1 2
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/3/22 12:11 p.m.

The first flag is that the trunk tag says XJ Sport, not XJR, which could be explained with a junkyard boot lid replacement.  The second red flag is... look at the valve covers.  Looks like someone took a gold sharpie and drew "Jaguar" on it.  I'm also wondering why he dropped the price after hitting a deer, but it seems like he's fixing it.

Talk me out of it:  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/469416741855592

screenshot of only contact

JShaawbaru
JShaawbaru Reader
10/3/22 12:24 p.m.

It's definitely an actual XJR, or has all/most of the important parts that make it one.

XJR on steering wheel airbag, XJR wheels, SUPERCHARGED on the intake (I think those are some kind of cooler, maybe?) and below the tach needle, and I can see the supercharger poking out from underneath, the pulley is near the passenger side cooling fan.

Normal valve covers just have a silver sticker on them, which are old enough to have peeled off by now, I know mine was missing a letter on the driver side. So someone probably got a little creative without high standards for accuracy.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/3/22 12:55 p.m.

My only interaction with one of these was years ago, pulling up alongside a yellow one while I was driving Midlana. I glanced over and saw that it was driven by a very attractive woman, which kinda fit because we were on a street that led to a very high income area of town. Ahead, the street narrowed from two lanes to one, so I assumed I'd get ahead no problem. Well, I did, but she apparently had the same idea, so it was a bit closer of a sprint than expected. Point being, yeah, they're pretty quick cars.

10/3/22 1:45 p.m.

In reply to JShaawbaru :

I agree that it's a real XJR.  From what I understand, converting a non-R to the supercharged engine is about the farthest thing from plug-n-play, so I highly doubt that someone cloned it.

10/3/22 1:49 p.m.

I'm more concerned about why he's fixing stuff if he's just unloading it after a deer impact.  Is he just overly honest?  I mean, I guess he only had liability coverage, otherwise he would have let insurance fix it and sell it for a higher price.  I'm a little weirded out by him saying he was going to maybe replace the transmission.  Those are a Benz trans that is not cheap, so it makes me wonder why he feels the need to replace it.

Don't get me wrong... if he replaces the trans because it's toast, it's a good deal... perhaps too good?  I've been shopping for and researching these for three years now.  I smell something funny.  Just bouncing it off you guys to see if you smell it too.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/3/22 1:49 p.m.

You might want to post over here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/

Of course, being a "Church of Jag", it's unlikely that they'll try talking you out of it, but can very likely help confirm whether it's authentic.

10/3/22 2:17 p.m.

Not concerned with authentic.  The VIN will tell me that.

jagforums hasn't been very helpful over the years.  It seems like its full of either guys like me (scraping the bottom of the barrel) or snobs.  The one time I posted a jag I was looking at, another member used it as an excuse to beat me to it.

iansane
iansane Dork
10/3/22 2:23 p.m.
kb58 said:

You might want to post over here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/

Of course, being a "Church of Jag", it's unlikely that they'll try talking you out of it, but can very likely help confirm whether it's authentic.

Man, that place is just chock full of 'Why would you modify a jag, they're perfect' mentalities...

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
10/3/22 2:59 p.m.

I agree that his statement of replacing the transmission while they're in there is concerning.

1. Why replace the trans?

2. Who is they?

3. Why is they in there?

4. What is they doing in there?

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/3/22 3:06 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Whats your budget? I'm getting tired of mine and now its sitting outside. It'll need some work though.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/3/22 3:40 p.m.

Engine looks to have had a lipstick rebuild. There is paint over a sticker in front of the lovely hand lettering.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/3/22 4:37 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

Haha, that would include me with my... our, F-Type R. The only "modification" I'd like to make is to disable that rear wing that pops up, ruining its otherwise elegant lines. The wife had forbid modifications, so there's also that.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/3/22 4:37 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

... The one time I posted a jag I was looking at, another member used it as an excuse to beat me to it.

Yeah that crossed my mind but it's easily avoided by just posting screenshots of the car, not a link to the ad.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
10/3/22 5:25 p.m.

2 words - "deer impact"

other words - has he really fixed it or hidden it?

Don't be the deer in the skewed headlights, run for the forest

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/3/22 5:50 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

I get a different feel.  My guess is an older guy that's always taken care of things.  Maybe not so much that valve cover but the type that wants to send it on in the best condition possible.  Just a WAG and it's worth what you paid for it.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
10/3/22 6:17 p.m.

I guess "Older" is a possibility, depending on who you are comparing him to.

But I will say he's had an awful lot of Jags for sale over the last year or so-

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/3/22 6:48 p.m.

My take is the seller bought the car after the deer strike. The car came with receipts and he restated those receipts in the listing but they are not work that happened during his ownership. 

Is the car a salvage or rebuilt title? Who's name is on the receipts? 

EDIT: maybe not.  I see that most the pictures are from "before" the accident so he likely owned the car before accident too.  He has done a nice job of "artfully" avoided showing what the passenger front fender looks like since the accident or if the is damage to the passenger door.    

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
10/3/22 6:51 p.m.

I feel pretty uncomfortable between the painted "JaGUar" and the deer damage. I guess it's a good deal but aren't these like older BMW M cars? I remember somebody telling me that every M3 is at least a $15k car. You either pay that much for it, or you put that much into it. I think of an XJR the same way. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/3/22 7:16 p.m.

Yes, he's sold some Jags:  (picture from other listings)

In this listing photo the Jag is on a lift so my guess is he's a mechanic by day.

Uncle David (Forum Supporter)
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/3/22 7:56 p.m.

A few things:

- Even if the trunk lid was replaced, the panel gaps and color match look fine. Same statement for the rest of the car too.

- The floormats have much less wear than the seats. Maybe the P.O. was like my father, who always kept the factory floormats covered with other mats, maybe they're replacements, or maybe this doesn't matter at all.

- Passenger seat has about the same wear as the driver's seat.

- Would you want him to fix it, or buy it as is and have it fixed to your standard?

- Is your schedule light enough that an in-person inspection is worth it for something that that you're on the fence about? Always present your lowballs in person and with your hands full of cabbage.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
10/3/22 8:27 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to L5wolvesf :

I get a different feel.  My guess is an older guy that's always taken care of things.  Maybe not so much that valve cover but the type that wants to send it on in the best condition possible.  Just a WAG and it's worth what you paid for it.

IMO on FB it is all a WAG, like a box of chocolates or a trip to the wrecking yard.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/3/22 8:42 p.m.

You asked about timing chains guides, and he answered something about the transmission. 

Does he understand that the timing chain guides are not in the transmission?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/3/22 8:49 p.m.

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
10/3/22 9:30 p.m.

uh me thinks not after seeing the latest paramour .......play it easy and make sure she get's no poison ivy at the 'farm' 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/3/22 9:43 p.m.

A supposed Aston Martin ad for their used cars has the caption "You know you're not the first, but do you really care?" It's in regards to a picture of a scantly-clad young lady and it's probably questionable posting it here, so I won't.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m0YJwkPv3BqBFAxmZzD3pnyJtgQUOC0UzOqM5D2GEALQgaD0ICz24jy6WZNoYiff