1 2 3
Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
7/31/17 2:59 p.m.

As the question is asked. We joke around about this a lot, but is there any seriousness to it? I myself can't speak on the issue considering my beautiful wife understands my car obsession and actually feeds it sometimes.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
7/31/17 3:11 p.m.

Not yet, but not the lack of trying.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
7/31/17 3:15 p.m.

I was once told "It's me or the Mustang."

I still have the Mustang.

To be fair, my purchasing a midlife crisis car at the age of 27 was the beginning of the end for that trainwreck of a marriage anyways.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/31/17 3:16 p.m.

When we met, I had a Lotus TCS cylinder head on the kitchen table. She knew what she was getting into.

We went to buy a Europa in Chicago. One of the guys we bought it from, twin Chineese guys, asked Dr.Linda: "You put up with this? I lose 2 wives from this."

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/31/17 3:17 p.m.

One of mine was the result of a Mercedes-Benz...her new boyfriend's. Not mine

My response? Buy myself a 911

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/31/17 3:19 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I was once told "It's me or the Mustang." I still have the Mustang. To be fair, my purchasing a midlife crisis car at the age of 27 was the beginning of the end for that trainwreck of a marriage anyways.

I think you made the right choice there. It is sad, but when you get hit with that one, you will eventually either end up with your car and no SO or with neither car nor SO. So, choose.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
7/31/17 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

Yin and Yang? Oh they were Siamese twins

Slippery
Slippery SuperDork
7/31/17 3:23 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: When we met, I had a Lotus TCS cylinder head on the kitchen table.

I had a 3S-GTE from my Celica All-Trac in my bedroom. It was neatly parked on a clean engine stand though

I dont think she noticed it

Blaise
Blaise Reader
7/31/17 3:24 p.m.

Not married, but gf of 5+ years is totally onboard. She even suggested I test drive a Cayman GTS a local dealer had one day. Now THAT was a mistake, but a different kind.

I've had a girl before tell me 'you probably shouldn't ride motorcycles, they're dangerous.'

Sorry - they were here before you, and they'll be here after you. That was it.

Current gf. Has her own NA. I win.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/31/17 3:26 p.m.

No divorce but no marriage.

At the age of 27 I had been dating the same girl about 3 years. I had some money saved. I bought a Miata. She would have rather I bought a ring. Six months later I saw the light and we broke up. Twenty three years later, I still have the Miata.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
7/31/17 3:30 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: I was once told "It's me or the Mustang." I still have the Mustang. To be fair, my purchasing a midlife crisis car at the age of 27 was the beginning of the end for that trainwreck of a marriage anyways.
I think you made the right choice there. It is sad, but when you get hit with that one, you will eventually either end up with your car and no SO or with neither car nor SO. So, choose.

That's where I land on the subject too. My wife knew full well what she was getting into after the third or fourth car in need of extensive work passed through my hands. That said, she does reign me in sometimes when I make the announcement that I'm going to do something really out there. Of course last night I used the line that at least I wasn't rebuilding a motors on the coffee table anymore. She quickly pointed out it's because we don't have a coffee table anymore. So I guess she won that one on a technicality.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
7/31/17 3:34 p.m.

My wife knows if i have to chose it will be the cars. Ive sold projects because the money was needed more at the time but never because she said i needed too. Shes known me since i was 14, she really knew what she was getting into.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/31/17 3:35 p.m.

No... the ex- has nearly as many cars in her fleet as I do (she currently has 5 and isn't afraid of getting her hands dirty working on them).

It was the fact that cars are the ONLY thing we have in common did us in.

HonestSpeedShop
HonestSpeedShop New Reader
7/31/17 3:40 p.m.

When me and my girlfriend of 4 years met i had damn near 11 cars in various condition. 35 cars later and going strong.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/31/17 3:40 p.m.

My wife told me to turbocharge a car that doesn't work and knows how long it will sit in our garage not running.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/31/17 3:44 p.m.

Cars were a reasonable excuse. The fact that we had nothing in common was the real source.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/31/17 4:01 p.m.

It's never the cars. There are other issues that manifest through cars, but it's never the cars themselves.

In my case, my wife basically made me buy a Miata because she could see how much it was killing me to drive an appliance.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
7/31/17 5:25 p.m.

For our first date, I took my wife to an auto-X.

That was 49 years ago!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/31/17 5:28 p.m.

And it is a nice Mustang. Didn't try to kill me or nothin!

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
7/31/17 5:35 p.m.
Hal wrote: For our first date, I took my wife to an auto-X. That was 49 years ago!

Cute couple! My wife is tolerant. Cars aren't her thing, but we recognize to make time and resources for our diverse interests.

Being a good sport, she registered for an autocross with me 15 years ago. I was shagging cones when the ladies group was going and she spun my MR2 Turbo in glorious fashion and it wouldn't restart right away. I had to go help her get it going and as I approached the car expecting the worst, she was cracking up with laughter.

Regardless of the 'things' involved, relationships are a compromise and either work or don't.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
7/31/17 5:37 p.m.

The wife was well aware of my obsessions when we got together. I don't buy a lot of cars (as GRM standards), so it's never been an issue. She knows whatever I buy is a good investment or a toy I want.

heck, she's the one that encouraged be to boost my S13. So I blame her for the blown motor

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/31/17 6:39 p.m.

Nearly.

Or should I say, not yet...

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
7/31/17 7:07 p.m.

I met my wife because my brother asked her to have her dad (Ford parts guy) get three 5.0 badges and two Ford ovals for my first Fairmont. My brother wasn't there to receive them when they came in, so she had to give them to me. I thought she was pretty sharp. She's been pushing me pretty hard lately, making sure that the latest Fairmont has it's powerplant squared away for next weekends big local autocross, then the track weekend two weeks after that. I think I picked a winner. :)

ORIF
ORIF New Reader
7/31/17 7:30 p.m.

Sold my 1985 Honda 500 Interceptor to buy her engagement ring. Worked that into a Ducati 907ie 3 years later. ; ) In 2000, she was pregnant with our third child and sent me to the Honda dealer to purchase a minivan.

Came home with an S2000 instead. : )

Despite that, she still didn't divorce me though I had to show her research supporting airbags were not dangerous to a properly positioned car seat.

We are going to celebrate our 25th Anniversary in 2 months, and still have the S2000 as well... and a newer Duc.

Lucky man!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/31/17 7:34 p.m.
dropstep wrote: My wife knows if i have to chose it will be the cars. Ive sold projects because the money was needed more at the time but never because she said i needed too. Shes known me since i was 14, she really knew what she was getting into.

Change the age to 16, and we have the same statement.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0TbMmHL5Vm80z0rSV2pbDTnPp0TpQBXNXWnneBy0ilDC9WveBCLsmaR1c1DA9kuv