1 2 3 4
AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/19/20 7:10 a.m.

Porsche 986 Boxsters take 9 quarts of synthetic. I buy Rotella T6, filters, and crush washers in bulk and it's still about $60 per car DIY. Well over $100 at a shop when I checked the receipts in a car I bought.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/19/20 7:45 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

Labor rates have gone up.  Also, a lot of those $19.99 jobs were loss leaders, meant to get you into the shop so they could aggressively try to upsell you on a whole  bunch of other things you don't want.

$19.99 is cheaper than the oil and filter cost.

A "true cost" oil change service would be about $150-200 parts and labor.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/19/20 8:32 a.m.

And if you don't have a truck, there is always the possibility of a nasty accident.

Dial up, our GRM'r who ended up with oil all over the interior of his Corvette.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
6/19/20 8:33 a.m.

I’ve never taken a car in for an oil change and had no idea what it costs, so I looked it up locally and found only one, the cheapest I assume, advertising a price. Basic oil and filter $19.99. That’s what it costs me to do my own synthetic oil change. 5L of Supertech on sale for $14.97 (I stock up) and under $5 for a decent oil filter from Rock auto by the case. 

When I bought my most recent car the dealer told me if I had my oil changed by them they offered a lifetime warranty on the engine. I don’t know what that covers or what it costs but it doesn’t matter because they’re too far away for it to make sense

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
6/19/20 8:40 a.m.

Basic oil change where I work is $66.47  Includes vacuum and car wash.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
6/19/20 8:46 a.m.

I don't remember the last time I paid some else to do it, if I ever have.  I just bought 20k service kits for both of our TDi's online, it was $220 for 2 oil filters, 2 fuel filters, 2 cabin filters and 13 quarts of synthetic oil. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/19/20 9:38 a.m.
Peabody said:

I’ve never taken a car in for an oil change and had no idea what it costs, so I looked it up locally and found only one, the cheapest I assume, advertising a price. Basic oil and filter $19.99. That’s what it costs me to do my own synthetic oil change. 5L of Supertech on sale for $14.97 (I stock up) and under $5 for a decent oil filter from Rock auto by the case. 

When I bought my most recent car the dealer told me if I had my oil changed by them they offered a lifetime warranty on the engine. I don’t know what that covers or what it costs but it doesn’t matter because they’re too far away for it to make sense

Yeah, I don't drive enough or keep cars long enough to buy anything like oil/filters in bulk. 

Sept 1st will be 3 years since I bought the current house................I'm on my 4th car.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/19/20 9:42 a.m.

I am lacking right now. I haven't changed the oil in the wifes Forte yet. I too keep oil/filters on hand. I use ONLY OE filters for the koreans and walmart synthetic for everything. Sadly I have to keep 3 different jugs on hand as they all take a different viscosity. 

I can tell you that in 2015 the loss leader oil change at the acura dealer was $29.99 with tax for 5qts of cheap bulk and an oil filter. I know that the Merc dealer next door was between $100-150 depending on vehicle because mercedes. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/19/20 9:43 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I know I'll likely always have at least one Korean car so I keep them in stock. Plus side is it's an upgrade filter for Honda and I also know Honda owners. 

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
6/19/20 10:02 a.m.

Apparently the OE Korean filters are (I think) Mann and you can buy those at RA and others for half the price. I’ve read about problems using other filters. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
6/20/20 3:27 p.m.

Wow. I pay 35$ at the local 10 minute oil change spot for my Camry. Never had a problem with the work. 

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
6/20/20 4:13 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Yeah, I don't drive enough or keep cars long enough to buy anything like oil/filters in bulk. 

Every time it goes on sale I buy some, and the joke around our house is, when I die the kids are going to fight over my synthetic oil collection. 

I probably have a 3 year supply on hand

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/20/20 4:46 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Wow. I pay 35$ at the local 10 minute oil change spot for my Camry. Never had a problem with the work. 

I guess the distinction is if you are looking for routine service or if you are looking for an oil change.

I'd see a lot of cars that got regular oil changes at quicklubes that suffered from a lot of neglect.  Not sure if cause, or an effect of an underlying thriftiness.  And "quick lube" is kind of ironic since they don't ever hit any grease fittings.

The cars with old mouse nests on the cabin filters, loose and knocking front end parts, brakes seized up from lack of maintenance, two tires bald and two tires choppy because they were never rotated, etc. usually have oil change stickers from those places.  Save a dime now to spend dollars later.

(and seriously gross cabin filters YOU ARE BREATHING AIR THAT PASSED THROUGH MOUSE POOP AND PEE)

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/20/20 4:48 p.m.

$70 sounds really cheap for an engine rebuild. 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/20/20 4:58 p.m.

I was quoted $299 at the BMW dealer for a diesel oil change. 

Bought the 6 quarts and the oil filter kit there for $70 including 20% discount. 

I wish I had paid $300 ... diesel oil sucks. It came out like a fire hose, and then I dropped half on the floor like an idiot. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/20/20 6:10 p.m.

My Merc takes 9.6 plus so ten quarts.  Plus a filter and I only use OE on it. I only use mobile one in turbo cars. Just the oil and the filter ant I am north of $120. I could sho that down for sure but this is the go to the parts store pricing with my discount. Local independent shop does it for around $150. Dealer is closer to $175 but there waiting room is better with free coffee and snacks and you get a q&d detail in the car and a hand wash. Other times I have actually been given a loaner if they are backed up. I think they were trying to sell me a car as I mentioned I was interested in a GLS 550 and low and behold the next time I was in they were backed up and gee Mr Smith we can let you take this GLS 550 for the afternoon. LOL. BTW the GLS 550 is by far the best SUV I have ever driven. When the German car depreciation hits them a bit I will be sorely tempted. 

chada75
chada75 Reader
6/20/20 9:19 p.m.

Let's see. 

$29.99 for a 5 quart jug of Napa 5w-20 Synthetic (2 for a 05 P71 with some oil left over)

$7.99 for a Napa Gold Oil Filter.

$3-4 for a roll of Blue paper towels.

Around $70 not counting the AAA discount or other sales.

chada75
chada75 Reader
6/20/20 9:24 p.m.
Peabody said:

I’ve never taken a car in for an oil change and had no idea what it costs.

Me either.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/20/20 10:44 p.m.

I worked at a quick lube (insert jokes and hatred here ) in small town Ohio for 8 years. The oil change for that truck would be 46 bucks assuming 5w20 full synthetic. We would have regular customers from up to 75 miles away. Usually people visiting family are amazed at that price so 55 doesn't sound bad at all too me.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
6/21/20 12:38 a.m.

I do it myself because it's really nice to have it done on my own schedule, not have to wait on somebody else. I buy all kinds of oil for my fleet. $2/qt rural king brand stuff for the daily driver, $$$ Redline 10w60 for my track toy, Rotella for the truck (takes nearly 4 gallons), and valvoline VR1 20w50 for my old cars.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/21/20 8:00 a.m.

Amusingly, one of the things I miss most about dating my ex- was her township recycling center.  So instead of dealing with transferring oil from pans into empty oil containers, I could put the car on my lift and drain directly into one of these:

Then when it was close to full, head over to the recycling center and dump it.  I need to find someone near me with a waste-oil heater... 

No Time
No Time Dork
6/21/20 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

When I lived in Springfield one of the local AZ stores would just have me take the jug into the back and dump it out into a bulk collection tank.

Might be worth calling around, a few extra bucks to get the oil from them may be worth the convenience of not having to put the used oil back into the original containers 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/21/20 8:09 a.m.

My brother pays >$500 to change his Range Rover, he sold it 15 months in.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/21/20 10:03 a.m.
dropstep said:

I worked at a quick lube (insert jokes and hatred here ) in small town Ohio for 8 years. The oil change for that truck would be 46 bucks assuming 5w20 full synthetic. We would have regular customers from up to 75 miles away. Usually people visiting family are amazed at that price so 55 doesn't sound bad at all too me.

I am curious. Our local quick lube, as I drive by, I see everything from old 80s supra, Benz 300 D, new g waggen etc 

does the store carry all those crazy oil filters? Or do parts runner drop off filters for random cars, you guys don't stock ? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
6/21/20 10:03 a.m.
914Driver said:

My brother pays >$500 to change his Range Rover, he sold it 15 months in.

Yup $539.85 here for a RR HSE. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yVF9FGAggwPlICo1llvU89Eo8qZLXA8NilsqjBW1LLgcZeb63cFhfeDY8upNkzoF