1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/17/20 9:06 a.m.
feature_image

Pro racer (and nice guy) Andy Lally makes a good point via Twitter: Are offset numbers too ugly and off-balanced?

Read the rest of the story

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/17/20 9:13 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Andy's complaint is that the numbers aren't centered on the "door"? Honestly I wouldn't have even noticed if it wasn't pointed out. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/17/20 9:28 a.m.

Looks way better. What's special about the door for the number?

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
6/17/20 9:29 a.m.

If the number was larger than sponsor logo it would look better.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/17/20 9:30 a.m.

if i was jacking up the car by the number panel, i'd care about it being aligned with the car's CG.  Otherwise, IDGAF.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/17/20 9:33 a.m.

I think it might look a little better with the number in front of "Sunnoco" rather than behind, but go ahead and put the number where it's readable and makes sense. I don't see a way to make that particular paint scheme really work with the number centered on where the door would be.

Hasbro (Forum Supporter)
Hasbro (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/17/20 9:38 a.m.
tuna55 said:

Looks way better. What's special about the door for the number?

yes

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/17/20 9:46 a.m.

looks better than old school.  I don't think the numbers even need to be that large.  wink  It's 2020, timing is not done by a bunch of people with stopwatches looking out of a building.  Just look at famous Le Mans cars of the past, or F1.   

Pro need sponsors to survive.  I say let the sponsor's artists go crazy if they want.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
6/17/20 9:51 a.m.

I like it.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Reader
6/17/20 9:54 a.m.

'The horror, the horror.' How can humanity survive this? My people have sent a message of support to Mr. Lally's people. It also contained my offer to relieve him of the burdensome duty of racing a car with offset numbers.

At the moment, I can't think of anything that concerns me less. 

79rex
79rex Reader
6/17/20 10:02 a.m.

about the only number placement on a racecar that may bother me is if it ended up on the wheels

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/17/20 10:06 a.m.

I like that livery. Looks like the car is going so fast that the number is having trouble keeping up and has slid back a couple feet.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/17/20 10:09 a.m.

Regardless if you like how it looks or not, you noticed the car, which is the point,  right?

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
6/17/20 10:12 a.m.

That car doesn't have doors. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/17/20 10:14 a.m.

Don't they have giant numbers on the roof so it's a bit irrelevant?

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
6/17/20 10:25 a.m.

I could say that's a first-world problem, but it's more like a 0.01% first world problem.  Can we get some teams to start using Roman numerals tho??

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/17/20 10:34 a.m.

I'd be more concerned about the fact there are no brake calipers.

Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude)
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) MegaDork
6/17/20 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I didn't think NASCAR used brakes. They just hit the car in front of them to slow down. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
6/17/20 10:39 a.m.

Looks like a GT, or V8 supercar livery, but I see no problem, especially with the large roof numbers like Paul pointed out. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/17/20 10:57 a.m.

I've avoided a number of controversial topics lately but I cannot longer stay quiet.  The numbers belong in the center of the door where God and Richard Petty put them. 

drock25too
drock25too New Reader
6/17/20 11:02 a.m.
NorseDave said:

I could say that's a first-world problem, but it's more like a 0.01% first world problem.  Can we get some teams to start using Roman numerals tho??

I had a friend do that . III = #3 Right? The announcer started calling it ,One Eleven.  Even with the bars on top and bottom.  

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
6/17/20 11:16 a.m.

That's a nice looking livery.

Durty
Durty Reader
6/17/20 11:30 a.m.

Centered numbers is a very "Oval" racing mindset, I like numbers that can wind around the livery like a fine road course. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/17/20 11:43 a.m.

most of my cars have had the number under the sideview mirror... so I'm more used to offset

go figure that NASCAR would bias their numbers backwards

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wUsTvxGsoU5LNh8l5jiE2Ot6cOx3aWAEH36qrQHpMR9iDNZkhunRIHZxW7OLnzvJ