1 2
iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
7/5/12 5:28 p.m.

Hey, the thing is 22 yrs old. things are going to wear out, dry rot, rust/corrode whatever..

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
7/5/12 5:44 p.m.

It IS a Mitsubishi

njansenv
njansenv Dork
7/5/12 5:58 p.m.

I bought an appliance - cool DD's just weren't cool enough to deal with the frustration. I now have a "fun" car (a still frustrating, badly neglected E36 M3), and a car that gets fuel and oil changes. So far, it's the best of both worlds.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
7/5/12 7:14 p.m.

shot gun

Knurled
Knurled SuperDork
7/5/12 7:27 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: The vehicle I am frustrated with is my new 1990 Mitsubishi van.

I'd say anything Mitsubishi is evil, but I'll bet that most of the electricals on your RX-7 have the three diamonds on them.

What do I do when frustrated? Watch other people make it past their struggles.

This car would normally either not make a complete pass, or would have severe shifting issues. Seems sorted now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_h1qGJkf4U&feature=relmfu

Seeing other people de-ruin their E36 M3 makes me feel more confident in getting mine straightened out.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
7/5/12 8:12 p.m.

Well I got the garage cleaned up a bit tonight. Then I decided to track down the coolant leak. Found it straight away,and went to the local parts house. They actually had a hose that was close enough just needed a trim is all. Installed and the van now is leak free, well of coolant anyway. Noise still is present, but I am determined to find, I think at least.

Team Evil is just jealous of my super awesome pimp van!! He will deny it, but secretly he longs for a ride in it. Well that came out wrong, didn't it?

Chris

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
7/5/12 8:18 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: The vehicle I am frustrated with is my new 1990 Mitsubishi van.
I'd say anything Mitsubishi is evil, but I'll bet that most of the electricals on your RX-7 have the three diamonds on them. What do I do when frustrated? Watch other people make it past their struggles. This car would normally either not make a complete pass, or would have severe shifting issues. Seems sorted now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_h1qGJkf4U&feature=relmfu Seeing other people de-ruin their E36 M3 makes me feel more confident in getting mine straightened out.

The van is actually well engineered, and I a really truly believe the cooling issues that these are known for are really just stupid drivers that neglect the vehicles more than any design flaw. The radiator is robust,and gets lots of air flow, so I just think it is a matter normally lazy Americans that don't want to even lift a hood being even more lazy about having to lift a seat up to check the oil or coolant. I bet they never look at the gauges other than speed, and the gas gauge.

I believe you are right about a lot of the electronics on my Mazda's being Mitsubishi stuff. The van is well built, it is just a matter of being frustrated by a vehicle that I believe was neglected, and now I am sorting it out. I was told it was in good shape, and body structure wise that is true but most of the running gear is in need of some help.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UltraDork
7/5/12 8:36 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: The van is actually well engineered, and I a really truly believe the cooling issues that these are known for are really just stupid drivers that neglect the vehicles more than any design flaw. The radiator is robust,and gets lots of air flow, so I just think it is a matter normally lazy Americans that don't want to even lift a hood being even more lazy about having to lift a seat up to check the oil or coolant. I bet they never look at the gauges other than speed, and the gas gauge.

As a 2x prior Toyota Space Shuttle owner (one of which popped a head gasket, albeit at 283k), and a guy with knowledge of the Nissan van that was so known for overheating and starting on fire that Nissan recalled and crushed 99% of them, I think it can generally be said that 80's Japanese breadbox vans just have crappy cooling. I'll agree that the van is well-engineered in general, but having poked around a few, the radiator does NOT get lots of air flow, I'm sorry to say. Mitsubishi as a make is known for cooling and head gasket issues, and the design of the Delica does absolutely nothing to alleviate the problem. If I were you, I would get some SERIOUS aftermarket e-fans set up ASAP.

patgizz
patgizz UltraDork
7/5/12 8:44 p.m.

if i were in your shoes i'd slap an LSx engine on an S10 chassis and drop the mistu van body on it. then drive it a couple hundred thousand trouble free miles.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
7/5/12 8:50 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote:
Mazdax605 wrote: The van is actually well engineered, and I a really truly believe the cooling issues that these are known for are really just stupid drivers that neglect the vehicles more than any design flaw. The radiator is robust,and gets lots of air flow, so I just think it is a matter normally lazy Americans that don't want to even lift a hood being even more lazy about having to lift a seat up to check the oil or coolant. I bet they never look at the gauges other than speed, and the gas gauge.
As a 2x prior Toyota Space Shuttle owner (one of which popped a head gasket, albeit at 283k), and a guy with knowledge of the Nissan van that was so known for overheating and starting on fire that Nissan recalled and crushed 99% of them, I think it can generally be said that 80's Japanese breadbox vans just have crappy cooling. I'll agree that the van is well-engineered in general, but having poked around a few, the radiator does NOT get lots of air flow, I'm sorry to say. Mitsubishi as a make is known for cooling and head gasket issues, and the design of the Delica does absolutely nothing to alleviate the problem. If I were you, I would get some SERIOUS aftermarket e-fans set up ASAP.

This thing runs really cool, and I disagree the radiator gets tons of air. We can agree to disagree I suppose. But I actually own the van in question, and can tell you it doesn't run hot even when puking coolant out of a hose on my ride home yesterday in 90+ degree weather. I am convinced it is more operator error on these than bad design. Mitsu may be known for cooling issues, but I have a friend in Quartzsite, AZ that drives these exclusively and never has overheating issues. If they can survive there they don't have cooling issues if you ask me. It's a lack of simple maintenance if you ask me.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
7/5/12 8:52 p.m.
patgizz wrote: if i were in your shoes i'd slap an LSx engine on an S10 chassis and drop the mistu van body on it. then drive it a couple hundred thousand trouble free miles.

Not gonna happen. Maybe a V8 transplant but the idea of mounting this unibody van on a S-10 chassis is something I am not capable of. I know my limits,and if I am getting frustrated with this then that will make me suicidal.

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
7/5/12 8:58 p.m.

Move on to another project for a few days.

You are probably dealing with deferred maintenance and all you can do is work your way through it.

Knurled
Knurled SuperDork
7/5/12 10:32 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: knowledge of the Nissan van that was so known for overheating and starting on fire that Nissan recalled and crushed 99% of them, I think it can generally be said that 80's Japanese breadbox vans just have crappy cooling.

!!!

I thought they were recalled because they were unsafe if you drove them on roads.

Jeez. Lots of Japanese cars with overheating problems. I guess it must never get hot in Japan, just like all of the crappy heaters in Audis and VWs and Porsches lead me to believe that it never gets cold in Germany.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
7/5/12 10:50 p.m.

I had a Volvo that drove me nuts. I drug it to back yard and left it. While working on a Saab I got so irritated I grabbed my smith and put a mag full in the Volvo and told the Saab your next! Then the repair went smoothly.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
7/5/12 11:02 p.m.

Get a chair and just take a break..... I can't tell you have much time I've sat beside my MX-3 so infuriated I could (and have) screamed. Just set back and take a breather., sometimes it honestly does help!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic New Reader
7/6/12 12:59 a.m.

I take it out on my currently running car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KoMefAZSy1217gCJHEBZiBmgb695qh3jcQHyypnfxCQLkN1AobjMPej44wO7uV78