DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
9/14/18 10:26 a.m.

I'm going to make a 3-link rear end on my Challenge project. The biggest issue I have is cutting accurate slots for the lower link front mounts. I have a small drill press, so I can drill the end holes, or a series of adjustment holes and then try angle grinders to hack out the slot. I could try and weld up brackets to create a slot with some flat bar maybe. Any other ways to accomplish this without a milling machine?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/14/18 10:39 a.m.

I am guessing that the unspoken part is that it has to be pretty much free "Cause Challenge"

That said, have you discovered the Welder Series of hot rod parts? Paul Horton used to build HOt Rods until he realized that CNC equipment and a huge array of brackets was more profitable.

https://www.welderseries.com/Chassis-Parts-c12959479

To get back to the original question: What is your objection to the grinder with a 1/16" zip wheel? I can cut a pretty straight line with those things. Swing by the shop and I can fire up a plasma cutter if you want to try that? Hardcore, a hacksaw will do the job maybe? Need pic of what you are are trying to do.

Pete

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/14/18 1:51 p.m.

I made a couple bracket using the cut off disc on my angle grinder, drilled holes first.

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron Reader
9/14/18 1:56 p.m.

Carbide bit on a die grinder works wonders and is a lot easier to control than an angle grinder in that manner.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
9/14/18 2:17 p.m.

I want to fabricate something similar to the bracket at the front of the rear clip on this frame. It allows adjustment of the lower links for fine tuning the handling. The bracket for the Watts linkage is slotted, too and appears to be a weldment.

pkingham
pkingham Reader
9/14/18 2:23 p.m.

You're welcome to to do it (or I can) on my mill.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/14/18 2:24 p.m.

welder or competition enginering those brackets are about 20.00

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
9/14/18 2:26 p.m.

They don't look like they need to be terribly precise there, right?  Without a mill, I'd drill a hole at the end and use an angle grinder to cut down to it.  Then I'd do a second piece the same way and weld it together.

If you're patient, you could drill the ends angle grinder the middle and finish the slot with a Dremel.

Otherwise just buy it.  

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
9/14/18 2:30 p.m.

In reply to pkingham :

Thanks , Phil !  I'll give you a shout once I get the basic brackets cut out.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
9/14/18 2:32 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

If it weren't for a Challenge car I would simply buy them. They can be made from $0.50 worth of steel on a mill though.

pkingham
pkingham Reader
9/14/18 7:31 p.m.

If you’re in a hurry, timing may be an issue. I’m available between C&C in Ann Arbor and about 3:00 pm tomorrow, but after that I’m tied up for the next week, available again on Sunday of next weekend. I know there isn’t much time until the Challenge, so I realize that may be a problem for you. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
9/14/18 7:53 p.m.

In reply to pkingham :

Oh, there's no hurry. The car isn't going to make this year's event. I'm shooting for 2019 already.

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
9/14/18 8:49 p.m.
DeadSkunk said:

In reply to GTXVette :

If it weren't for a Challenge car I would simply buy them. They can be made from $0.50 worth of steel on a mill though.

You're paying to much for the free bedrails on the side of the road.

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
9/15/18 1:29 a.m.

How do you make a slot?

With a slot machine

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/15/18 6:39 a.m.

I KNOW IT'S ABOUT BEING CHEEP, BUT DON'T USE BED RAIL TO HOLD THE REAR IN PLACE.

PLEASE.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/15/18 9:23 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Would you have an aneurysm if I told you that I rallycrossed for years with suspension links made out of galvanized water pipe?

I held my breath while welding it up.

To the OP, I always just cut a hole in the floor big enough to handle any articulation, and covered the mess with a piece of truck mudflap held down with zip screws and a bungee cord.  Sometimes I didn't use zip screws.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/15/18 9:34 a.m.
Toebra said:

How do you make a slot?

With a slot machine

About 200cc of silicone and an IQ of 60. Oh, you said SLOT...

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/15/18 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

nothin' like Green smoke.  and you are still Alive so there's That.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
9/15/18 12:45 p.m.

Everything is being made from nice  brand new steel tubing. Even so, I won't be driving the car....the rent-a-driver pros at the Challenge will ! wink

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/16/18 6:41 p.m.

Don't waste more time just buy them likley cheaper then the steel plate you'd buy.

A & A

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/16/18 11:01 p.m.

Does it need to be a slot, or would a series of holes be okay? Means you don't have infinite adjustability, but really you just need "enough". Also, with holes there's no chance of one slipping.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
9/17/18 6:40 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Holes would be my second choice and would probably work fine. But , I have Phil offering to make a slot in the same piece of steel that I would be drilling holes in anyway. May as well do the slots I think.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
9/17/18 6:43 a.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf :

I'll be making the brackets from rectangular tubing with one narrow side removed. I bought the tubing for $0.80/ft. I can't buy the parts cheaper. For  a non-Challenge car I certainly would though, just to save time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e9M9eusYvTPWfDZLPuYE3fgJEVOh4VXifvUtdFrPJFzHIYUKpZn2b3gzKwLVOLDO