1 2 3 4
crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/4/22 10:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

You can get the noise without the carburetor if you run a fairly open intake. There's really nothing special about a throttle butterfly.

Oh there is with 6 throats sucking on a set of triples compared to a pair of SUs on the same motor. It's the best thing I did on that car by far.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/4/22 10:35 p.m.

Oy, let's see if I get them all.

1- tiller
1- string trimmer
3 on chainsaws
1- lawnmower
1- garden tractor
1- LeMans
2 on I/O boats
3 on a Merc 70
1 on an Evinrude 6
1 on a Merc 3.5
1 on a pressure washer
2 on generators
1- spare 2-jet for parts
1- spare carb for a Stihl saw
1- honda fourtrax
2 on a Kawasaki Vulcan
Not sure how many parts I have for a Qjet, but I know I have 4 complete bodies.  Let's say I could probably make two complete units from the drawer-o-rochester parts.

Looks like 25-ish?

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/4/22 10:40 p.m.

All of you saying you want to get rid of all of your carbs, PM me for an address to send them.

I'm a huge fan of old-school tech.  I have never had a single MAP sensor, injector, 02 sensor, EGR flow sensor, or MAF sensor go bad on any carbureted car I've owned.

3/4/22 10:41 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

More than I'd prefer winkLet's see, the Mini, the Land Rover and two Cadilliacs. Of those, two haven't run in a few years so they'll probably need a bloody rebuild.

I have two cars that are 37 years old and have fuel injection, there's no excuse :)

I would prefer all my stuff to be fuel injected except the Datsun. That's the only thing I like the induction sound more than the exhaust. BUT I like old things and old things have carburetors. If there was a cheap and easy kit for everything else to be EFI I would be on it.

That being said i don't really have issues with any of my carbs once I go through them and the DCOEs in the Datsun sit a year or longer between usage. I think the anxiety of having all those jets to clog and needles get sticky is worse than what I actually have to deal with.

Have you ever dealt with clogged injectors from sitting?

Go buy yourself a k jet car from the 70's that's been sitting for five years, get it running,  then come back to your Webers...

I wouldn't need to come back to my webers because as I said that's the one vehicle i wouldn't change to fuel injection. I haven't had to deal with injector issues ever and after going through carbs and setting them up, never have issues with them as well.  No ethanol in our fuel here and I always run a little stabil in everything in case it happens to sit for a while. 

Have you ever had to "tickle" Amal carburetors on an old Triumph bike? The starting procedure each time involves spilling gas and getting it on your hands per the manual. Stuff like that is sort of charming and also a pain in the ass.  

No Time
No Time SuperDork
3/4/22 10:53 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to No Time :

I think that's what I have on one of the Cadillacs. Might have to confirm. I don't recall it making a specifically unusual noise but it also had a big hole in the header at the time.

Flip the lid, man.

Not what I was looking for when searching for a video of Qjet sound, but thought it was pretty cool:

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/4/22 10:58 p.m.

Just got done with a considerable downsizing, particularly on the motorcycle front, so gladly I'm down to 3. A pair of dual-throat Mikuni BSW27s on my GSXR250, and a single Keihin flat-slide FCR39 on my Suzuki Goose 350. Part of the reason I bought that specific GSXR is that it is an inline four with two carbs; I'm tired if rebuilding and syncing four carbs on four cylinder carbed bikes. I'm sure the twin dual throats give up a little precision and power compared to four individual carbs, but I'm fine with that.

I love the ease of EFI, but I also love late-80's/90's motorcycles, so...kinda at odds here, at least until I run out of other projects and dig into the pair of Microsquirts I have on the shelf. laugh

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
3/4/22 11:19 p.m.

So most are on the lawn and garden equipment: 2 chainsaws,1 leaf blower,1 lawn tractor, 1 lawn mower,3 generators ,1 snowblower 

Marine division: 2 small outboard motors (3 hp and 6 hp Johnson’s) and (finally ) a Quadrajet on the 350 / 260 hp Mercruiser in the 1988 Cruisers Inc. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
3/5/22 12:21 a.m.

Datsun 4 (Keihin flat slides)

F500 10 total (2 AMW engines + 4 Rotax motors)

Beta 520RS 1

1980 RM125 1

1962 Honda 90 1

Lawnmower 1

Generator 1 

19 Total ( 22 if you count carbs off motors).

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
3/5/22 12:33 a.m.

I own more carbs not on an engine then on one.  Does that count?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/5/22 12:34 a.m.

I've owned cars for 30 years now, none of them has had a carburetor. :)

I've got one on my HF Predator generator, and at one point I owned a "nitro" RC car with a teeny carburetor.  That's it.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/5/22 4:55 a.m.

20. Mostly SU

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/5/22 7:28 a.m.

Oh, let's see.

• F500 4- 2 on car, two parts cores
  • Bugeye - 6 - 2 on car, 2 spare hs2 1 set hs1
  • Lawn tractors 2
  • Push mowers 3
  • Weed Wackers 2
  • Mopeds 2
  • Pressure washer 1
  • Go kart 3 - one on kart, one spare engine, one old carb from now spare engine
  •  

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
3/5/22 7:47 a.m.

I got one on my minibike and 1 on the power washer....   so, 2.

I now have an electric lawnmower and string trimmer.  I'm never going back!

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/5/22 9:15 a.m.

The Abomination has a Dellorto DLHA 48 on it. 

The Shamrock has a Holly 4160. 

The mower.

2 mini bikes and a go-kart. 

SanFord has a Holly 2 barrel.

The Yamaha 85hp outboard has 3. The Jet boat has one. 

I have 3 Honda 2000eu inverter generators for the company.

1 Predator 3500w inverter generator for the motorhome.

1 Makita demolition saw.

The Easy Rider has one on the original engine and another on the new engine. 

So 18, not counting any of the carbs sitting on shelves. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
3/5/22 9:26 a.m.

I'm at 5 currently. 

2 at home:

• Mower, carb-ed Honda GCV190 engine
  • Snowblower, carb-ed Briggs 420cc

And 3 on the boat:

• 2x 454s with Quadrajets
  • Onan generator with some single barrel carb that I'm pretty sure is made by Nikki (whatever it is, it's the most reliable carb I've ever been near, let alone touched)
TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/5/22 10:26 a.m.

Zero, and it is going to stay that way unless I win the lottery. Then 3 Webers on a Stratos. Never more than that.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/5/22 10:51 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

The Chevy II was to have been a carbed engine, but now has a Holley Sniper EFI sitting on top of it.

build thread?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/5/22 10:56 a.m.

1 on generator (Briggs & Stratton)

1 on lawnmower (Honda)

1 on edger (Tecumseh)

1 on snow thrower (Honda)

haven't had a car with a carb since 2005

3/5/22 11:10 a.m.
jimbbski said:

I own more carbs not on an engine then on one.  Does that count?

Well I was looking for "how many carbs in use" I guess. A carb in use is a carb that may need maintenance thus increasing the anxiety factor of dealing with them.

For those of us with 10 plus, do you feel like you're always adjusting or rebuilding them? At 19, I still really don't feel like I am messing with them much at all.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
3/5/22 11:57 a.m.

Just prior to my move I had:

Lamborghini - 6 Webers (extra points for dual throat?)

MGC - 3 SU (custom, not stock)

MGA race car - 2 45 DCOE

Jensen CV8 - triple 2 bbl (Chrysler sixpack)

Jensen Interceptor - 1 4bbl

MGA Coupe - 2 SU

So 16 carbs, 35 throats to feed.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
3/5/22 12:48 p.m.

Anything that gets used regularly just keeps working. Anything that sits needs to be fiddled with. I've taken to running engineered fuels through anything small that sits for most of the time. That solved 99% of my carb issues.  

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
3/5/22 12:52 p.m.

3 on 2 boats

1 lawn mower

1 blower

1 chainsaw

all 4 cars have efi.

Berck
Berck Reader
3/5/22 2:09 p.m.

I have 6 carburetors just for a CB350 that only requires 2, and it still doesn't run right because I had to try to make it better.  But those are simple.  It's the ones from the '80s that are the worst.

Here's an FJ60 carb that ran fine for a year after the rebuild, then not so much:

Mark L (Forum Supporter)
Mark L (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/5/22 5:03 p.m.

JD Lawn tractor  1

1972 Gravely  Tractor 1

2 Generators 2

weed wacker 1 

polaris jet ski 1

kawasaki jet ski  3

Boat with 350 chevy 1

Honda GL500 motorcycle 2

Honda Scooter 1

4 units are 2 stroke.

3/5/22 5:18 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Anything that gets used regularly just keeps working. Anything that sits needs to be fiddled with. I've taken to running engineered fuels through anything small that sits for most of the time. That solved 99% of my carb issues.  

I think it's the fuel and shutdown procedure for long term storage stuff. Stabil, no ethanol, and leaving the bowls full storing it "wet" with the needle seated have given me no issues with 7+ years of super sporadic use on my 240z.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wRy02nKHNyxJiRSp0OTCrVROWrFgV7E1MFbW3F4mF7UcY9MWQdO9VMAQRwIYX27C