1 2
Lof8
Lof8 Dork
9/11/18 12:18 p.m.

I found myself at the local transmission shop today picking up and paying for a fresh T-56 rebuild.  It got me thinking - I have done this many times before.  I suppose my affinity for older, cheap, and worn vehicles has certainly contributed to the situation, but I just got the feeling I've done this a lot more times than a normal person.  I'm at 9  :(

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
9/11/18 12:29 p.m.

4, which should have only been 2, but the rebuilds weren't done properly and needed re rebuilt within 500 miles. 

A 94 F150, and a 97ish Chevy 2500. Swapped in s gravel driveway on jack stands, because that's clearly the easiest, least painful method of changing transmissions on 4x4s. 

The 94 F150 was also my first time getting to help work on a vehicle, I think I was 10. I guess a little more context would help, my neighbor at the time was a Ford mechanic and helped us out when the trans went out on my dad's truck. 

The Chevy I got to play transmission jack, I was 13 or 14, and the only person able to fit under the truck with the transmission to get it in place while it got bolted in. 

I should have done several more, but it was cheaper to buy another vehicle than get the trans rebuilt or replaced.

jharry3
jharry3 Reader
9/11/18 12:46 p.m.

I did two.

Both for the same  '66 Mustang.

One a 3 speed that only needed synchros, and one a 4-speed Toploader that needed a few gears, bearings, needle bearings, synchros, thrush washer. 

Teaches patience and the wisdom of following instructions.  I was 16 for the three speed and 18 for the 4 speed and this was in the '70's.

I took apart the 6 cylinder 3-speed mustang, got all the good parts off a wrecked mustang with a V-8, built an engine in shop class using high school graduation present money, my dad found the beat up 4 speed in a junk yard, and away I went.    

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/11/18 12:56 p.m.

Ummm.... 8. 3 bad rebuilds from Movarus on dad's 03 counted for more than they should have. But hey, I can knock that one out in an hour in and an hour out on my garage floor now. One on my cop car in 94. Dad's cop car in 95 and 99 (190k in between). My 93 C1500 5-spd and the trans in my C10. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/11/18 1:10 p.m.

One. Old T5 in my s10 that quit shifting.

After that, I build my own.

P3PPY
P3PPY New Reader
9/11/18 1:30 p.m.

Two. 90 Bonneville and 86 Fifth Ave. Neither were the same afterward and the Pontiac's only lasted maybe year, I wouldn't do it again. I would get reman or used (or new if I was lavishly wealthy, of course)

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
9/11/18 1:48 p.m.

I do all of mine myself, Im up to 10 or so.

4 47REs from 4 different trucks

3 T850s

1 TR6060

2 NV5500

EDIT: have done tons of neon/focus clutch packs and various valve bodies. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/11/18 1:54 p.m.

1.  TH350 in my 72 Monte took a dump at 142k.  got it rebuilt plus shift kit.

2.  Replacement for that TH350 at 213k when I berkeleyed it up by bolting converter to flexplate on my freshly built 383, then forcing the trans to bolt up.*

*this also led to my first guitar sales experience, when i had to offload my American Standard Stratocaster to pay for the trans. 

3.  5th gear synchro in my '95 integra GSR took a E36 M3 under warranty.

4.  AT in '03 Ody replaced under NHTSA recall when the van had 44k miles on it.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/11/18 1:54 p.m.

Anyone have a source for instructions on rebuilding a T45? 

Been making some noise in 2nd and would be nice to know whats involved...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/11/18 3:00 p.m.

Interesting thread. I had one rebuilt in my first car, a 1982 Corolla automatic. Dad gave me enough money for graduation to get it done after it lost reverse and then started sticking in first. Ran pretty well after, but would occasionally free-wheel when running in third. Like you pushed in the clutch without letting off the gas, but it was an auto.

EDIT: also - since you guys are posting, how about including how well it worked out? I've always heard that 50% of rebuilds fail but I don't know if that's accurate.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
9/11/18 3:11 p.m.

A buddy and I tried our hand at rebuilding a T-5 when we were 18 and knew all about cars. That CJ7 is still dormant behind his parents place (which is actually just around the corner from where I live now) and he moved out of state.

Had a local shop rebuild a 727 for me, then I parted out the vehicle and the trans made it's way into a drag car. Didn't last long.

So.... 2.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
9/11/18 3:34 p.m.

Only 2, a Honda I did myself to replace a bad bearing and whatnot, and a Mazda that had a bad bearing and was replaced with a lower mile JY unit as it was cheaper than the rebuild parts

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
9/11/18 3:37 p.m.

How much does it usually cost? The 4R100 in my Ex with 190k on it will need it at some point especially if I start towing heavier

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/11/18 3:38 p.m.

2 4L60Es. The first one died 13 months after the 12 month warranty rebuild. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/11/18 3:40 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

1.  TH350 in my 72 Monte took a dump at 142k.  got it rebuilt plus shift kit.

When I hear this song I don’t hear that “my ship isn’t coming” - what I hear is “my shift kit is coming” referring to my buddies jacked up 1978 K5 Blazer that had an awful automatic tranny and he was always planning on ordering one.

Yeah, there’s a lot in my head rolling around after 56 years.   

RUSH - Fly by Night

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
9/11/18 3:47 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 :

What do you consider rebuilding?  I’ve done a lot of gear swaps on racing transmissions with quick change gear sets.  

Basically you take the back off, slide the gears out, put in the gears you want and bolt on the back again.  It’s about a half hour job at the race track and a 20-15 minute job at the shop. 

I’ve only done a few street gearboxes and a couple of automatics.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/11/18 4:06 p.m.

I think the general concensus here is car doesn't move, transmission broken, fix type of rebuild. 

I don't think swapping gears at the track qualifys. But is totally awesome,  in and of itself. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
9/11/18 4:29 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

I have never had one of mine fail again. 

grover
grover HalfDork
9/11/18 4:49 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

3 T850s

1 TR6060

2 NV5500

So, where did you learn how to do this mystical art? 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/11/18 4:55 p.m.

1 3-speed eccentric gear transmission from a Duesenberg

3 1930s Detroit Gear transmissions from 8 and 12 cylinder auburns.

1 Super T10 from a Trans-Am

1 T10 from a Corvette

A couple T-5s here and there.

A Mazda 5-speed from an F-150.

That's about it but I do this stuff for a living.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
9/11/18 5:47 p.m.

Two.  Both from SAAB 99s.  Which means my experiences cannot be of any use to anyone else.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/11/18 6:19 p.m.

4.  I did two of them and of those two one worked when i was done.  

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
9/11/18 6:52 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I guess the scenario I’m talking about is a transmission that’s gone bad and the car is not properly functional until you take some action. And just to clarify, I have not actually rebuilt any of my own. Always paid the experts. Seems like magic to me, especially the automatics. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/11/18 7:05 p.m.
grover said:
Professor_Brap said:

3 T850s

1 TR6060

2 NV5500

So, where did you learn how to do this mystical art? 

And are you available to hire?

rdcyclist
rdcyclist New Reader
9/11/18 10:02 p.m.

Lessee, I can join this measurement of ...

Four Morris Minor/Austin Healey Sprite units when I was about 16. 46 years ago. That was when I discovered that transmission work is not some kind of black magic; just nuts and bolts and paying attention to where E36 M3 goes.

A Muncie four-speed, The Rock Crusher, for a friend in High School. I didn't know they were called that and thought I'd fouled it up. Found out "They all sound like that".

Five Datsun 2000 Roadster trannys. Two were mine and three were friends. Definitely a step up from the A series BMC units in both quality and complexity.

I suppose changing gearsets in Hewlands doesn't count, although it could be argued the car wasn't going to go around Laguna Seca properly with the Sears Point gearing and vice-versa...

Then we start on Automatics:

A 700R4 out of an S10 Blazer. That was a blast. The worst part was getting in and out of the vehicle. 4wd raised the bar again.

A coupla Audi 5000 three speeds. I have no idea how Audi survived selling cars with those pieces of E36 M3. Unintended acceleration had nothing on  them.

That was the last of the automatics for me.

A Audi 200 20v 5 speed. This one raised the bar again. First trans I ever saw with a syncro'd reverse.

Getting ready to do an Audi S4 six speed. Should be interesting...

That's all I can remember. I'm sure I missed one or two: I have a good memory; it's just short...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BvkLE4yvJgyV0Hvax1HY09H9GkKUvQtVsF276M9o4gbBYcperOeiutmYvFPCkuVc