1 2
Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/3/21 8:10 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Whatever cleaning fluid you use, wipe it off with old newspaper - old detailer's trick. Can't explain why it works so well, but it does.

I have heard the 'old newspaper' trick for 50 years and all it ever makes for me is a soggy mess and black fingers.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/3/21 8:12 p.m.

I've never had any luck with newspaper.  I hate cleaning windows, it always a streaky mess...

GeddesB
GeddesB New Reader
9/3/21 8:21 p.m.
02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
9/3/21 9:06 p.m.
Duke said:
02Pilot said:

Whatever cleaning fluid you use, wipe it off with old newspaper - old detailer's trick. Can't explain why it works so well, but it does.

I have heard the 'old newspaper' trick for 50 years and all it ever makes for me is a soggy mess and black fingers.

You're using too much cleaning fluid. Black fingers depends on the ink the paper uses - some are worse than others (NY Times is terrible, Wall Street Journal is great).

JLineberg
JLineberg New Reader
9/5/21 1:29 p.m.

Without a doubt, the best thing I have used is a waffle weave microfiber cloth and invisible glass.

I clean the microfiber with Free and Clear laundry detergent and pour a little bit of vinegar into the machine. Not sure that actually does anything, but what the hell. Dry on low, call it a day.

Junghole
Junghole SuperDork
9/5/21 5:25 p.m.

Oh dude. Everything I have tried smears. Get a tiny squeegee, dawn and hot water. Lather, shqueege, mop up the drips off the dashboard. Done. 

afterwards- NEVER let any living thing touch the inside. 

Junghole
Junghole SuperDork
9/5/21 5:26 p.m.
Duke said:
02Pilot said:

See above post. 

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
10/2/21 12:03 p.m.

Bumping this thread to thank Wade at Fastenal in Oshawa, who set me up with a can of Sprayway yesterday when I told him that it was the consensus favourite and his was the first place I'd found that had it in stock around here.  (BTW, I agree: it works great!)

Wade is into motorsports but hadn't previously heard about GRM.  I figure we both did well out of the deal.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/4/21 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel :

Cool and thanks. Yeah, Sprayway for the win. I keep a can in the kitchen, too, for use inside the house. (We have a glass-topped kitchen table.)

David S. Wallens
10/4/21 3:12 p.m.

Sorta related, look for a clean-up editorial piece in the next few days: How to quickly/easily/efficiently/whatever clean rubber, plastic and glass. Figure it can help some $2000 Challenge teams. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/4/21 3:20 p.m.

Regarding the newspaper trick:

You need to crumple it up first! 

Hold it and use it like it's a sponge, not a flat towel. 

SPG123
SPG123 HalfDork
10/4/21 3:49 p.m.

Interesting timing on this. Polished the 84 Mustang GT convertible windshield last night with Cerium Oxide. Then Windex with a clean blue glass cloth. And finally with a damp chamois.     Not perfect but wildly better and pretty great for 37 year old glass.     

David S. Wallens
10/5/21 11:04 a.m.

Ever clean the inside of the rear window of a Porsche 911 coupe? You have to like kneel backwards on the seats and kind of double-arch your back. That probably explains why I never cleaned it until recently. This towel was clean when I started. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/5/21 11:56 a.m.

Oh I forgot to update this earlier.  Yeah, that stuff in a can was a total gamechanger for me.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
10/5/21 3:18 p.m.

Hello, former professional window cleaner here. Nothing will get your windows cleaner than a squeegee used with nearly any detergent. NOTHING!

The trouble with windshields is that they're usually quite curved. The answer is a narrow squeegee. My little one is 8 inches wide and works wonders on windshields. I've cleaned "clean" windshields and find that it makes a massive difference. I put a towel down on any sensitive dashboards, but usually I just clean up the drips with a rag or paper towel.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
uRTgNKRT8Zm4KK0rcBZYigqoP9dCzj4XtMGV41nB60NvYUYdvsg7L1RWoA8SRBrD