1 2 3 4
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
11/19/12 2:28 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Not the fastest cars on the planet, but they look great and from what I hear are reliable. Parts supply would be my only worry, but they did make them until 2005, you'd think parts would be out there...

Performance-wise, an ac 911 and an NSX aren't that far apart at least on paper, the NSX has a bit more power but TBH I think they'll both be OK. If I wanted stupidly fast I'd go look for a 996 TT but I've pretty much given up on that idea.

Parts availability would mostly be a concern if it's more than the regular postage delays. I'm getting used to the fact that most parts for my cars need to be ordered around here anyway, but if we're talking "overnighting from Japan" then that's a problem.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/19/12 2:47 p.m.

It's a Honda, nohing really all that different about them other than the engine location.

I've had mine for almost 5 years now, great cars.

No major issues in 30k miles, and I'm anything but easy on her.

edit: Can't pass up the chance to whore some vids.

Having fun with the new exhaust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2AzLkR2PPA

Dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUHJKHRSnw0

Old exhaust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c0hdQbrBA4

Track Days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZdkGznL7Vw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxzcY7dOYFI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW5HGXMtS8Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMz9rDFOkAw

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/19/12 2:49 p.m.

Oh and once you get good at driving it be ready to absolutely crush the egos of people in "faster" cars with "power".

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/19/12 2:50 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: The problem with the NSX is that nobody wants an exotic with a functioning climate control system.

Well then get an early year model with broken climate control, problem solved.

Though it is easliy fixable, just some caps that go bad on the board.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/19/12 2:59 p.m.

Even the almighty Hoff approves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N8PoySowdM

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
11/19/12 3:01 p.m.

Well, I was thinking of getting something like a '97 - I want the pop-up windows, but I could appreciate the six speed with the larger engine. Although a good 3L that's either not in the snap ring range or has had the gearbox replaced would certainly be worth considering.

@e_pie, did you run into any parts availability issues?

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/19/12 3:10 p.m.

They aren't as easy to find as say, Civic parts, but you can get just about anything you would need from various vendors on the internet.

I really can't think of anything off the top of my head that's all that difficult to get. Some things cost a bit more just because of the NSX tax, but it's nowhere near as bad as the Porsche tax.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/19/12 3:12 p.m.

Don't get lured in by the targa top, I did and wish I would have gotten a coupe.

The fun of driving with the top off is outweighed by the hassle of taking it on and off after the first year or so.

That and after you drive a coupe back to back with a targa it feels like a wet noodle.

Coupes have manual steering racks as well.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
11/19/12 3:46 p.m.

Talked to a guy once who ran a high end body shop he had an NSX which they were grafting a factory new rear frame on, said something about 14k for the frame and 8 hours of tig work.

Love the looks of those car, hopefully you find one.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
11/19/12 3:57 p.m.
e_pie wrote: They aren't as easy to find as say, Civic parts, but you can get just about anything you would need from various vendors on the internet. I really can't think of anything off the top of my head that's all that difficult to get. Some things cost a bit more just because of the NSX tax, but it's nowhere near as bad as the Porsche tax.

That's pretty positive then. I don't expect either car to be cheap to run, but I very much prefer something that doesn't also suffer from both Italian reliability and Italian supercar parts prices.

Of course I still have to convince the missus who would like us to get another 911.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
11/19/12 4:18 p.m.

Why did you give up on the 996TT?

Cotton
Cotton Dork
11/19/12 4:21 p.m.
e_pie wrote: Oh and once you get good at driving it be ready to absolutely crush the egos of people in "faster" cars with "power".

Is it me or do people say this about almost all cars with a perceived lack of power? I have an AC 911 and I hear it all the time from those guys (other ac 911 owners). I hear it a lot from bike owners too and it gets annoying imo.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
11/19/12 5:00 p.m.

If ever there was a car that sounded exactly like a KLZE it'd be the NSX's C30.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
11/19/12 5:03 p.m.

FYI - Edmund's Inside Line's Long-Term test blog owned for a year, they just sold it. It was a low-miles, stock, creampuff and still needed a ton of $$$ maintenance. Most items were no big deal, but people don't realize how much of that car really is one-off or special.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
11/19/12 8:50 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
JtspellS wrote: Man the rx8 will be there go for the NSX!!! Now if you want the RX the best bet is an S2 (09-11/2 body style) Best i can tell you is drive both though.
R3 is only S2

Saying over all not just excluding the R3

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
11/19/12 9:07 p.m.
Cotton wrote: Why did you give up on the 996TT?

I can't quite put my finger to it but after some soul searching we decided that if we're going in the direction of a 911, it should be a 964 or older.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
11/19/12 9:08 p.m.
Javelin wrote: FYI - Edmund's Inside Line's Long-Term test blog owned for a year, they just sold it. It was a low-miles, stock, creampuff and still needed a ton of $$$ maintenance. Most items were no big deal, but people don't realize how much of that car really is one-off or special.

I did follow their experience and you're right, the expense in the last few months was a bit scary - first the airbag ECU, then the cats.

Mind you, I'm very aware of how much money I sank into my "good" 911 so I'm not expecting to run either on Civic money.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
11/19/12 10:54 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Performance-wise, an ac 911 and an NSX aren't that far apart at least on paper, the NSX has a bit more power but TBH I think they'll both be OK. If I wanted stupidly fast I'd go look for a 996 TT but I've pretty much given up on that idea.

My Fiero turbo is faster than an NSX (much to the disgust of a locla owner) but the NSX certainly looks the part. I've awlways had a hankering for one!

ZOO
ZOO SuperDork
11/20/12 5:48 a.m.

I don't know that I've ever actually seen an NSX used for anything other than cruising or posing. There is a supercharged one that shows up at some track events I attend -- but it seems to simply stay in the parking lot.

Is there any type of competition pedigree with these cars? Does anyone actually DRIVE them as they were intended?

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
11/20/12 6:03 a.m.

www.nsxfiles.com

BoneYard_Racing
BoneYard_Racing Reader
11/20/12 6:03 a.m.

www.nsxfiles.com

rotard
rotard Dork
11/20/12 7:58 a.m.
e_pie wrote: Oh and once you get good at driving it be ready to absolutely crush the egos of people in "faster" cars with "power".

Cool story, Bro.

You should check out the C5 Z06 if you want a diyable car with massive performance for a similar price. It would probably get the nod in reliability and economy, as well.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
11/20/12 8:12 a.m.
ZOO wrote: I don't know that I've ever actually seen an NSX used for anything other than cruising or posing. There is a supercharged one that shows up at some track events I attend -- but it seems to simply stay in the parking lot. Is there any type of competition pedigree with these cars? Does anyone actually DRIVE them as they were intended?

I drive mine as it was intended.

In Japan there is a racing pedigree with the JGTC, not so much in the US though.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
11/20/12 8:14 a.m.
ZOO wrote: I don't know that I've ever actually seen an NSX used for anything other than cruising or posing. There is a supercharged one that shows up at some track events I attend -- but it seems to simply stay in the parking lot. Is there any type of competition pedigree with these cars? Does anyone actually DRIVE them as they were intended?

You're joking, right?

Just in case you're not, yes, they are (or at least were) raced quite a bit. But like any expensive car, you have a lot of people that buy them for the image. But driving them exclusively on the street is not the same as posing.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
11/20/12 9:12 a.m.
PHeller wrote: If ever there was a car that sounded exactly like a KLZE it'd be the NSX's C30.

Ehhhh.... the C30 is a bit deeper and throatier than the KLZE. Sounds more like a JE-ZE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I8Ce6Ut-vo

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lUxPO2i2H9CfJqcxadYloRZ6vv6fzORjylclKEb6NNcWtIJCo0ub62l6OjcG27xl