itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
2/12/23 9:41 p.m.

So say you were looking for a 1997 Miata manual ( or other specific make and model) for drivetrain parts. You are looking for something hit in the rear with hail damage and an interior destroyed by a jealous ex. We all know copart exists, and probably check Facebook groups for the mark, but where else should people look? Any tips or tricks for how you scored the perfect doner?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
2/12/23 9:55 p.m.

I have good luck with model specific forums.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/12/23 10:15 p.m.

Salvage auction. That hit in the rear was likely not the driver's fault, so the other guys insurance company determined that the Miata needed $5k worth of work but is only worth $6k so rather than pay to fix it the insurance company "total" the Miata paying the Miata owner $6k. The insurance company estimates that it can get $1500 at auction for the damaged Miata. 

For the insurance company, $6k paid out but $1.5k gained at auction is a net of $4.5k to settle the accident which to them is cheaper than a $5k repair bill to a $6k car.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
2/12/23 10:18 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Which auctions do you look in? I know copart exists but it seems prices vary widely for those without a brokers license.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/12/23 10:22 p.m.

Copart and IAA are the two companies that do insurance auction. Personally, I have bought about 13 from IAA but never from Copart. The reason being that my local IAA is just 20 minutes away and Copart is an hour. 

In years past, I have written extensively in threads like this and the subsiquentl threads linked within that thread.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
2/13/23 12:57 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks. I have read those threads but I guess I was wondering if anyone has a method outside of mark specific forums and insurance auctions. Like I was considering calling some of the numbers on the "we buy your junk car" sites to see if they will call me if they get a xxxx car called in for pick up. Anyone tried anything like this or similar?

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
2/13/23 6:13 a.m.

If you're looking for an entire car, I don't know of any other ways besides what's been mentioned here...CL, FB, Ebay, model specific forums, Copart, IAA.  If there's a public auction near you, try that.  If you call a salvage yard they would charge you an arm and a leg for an entire vehicle, since it's worth much more to them in parts.  I don't think those "we buy your junk car" places would sell the car to you, unless it was for a price you probably wouldn't want to pay.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
2/13/23 7:12 a.m.

Within an hour of me there are at least two Miata dismantlers who aren't online savvy. Mostly you have to work the stuff that's already been talked about but don't forget networking in real life or knocking on doors. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/13/23 9:02 a.m.

I have a well known and established presence    In Jaguar community.   Over many decades I've called friends who are interested in brands other than jaguars and they return the favor regarding Jaguars. 
   When I'm hot for something I call all the guys on my Rolodex. ( yeh! that  long ago).   And let them know  then wait.  Sometimes it's years before things appear at the price I'm willing to pay.  
  The best deals are Labor Day to Christmas. When people just want them gone.   Early spring everybody is looking.  Least likely to find at a price you'll want to pay.  

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
2/13/23 9:22 a.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Yeah. I think this is what I am running into. It seems like anything that can be parted for value gets picked up by the mark specific guys before it ever shows up on the mark forums and marketplace ads. I guess what I am really trying to do is find out how THEY get the cars. My guess is a lot of it is networking and word of mouth. .... and I need to figure out how to get the word.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/13/23 9:24 a.m.

craigslist is still pretty good for this IMO

wae
wae PowerDork
2/13/23 9:26 a.m.

Find people that have part-out ads posted where they say they're not interested in selling the whole car and then hassle them over and over about how much they want for the whole car.  Be sure to ask what's the lowest they'll take for it.

At least, that's what has happened to me every time I've parted out a car or bike...

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
2/13/23 9:27 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I have seen guys with car trailers waiting outside the metal scrapper weigh scales buying whole cars from people who are just turning the whole thing over for metal value not parts. So there must be some meat on the bone left between what they paid the car owner and the parts value. I just don't have the kind of time to patiently wait like that since this isn't for money making purposes. I guess that is why I was HOPING the cash for your junk guys might be interested?

calteg
calteg SuperDork
2/13/23 10:01 a.m.

Check around the back of your local repair places. I've bought a few cars that had mechanic's leins this way

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 Reader
2/14/23 10:29 p.m.

Ebay used to have a Salvage/Parts Cars section, years ago. That's where I found my '71 Bronco...for $300.

FBM has some, and SearchTempest, if you search enough.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vu8QzVquDQghMxxmYqfgCFnFI4sPe0Ns7uQfc4vXKlFJ7atrPHoms7c0YzH6SHXf