kanaric
kanaric SuperDork
10/29/18 12:43 p.m.

Should have one of my two projects sold in the next couple of days. Earlier I asked about Caymans.

One car I was always curious about but don't really know anything about is the Nismo 350z. I used to be a 350z owner, an 03, but know nothing about the Nismos. 

Looking for a track/autocross weekender

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/29/18 12:46 p.m.

There used to be one that came to our autocrosses a few years ago.

At the time, the stock wheel width specifically pushed it out of Street and into BSP, where it was outclassed significantly.  I do not know if that is still true.

Other than that, I don't know much about them, other than to say I am not really a 350Z / 370Z fan.  If you are, my generic opinion is of course not important.

kanaric
kanaric SuperDork
10/29/18 12:55 p.m.

I was a fan of my old 03. I just thought it didn't go far enough.

350z has chassis upgrades for example. Just wondering how people think if them since no info really has come up 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
10/29/18 12:59 p.m.

One of the Delta Region board members has a Nismo 370z. It looks great & she’s pretty fast in it, but can’t offer anything beyond that. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/29/18 1:49 p.m.

I think 350 and 370 Nismos are pretty cool cars. If you care about classing, i dont know anything about that. If you thought the 03 didn't go far enough, the question will be is the Nismo enough better? I guess you have to be more specific about what you didn't like on the 03.  The Nismo is functionally mostly just suspension and brakes. 

kanaric
kanaric SuperDork
10/29/18 2:33 p.m.

I thought the 350z would need a lot of suspension mods for it to be where I wanted. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/29/18 8:38 p.m.

Sounds like you should drive a Nismo. Can't hurt!

djsilver
djsilver Reader
10/30/18 3:26 a.m.

Beyond suspension and brake upgrades, the Nismo versions had the chassis stitch-welded at the factory.  I have a friend that has had multiple 350/370Z's and Miatas in both street, autocross, and track trim.  He recently acquired his first Nismo version (370Z) and had publicly said the chassis is far stiffer than the standard versions and allows more effective adjustment of the suspension and handles better all way round.  

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
10/30/18 10:08 a.m.

They're stupid easy to go fast in. Tons of grip, great steering, a slow-acting viscous LSD and plenty of naturally aspirated power combine for an utterly predictable experience. HR models can be made to put out well over 300 at the wheels with bolt-ons and a tune and the Bose stereo bumps pretty hard and the A/C is icy cold so they aren't bad daily drivers either.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/30/18 11:25 a.m.

I drove a 350Z a number of years ago and I wasn't very impressed. I drove a 370Z a couple of times recently and I thought it was very enjoyable and did not have a lot of weaknesses from the factory. I don't know what the 350Z Nismo is like, but if it has a premium price attached to it, I wonder if it might be worth considering a 370Z.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
10/30/18 5:29 p.m.

When I was looking at 350 and 370Z cars they just didn't pencil out compared to the competition.  At every price point there's a lighter weight Corvette with more horsepower and a better sound.  After my C5 got totaled I ended up in a C6 Z51.  I've been driving it very happily for the last 4 years.  

chief8one
chief8one Reader
10/30/18 7:36 p.m.

I autocrossed a 370z a few years ago.  I felt like I was looking out of a tank.  Nice power though.

Harvey
Harvey SuperDork
10/30/18 10:22 p.m.

They look cool and I like how the regular one drives. Get it!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/31/18 8:54 a.m.

I had an '06 350Z for 3 months before I traded it in. I can't imagine the NISMO version is THAT much better. 

And I'm a Z car fanboy. 

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
10/31/18 9:09 a.m.

The Z has had good autocross years, but this wasn't one of them.  The best results at Nationals for a Z car was in BSP, where one took a 4th place trophy, a little over a second behind a Miata.  The street class cars scored no trophies.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
arhpPIYFiktA0RZI6RTSaOsQOsVaHJjVv8bbIYDYG64FXKpndu2HxoaYMTdGTih0