct so the radio sticks out of the dash an inch or so.  Looks very ghetto.  Like this:

Image result for blues brothers sam and dave 8-track

A low-profile head unit would be perfect for this, though.  Especially since my Blaupunkt died about a year ago.  

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/13/18 7:42 a.m.

I bought one. I paid $12. Just waiting for my next car to install it into.

First time I ever bought a stereo first, then found a car to put it in!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/13/18 8:16 a.m.
adam525i said:

Whenever I see Blaupunkt on this site with so many Miatas all I can think of is the MacGruber movie with him carrying it around throughout.

MacGruber Miata scene

That is a BLAUPUNKT!

Adam

My miata has a Blaupunkt. I assume that Petegossett put it in.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/13/18 8:46 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Pete probably put it in back when he had long blond hair and wore a vest.  

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
12/13/18 8:52 a.m.

I missed it.....  back up to $16. :-(

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
12/13/18 8:58 a.m.

This one is only $10, it's just missing AM and FM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Electronics-XDM16BT-High-Resolution-LCD-Single-DIN-Car-Stereo-with-Built-In-Bluetooth-USB-MP3-Player/54596679

Edit:  As volvoclearinghouse noted, this does have AM/FM.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
12/13/18 9:00 a.m.

Damn I didn't realize Blaupunkt went bankrupt and was sold off. 

Aurelius (Unternehmen) is the new holding company. The German pages suggest it's a long term investment company that owns a couple chemical suppliers and has some real estate holdings. It'd be a shame if they were just producing low end units from such a legendary company.

I had a Blaupunkt head unit in my first car and a composite speaker setup from them as well.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
12/13/18 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Slammo :

Just bought it....  Ill review when I get it.  :-)

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/13/18 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Slammo :

It says AM/FM in the title.  

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
12/13/18 9:34 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Oh that it does.  Probably the same unit then.  Normally I'd claim that I just didn't read the fine print but in this case it was in bold.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
12/13/18 10:06 a.m.

Update, BT works awesome, aux works just fine, AM/FM work great and it works in the cold. Winner in my book so far. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/13/18 10:50 a.m.

9.5 ounces the with mounting rack and the wires. I'm a few ounces below that with my dumb home brew, but this is so much easier and about 1/4 the cost. $10 BT stereos are clearly the new hotness. 

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
12/13/18 11:09 a.m.

Dang you guys...now I have 2 Blaupunkt on the way with no specific plans for which cars to put them in...but my mid-90s cassette tape cars definitely need them.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/13/18 11:25 a.m.
Slammo said:

This one is only $10, it's just missing AM and FM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Electronics-XDM16BT-High-Resolution-LCD-Single-DIN-Car-Stereo-with-Built-In-Bluetooth-USB-MP3-Player/54596679

Edit:  As volvoclearinghouse noted, this does have AM/FM.

That's the one I put in the Civic before I sold it. I had no complaints with it. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/13/18 11:43 a.m.

The stripped down board-only option opens up all kind of cool mounting ideas.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
12/13/18 9:05 p.m.

I bought a couple yesterday, they were $8.50 each! Back up to $16 tonight..

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/13/18 9:44 p.m.

Most of them are just big empty boxes now they don't need tape or CD transport inside.  I'm glad the "Blaupunkt" is finally a shortened version to deal with mounting depth issues with custom installs.  Both sad and relieved I didn't hear about them when they were $8.50.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
niK1XD4OKIg9jFc9NQJLlfG0BQuuPn1AwAN6UFwVVby7y8lOb7jF8F8OUNlULrhm