1 2
Tom F
Tom F New Reader
8/7/10 11:55 a.m.

it's a live rear axle so it will be really straight forward to swap a drive axle in

the driveshaft would be set up like a legends car with it going to the sprocket on the transmission

I know the front suspension is a little weird on the first gen CRX, but I'm not too worried about it

they are super cheap and hardly weigh anything, a 180hp 1700lb car would be a lot of fun

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
8/7/10 12:57 p.m.

all we can say is " DO IT DO IT DO IT"!!!

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Reader
8/7/10 1:28 p.m.

Might be fun until you needed to back up :)

Might need a lighter car, the busa has 90(?) Ft lb of torque at 10k, probably nothing at 1k.

Kj

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
8/7/10 1:31 p.m.

^One way to help would be gear it to top out around 130-140 vs 200.

But I still think an engine with that little TQ in a car, not a locost, would be a bit of bear.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
8/7/10 2:36 p.m.

Sounds cool, and you could likely get the weight under 1700 lbs no? You're getting rid of a heavy (relatively) motor/trans, the bike engine will be much lighter. You'd likely get pretty good and changing clutches... No reverse would suck.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
8/7/10 2:40 p.m.
I know the front suspension is a little weird on the first gen CRX, but I'm not too worried about it

If by "weird" you mean "incredibly simple," yes.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
8/7/10 2:57 p.m.

terrible idea. do it.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
8/7/10 3:54 p.m.

Been thinking of this myself. Should be doable, especially with some significant gutting (dash and all the crap behind it, door glass and regulators, stock engine and tranny).

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
8/7/10 4:08 p.m.

Oh, and you should very, very, very easily be able to get it under 1500lbs.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
8/7/10 4:15 p.m.
grimmelshanks wrote: terrible idea. do it.

poopshovel said:

Oh, and you should very, very, very easily be able to get it under 1500lbs

And then, boy...oh yeah, the fun begins! But bring earplugs....unless you LIKE the ringing in your ears.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
8/7/10 4:17 p.m.

Twin 'Busas may be an adjunct to the idea, just to get the insanity factor 'up there'

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
8/7/10 4:20 p.m.

Search the internet, I read somewhere of someone who made a 2nd Gen CRX into a 4WD using the drivetrain from a 80's 4wd Civic wagon.

It looked cool, you couldn't tell it was 4WD, and it was fast.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
8/7/10 5:25 p.m.

4WD is so much easier than that. Busa motor in the front, busa motor in the back. Boom. Done.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
8/7/10 5:50 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: 4WD is so much easier than that. Busa motor in the front, busa motor in the back. Boom. Done.

THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout, hey!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
8/7/10 6:30 p.m.

Graft a Miata subframe into the rear. Fab a diff mount and axles in the front to the factory hubs. Use 2 bike motors with sprocket to driveshaft adapters 1 motor aiming forwards, 1 motor aiming backwards. With this plan you can use dirt cheap 600cc motors and still have more power than the Busa. Twin transmissions and 4wd will allow the bike trans to last longer as well.

Tom F
Tom F New Reader
8/8/10 6:33 a.m.

not going to do twin engines, trying to do it on a budget lol

I'm thinking it should be possible to do it for under $5k

$500ish for the car

$100-200 for the rear axle

$2-3000 for the engine and wiring harness, ecu, etc.

$300 or so to get the driveshaft made at a local shop

and then whatever is left for random things that pop up along the way

Tom F
Tom F New Reader
8/8/10 6:35 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: ^One way to help would be gear it to top out around 130-140 vs 200. But I still think an engine with that little TQ in a car, not a locost, would be a bit of bear.

that's the plan, I was going to use a foxbody rear end so there would be lots of final drive options to play around with as well as being cheap and readily available

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
8/8/10 8:51 a.m.

Here is the solution to the gearing and the reverse gear This is brilliant: how to make Hayabusa move a car

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/8/10 9:31 a.m.
vazbmw wrote: how to make Hayabusa move a car

SWEET HOLY JESUS

Words cannot adequately express the EPICWINSAUCE thats happening there

Tom F
Tom F New Reader
8/8/10 10:05 a.m.
vazbmw wrote: Here is the solution to the gearing and the reverse gear This is brilliant: how to make Hayabusa move a car

yeah I've been watching their progress on that, really impressive

sadly I don't have a CNC machine lol

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
8/8/10 11:01 a.m.

Is it weird I don't see the point to that build? Or am I just so messed up that I think a Miata is too large?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/8/10 11:42 a.m.
unevolved wrote: Is it weird I don't see the point to that build? Or am I just so messed up that I think a Miata is too large?

the door is over there...please see your way out. There will be someone at the front gate to collect your credentials. Please have a nice life.

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
8/8/10 12:04 p.m.

Maybe it's because I'm going in the opposite direction with ours.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/8/10 12:26 p.m.

no no no dont get me wrong the VQ route is plenty entertaining as well...would be fun to see which one does better - bulk'd up displacement or adding lightness? on the 1320 Id think the VQ wins hands down, but as soon as you have to use the steering wheel, Id say nimble may have an edge...

Knurled
Knurled Reader
8/8/10 12:48 p.m.
Tom F wrote: it's a live rear axle so it will be really straight forward to swap a drive axle in

It's the trans tunnel that will kill you. That, and the rear suspension is 100% useless for locating a live axle, so you're going to be cutting floor and such no matter what.

Where's the rack?

they are super cheap

Where are you at? I'm bringing a car hauler.

if you can find CRXs, you can find Starlets. Those meet your criteria with a higher chance of not sucking.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
USEkOxUMR9eTmMPzmROmoM0P8HwqMaYSlVFqD56izGnRxk2rzCICvYfrmXjq1tlw