1 2
vsquaredbyrho
vsquaredbyrho New Reader
6/13/21 7:07 p.m.

I love driving in the rain with a fresh application of Rain-X. Seeing clearly without using windshield wipers is just magical.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/13/21 7:35 p.m.

So while I'm blessed with car control skills and do well in the rain I'd rather race in the dry. There is so much of it you can't control; like I said I do well but I don't get a big thrill out of it.

Now track days in the rain I'm OK with as your just joining around...example below.

This video is an onboard from my friends Miata; he catches up to me at minute 4:20 and I try to throw it off the road at minute 12:30.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9BkWphQ4Zik&t=756s

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/13/21 8:01 p.m.

First SCCA driver school at Mid-Ohio in April, snow on the grass in the morning, later turned to rain for the rest of the day. Michael Shank was my driving instructor. Second school at Nelson Ledges, rained all day.

Completed two regionals that year to get my license, both in the rain. Open top D/SR. 

Welcome to road racing. 

Rain is just a factor you need to be prepared for.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
6/13/21 8:11 p.m.
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) said:

I love riding my motorcycles in the rain! Why, no clue, but being able to slide both the front and rear wheels controllably is fun. Getting it wrong, not so much.

I don't enjoy sliding the front on a motorcycle.  I've forced myself to developed the skills to slide both ends both in the dirt and on pavement because I think it's important to survival but I don't find it fun.  The big reason I don't particularly like riding in the rain is that the way the seat is shaped on my bike water pools in the crotch area.  Even in rain gear I find having water slosh around my crotch off-putting.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/13/21 8:19 p.m.

Thanks for the responses, this has been fun. Addressing some of the comments, I agree that driving in wet conditions can be a significant learning opportunity. We had torrential rain at about my third or fourth autocross event. 

I had only owned my first Miata for a couple of months and it was a real jump start on learning the car. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZrlJ6914d6TqFwss2EzLpW6tzCz15ge07AwqxcAuDU3ruzm6obYObIulO1EtIFDQ