1 2 3
SilverSilver
SilverSilver New Reader
11/17/14 6:22 p.m.

As I look at my local craigslist for pre '73 cars, i've been noticing that finding a rust free car (Any brand) or at least not extremely rusted is getting harder to find. I live in "the rust belt" so i'm pretty sure rust is everywhere from what i see. But lately i've been checking craigslist from 500+ miles away and i've been finding running cars in decent conditions for cheap (less than 3000). For the price you'd think that it would be a basket case and even though pictures have been know to lie, the rust is extremely minimal.(And it's not like im searching LS6 chevelles or R/T chargers)

I was just wondering that if anyone has actually gone so far and drove the car they bought back? Sure i've heard of people doing it, but has anybody here done it with a car they bought? Have a story to share?

calteg
calteg HalfDork
11/17/14 6:25 p.m.

Longest I've driven was ~1300 miles

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/17/14 6:28 p.m.

I took a boat to get my Porsche.

photo PorscheDay1022.jpg

photo PorscheDay1011.jpg

logdog
logdog Dork
11/17/14 6:33 p.m.

I would rather buy a cheap Southwest airlines ticket to the south than buy a rusty car in Michigan. I have flow out to get a car twice, most recently from Flint to Orlando. Ive also drove my truck and trailer to pick up cars (more times than I can remember). Its always worth it to not have missing rockers and anything an ad says is "typical (insert brand) rust". If its a car I want its never too far.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/17/14 6:42 p.m.

Just completed 1100 miles or so for a 400$ corolla wagon and 200$ set of rims.[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mndsm/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/IMG_20141110_092109_zpsgghwam9k.jpg.html][/URL]

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/17/14 6:42 p.m.

Drove from Ohio to Waco, Texas to pick up a $475, non running, POS 73 Capri, with 23,000 miles. 1157 miles @ way towing.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
11/17/14 6:43 p.m.

Brother and I flew to CO in winter to pick up a 69 911, which now belongs to dyintorace. It was a bit of a basket case when we picked it up. First day and a half was all snow. Partied in NOLA for two days on the way back to Tampa. There's a "reader's rides" pic in the magazine somewhere. Wouldn't trade that trip for anything. Closest I've gotten to living "Fear & Loathing."

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god."

• Bokonon via Vonnegut ;)
mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
11/17/14 6:47 p.m.

I flew from Houston Texas to somewhere in Pennsylvania to buy GPS's 911. I also drove from Houston to Atlanta to buy my RX7. After experiencing the glory that is rust free southern cars (I grew up in Michigan) I will never buy a used car from the north ever again.
And yes, I realize that I bought a car from Pennsylvania which goes against everything I said above. Don't talk logic to me, it's a 911.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/17/14 7:01 p.m.

800 miles. So far.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
11/17/14 7:03 p.m.

Looking at flying 1000 miles to drive back a $750 Saab Wagon.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/17/14 7:05 p.m.

Close to 3000 miles for the old MSM. Flew into San Diego from Indy. Hitched a ride to Oceanside.

Drove home via FM.

Second place was flying to New Hampshire for a 2000 Miata which I immediately turned and burned back to Indy.

That car was purchased by someone in San Antonio who flew in and drove it home.

I love doing this. Will do again.

If the current Miata does get picked up, i'm going to bug Jeremy about his MR-S in Florida and do another fly and drive.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/17/14 7:12 p.m.

1,200 miles for a $500 non-running P71. Yes.

mr2peak
mr2peak HalfDork
11/17/14 7:17 p.m.

Flew from SF to San Diego 2 weeks ago at 5am to pick up a genuine black E30 M-Tech 2 cabby. Got home at 2am the next day, super fun. 100% worth a trip for a good car.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
11/17/14 7:25 p.m.
Woody wrote: I took a boat to get my Porsche.  photo PorscheDay1022.jpg  photo PorscheDay1011.jpg

Looks like the Port Jeff Ferry(maybe Orient Point). I took it to get my 74 RX-4 years ago. I flew to Toronto(Mississauga actually) Ontario in August, and drove from London, Ontario a day later to Massachusetts to get my Delica. By the way that same Delica came from Tokyo via Yokohama,Vancouver, and Toronto before I got it. That's how far I would go.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
11/17/14 7:48 p.m.

Did a fly and drive from NJ to Oklahoma for my 78 Mercury Colony park (nothing like a 1400 mile trip in an $800 car to shake out the bugs)

And more recently fly and drive NJ to Orlando FL for my 03 Maruader

I've stopped letting distance keep me from the right car, the drive home is half the fun. And with inspection services like Jewel or Jalopy (http://www.jewelorjalopy.com/) you can get a car checked out anywhere before you fly out.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
11/17/14 7:55 p.m.

A little over 1000 miles for a S2000. Was it worth it? Probably not. I really liked the car, but I'm sure biding my time a bit I could've grabbed one locally.

A little over 800 for a LeMons car in '09. Hell of a trip. Car ran fine, but pretty much nothing else worked. No radio, intermittent duct-tape rigged heat, malfunctioning tail-lights, resulting encounter with the law, threat to impound the car, speeding ticket, a dead battery (cop had to jump me), trunk that wouldn't latch (cop had to loan me some duct time), etc.

I laugh thinking about it now, but not sure I would put myself in that situation again.

Now? If it isn't very local, I probably won't buy it. Its just not worth the time & energy. Then again, if I were building something more special I would consider it.

If I lived up north? I'd be flying/driving to the south for any/all of my vehicles.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/17/14 7:59 p.m.

500 miles one way for the Rolla, towed it home (ebay purchase, $400). 1800 miles one way for the Esprit (RIP), towed it home (ebay purchase, >>$400). 250 miles for the Elise, drove it home. 250 miles for the RAV4, drove it home (without a 5th gear).

Will
Will SuperDork
11/17/14 8:06 p.m.

I live in Chattanooga, TN.

Flew to Jacksonville, FL for my Supercoupe: 483 miles

Flew to Houston for my CTS-V: 842 miles

Flew to Boston for my 62 T-bird: 1,008 miles

Flew to Topeka, KS for my MR2: 778 miles

Looks as if the 62 is the winner.

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
11/17/14 8:16 p.m.

There is no distance that would limit me if it was exactly what I was looking for, flew into Amarillo Texas this spring to drive a viper home 1600 miles to PA. After that all fly and drives need to have cruise control. Sometimes trailering is worth it.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
11/17/14 8:56 p.m.

Flew from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale to pick up the '91 Accord. I would like to do a fly-in/buy car and drive home deal, but it's hard to get the family interested in such foolish coolness.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/17/14 9:03 p.m.

Forgot the 500 miles one way for the Lotus 74, only 125 miles or so for the Lotus 65. Both trailered, of course. Only 120 miles away for the LS400, but I had to do it twice: once to negotiate, once to pick it up.

I dunno, it just seems like the stuff I'm looking for is odd ball. You just don't find Toyota AE92 GT-S, manual 4WD '96-2000 RAV4's, Lotus, 98-2000 LS400's, etc. at the local buy-here-pay-here. I think that around here, unless you want a F150 or Chevy equivalent, you have to travel for it.

Tmc22
Tmc22 New Reader
11/17/14 9:08 p.m.

I've never done it, but I've always wanted to. It would definitely be a neat experience. I'm sure I share some of the same concerns as you: going all that way just to find out the car is a POS and the pics made it look way better. But I guess if you are looking for something like a project car, that concern is wiped out. My dad drove from Carolina to Missouri for his Spitfire.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
11/17/14 9:23 p.m.

2300 miles - flew to San Francisco to pick up Mrs. Oldtin's 928s. Nice ride home in a car designed to cross continents.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/17/14 9:34 p.m.

SE PA to Jackson, MI and back for my Spitfire. And I drove the Spitfire back home to PA.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Dork
11/17/14 11:53 p.m.

Agassiz bc to flint michigan to pick up the colossal fossil. About 4000 km. what do I win?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9TeUbqYdXdntkXdWlAx03JKZRs9E5TAS2pXummLjbIU5Is3ivhKNHz8KMpvl40lk