1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/22/21 11:50 a.m.
feature_image

What are you paying these days to get a set of tires mounted and balanced? Or are you doing it at home? For those doing it at home, is it worth it? 

Read the rest of the story

moxnix
moxnix Dork
6/22/21 12:02 p.m.

Doing it at home.   Yes it is worth it.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/22/21 12:03 p.m.

I pay $Free.99, but I have an unfair advantage, because I'm a mechanic and can use my shop's tire machine.

APEowner
APEowner SuperDork
6/22/21 12:06 p.m.

It depends on where I buy my tires.  If I get them through the local Discount Tire then they're mounted for free.  If I buy used or from tire rack then I pay $20.00/tire.

I've thought about getting my own equipment but so far I haven't thought it was worth it.  I don't have a lot of shop space, even at $20/tire you can mount and ballance a lot of tires before you cover the cost of the equipment and I really don't enjoy mounting and balancing tires.

dps214
dps214 Dork
6/22/21 12:11 p.m.

DIY, using work's equipment. The downside is the stuff is at a second location that I almost never work at and is out in the middle of nowhere. So my cost is ~$10 of fuel and 1.5hrs of my time to drive there and back. Still generally worth it but it's annoying; I will occasionally pay to get a set mounted locally if I'm in a hurry and don't have a day to burn on it. If I had space at home and a better compressor I'd be at least seriously considering buying my own equipment.

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
6/22/21 12:14 p.m.

Doing it at home. Definitely worth it. 

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
6/22/21 12:16 p.m.

$60 for 4 and I give the guy a $20 tip, so $80 total. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/22/21 12:18 p.m.

My most recent order from Tire Rack cost me $120 for mounting. That didn't include disposal, I kept the old tires. 

I can't say what is reasonable, small businesses have to charge enough to stay in business and provide a reasonable income for the employees and the owner.

Still, that's a lot to add to a set of tires. Two years ago I paid $80 at the same place. 

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
6/22/21 12:29 p.m.

A shop I use on occasion for oil changes on the Suburban and repairs that I can't do charges $25 a tire.  A small tire shop in the county charges $15 per.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/22/21 12:50 p.m.

A shop I use charges $20 per tire, not including disposal.  That adds an extra $7 so i just collect them until i make a dump run. 

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/22/21 1:00 p.m.

I was paying between $20-25 per tire, a used tire machine quickly paid for itself. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
6/22/21 1:07 p.m.

Got them mounted for free, all I had to do was also buy rims from TR...

On a more serious note, it does look the going rate is fairly close to $20/tire, at least at places that don't turn the rim into a scratch&dent version of its former self. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
6/22/21 1:24 p.m.

I'm paying between $60-$80 for a set. I only but one or two sets a year. At that rate it would take 10-12 years to pay for the equipment. Mounting and balancing tires is a job I'd rather someone else did anyway.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/22/21 1:51 p.m.

My friend owns a shop so I can mount and balance tires when ever I want.   I help him on weekends and weld things for him as he does not weld. 

Tires with stiff or low sidewalls or rims that don't have the depression in them to facilitate easier mounting of the low profile tires I usually have done at my local shop that services my Merc. They usually only charge my $10/ tire but I bring than all my DD car repairs. I very rarely work on my DD cars. Toys and race cars are the only things I turn wrenches on. 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
6/22/21 1:59 p.m.

$20.00 each for car tires.

$0.00 for kart tires. I mount them with the track's Turbo Tire Changer. If I'm not at my home track, the going rate is $20 for a set.

New York Nick
New York Nick Reader
6/22/21 2:09 p.m.

I have a friend that will do it for $10 cash, real shops I am at $20 a tire. I bought 4 tires from Tire rack yesterday, I was trying to do a tire and wheel package, that included FREE mounting and balancing. The wheels I wanted weren't in stock for a few more weeks and I needed them sooner so I had to forgo the free mounting and buy the wheels elsewhere, same wheel price but it will cost me $80 to get them mounted.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/22/21 2:10 p.m.

I bother a buddy who is a manager at a local shop.  Depending on if corporate is watching the stores closely for whatever reason, I drop them off with him either at his place or at the shop itself.  Leave it with him till I get a call, go pick 'em up.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/22/21 2:17 p.m.

The shop I use charges $25 a wheel and $3 per tire for disposal.  I've looked around and haven't found anything cheaper in metro Atlanta.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/22/21 2:53 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

and $3 per tire for disposal.

My bad dad joke that causes them to freak is;

$3 each?  Put them in my trunk.  There's a creek by my house I'll toss them into.  

It's even funnier when buying car battery's.   

beatus
beatus New Reader
6/22/21 3:03 p.m.

$50. Local shop has special pricing for racers to "give back to the racing community". They do all of my alignments and some other work on occasion as a result.

LapDog
LapDog New Reader
6/22/21 3:56 p.m.

I asked at Costco for a friend who was ordering tires from Tire Rack.  They said $15 each.  I don't remember if that included disposal but I don't think so.  

Brian(formerly neon4891)
Brian(formerly neon4891) MegaDork
6/22/21 4:12 p.m.

Local shop is $15 each, or $10 cash.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/22/21 4:14 p.m.

My son was just quoted $12/tire for mounting and balancing at one of the local tire rack installers. 

I don't know if their pricing is different since he's bringing in bare wheels that he had removed tires from before painting. 

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
6/22/21 4:21 p.m.

10 to 15 each, cash. depends who is working that day

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
6/22/21 5:00 p.m.

The dealer I work at charges $20 per wheel to mount and balance.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3bdLSxvHQax5dyl3i0eDm6XpgTOXJf4sh3H8cLy1uWmmhoSpZjWN0FrmsPLuecIM