1 2 3
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
5/14/21 4:09 a.m.

I am the home mechanic type, you know the routine.  Jack, jackstands, two car garage and the need to fix the broken family cars before the next day.

That being said, I cannot find a comfortable way to work on them.  Specifically brakes.  Under hood work is not bad. Under the car stuff is ok too but anytime brake work comes around it takes a lot out of me, my knees and my back.

I have used foam kneelers, kneeled on thick foam used to ship tvs, milk crates to sit on and none work awesome. good but not great.

I suppose i could jack the car much higher which would keep me from getting too hunched over and thats a start but what about a seat or kneeler? Knee pads? 

What do you do?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/14/21 4:56 a.m.

I mostly do work outside on my concrete driveway but my concrete tends to be rough/course.  For kneeling I rely on a kitchen anti fatigue mat.  It was something my wife bought years ago for in front of the sink but disliked there. 

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
5/14/21 5:02 a.m.

Boat seat cushions work great for me. Also, padded lawn chair cushions. I have a couple long ones too.

I take one of each to the track to use too.

I like using a simple wrap aroound "ACE" style back support. Former back surgery patient.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/14/21 5:40 a.m.

There's usually a lot of pain working on cars.  It goes with the territory.  

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports HalfDork
5/14/21 6:11 a.m.

Walking funny the next few days from sore legs kinda seems normal anymore. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
5/14/21 6:14 a.m.

Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/14/21 6:28 a.m.

I generally lift a car on a hoist if I have to do anything as involved as checking tire pressures.

Screw kneeling.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
5/14/21 6:32 a.m.

I have SUV's so height is not a problem. Sit on the tire, no problem.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
5/14/21 6:35 a.m.

Stretch before and after. Consider large Yoga mats, expecially ones that are very thickly padded.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
5/14/21 6:37 a.m.

Milk crates are my go to. They do double duty to carry the tools where I'm working and as a reasonable seat.

I do tend to jack the car up a little higher than I would if I was sitting on the floor - so that's a bit of a con.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
5/14/21 6:41 a.m.

My solution involves a lift in an air conditioned garage.

Consider maxjax or scissor lift? Easy way to get car a few feet in the air (and likely pays for itself in 3-4 brake jobs vs having a shop do it.) Then roller stool.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
5/14/21 6:44 a.m.

I have spent a fair amount of money to be comfortable working on cars. This was probably the best money spent. 

20180912_101907_HDR.jpg

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
5/14/21 6:45 a.m.

For brakes, I find stools or milk crates are too tall. I jack the car up until the wheels are only a few inches off the ground, then sit on the ground with my legs under the car. It's pretty comfortable, but getting up and down to grab more tools is a pain. I'll second the two-post lift suggestion, but I know that's not everybody's reality. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
5/14/21 7:08 a.m.

I've reached the age where I've found using the Visa card and cheque book are easiest on my back and knees.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/14/21 7:24 a.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

I have spent a fair amount of money to be comfortable working on cars. This was probably the best money spent. 

20180912_101907_HDR.jpg

Man that looks awesome.  I've considered an outdoor lift but here in KY it would mean 4 months of absolutely no work on cars.  Nov-Feb would just be too cold.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports HalfDork
5/14/21 7:27 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

20180912_101907_HDR.jpg

Man that looks awesome.  I've considered an outdoor lift but here in KY it would mean 4 months of absolutely no work on cars.  Nov-Feb would just be too cold.

Here as well and the wind.  The wind off the mountains is brutal as always seems windiest on days I need to work on something or trash day.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/14/21 7:43 a.m.

For brake or suspension work low down below knee level on the car: Car up on stands and I plop my ass on the ground sitting indian style. Piece of carpet if floor is dirty or wet or cold.  I like coveralls to save my jeans if it is not too hot.

Under the car I am still pretty comfortable at 62 using my shoulder blades and butt-cheeks as a form of locomotion. Once in place, how can I complain about laying down on the job? Often have a small cardboard box to use as a pillow and avoid neck strain. 

Under dash stuff, I more and more resort to removing the seats. Lots of room to get comfortable on your back with a matt and your legs on the back seat.  I used to be comfortable laying upside down in the seat, but not so much anymore.

For me the challenge is trucks. Reaching anything in the engine bay tends to be impossible. I avoid them.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
5/14/21 7:51 a.m.

I just did brake work (picking up a set of spindles and disc brakes for a swap) while on the ground the the local yard. My first order of business was to find something to lessen the sting of the gravel. Luckily only a couple cars away was a trunk liner.

Then it was on to 'junk yard yoga' poses - I think I eventually was in the 'downward junk yard dog pose'. Thinking back I should have applied a Salonpas patch to my back and knees before I went there.

I, of course, used a couple tires a seats but they were usually the wrong size for where I really needed to be. At home I find the a milk crate is often just about right for brake work. 

pkingham (Forum Supporter)
pkingham (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/14/21 7:58 a.m.

I use a short/low lawn chair for working on brakes.  Easier to get up from and not as cold as the ground

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
5/14/21 7:58 a.m.
Placemotorsports said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

20180912_101907_HDR.jpg

Here as well and the wind.  The wind off the mountains is brutal as always seems windiest on days I need to work on something or trash day.

The summers are more brutal than winter around here. My off months are July and August. 

I'd love to have it inside in the AC, but my shop only has 8' ceilings. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/14/21 8:00 a.m.

First is one vehicle getting worked on in the garage at a time, placed in the center so that you have the ability to move and place things around it far enough to be out of the way or close enough to be within reach without the restriction of another vehicle within 3 ft of it on one side and a wall on the other. 

Second is a roller stool and jumbo thick yoga mat. The third thing I use is strange, but it helps, is a lounger designed for sunning on the beach. It provides just enough back support to allow you to sit up and reach forward while laying on your back. It's not great and could definitely provide more support, but when paired with good cordless impacts, it makes life easier. 

I can't find an actual picture of mine. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/14/21 8:01 a.m.

I think I just sit on my butt.  I have no special technique, but it doesn't seem to bother me.  Its not comfortable, but not really uncomfortable either.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/14/21 8:02 a.m.

I have a harbor freight roll around stool all the way down. Makes me the right height and I can roll around 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/14/21 8:08 a.m.

For brakes or anything else at that level, this thing is a lifesaver. I even use it when detailing the lower parts of a car. It's padded, it rolls, and it has a spot to put bolts and tools. I'm on my second one after I wore out the casters on the first.

For laying under cars, I have some dense foam anti-fatigue mat stuff that I bought at Costco years ago, and I just slide that under there.

But, I'm a 50-year-old fat guy who spends his days in front of a computer. Working on cars leaves me sore, there's no avoiding it.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/14/21 8:25 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

For brakes, I find stools or milk crates are too tall. I jack the car up until the wheels are only a few inches off the ground, then sit on the ground with my legs under the car. It's pretty comfortable, but getting up and down to grab more tools is a pain. I'll second the two-post lift suggestion, but I know that's not everybody's reality. 

This is exactly how I usually do brakes (if I can't use my lift). Sit on the ground. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2qocXksX3SOn1nSSse9v8Kv62KE4oPtuURyAXNLZ9omiaB8dx8ZpIeLCc5MgvhZt