1 2
sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
11/5/13 10:37 a.m.

We drove this thing yesterday, and it drove very well. It's amazing how 112 hp seems like plenty in such a small car! I can only imagine the awesomeness that a 2nd gen turbo swap or a V6 swap would bring! My brother is most likely going to get it, so hopefully it will be cleaned up and driving around soon! Maybe I need to get him to start a build/cleanup thread!

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
11/5/13 10:55 a.m.

The December issue of GRM magazine has an article on the MR2

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
11/5/13 12:03 p.m.

Yup, I just got the mag! I'll have to let my brother borrow it and get all the info.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
11/5/13 1:15 p.m.

Buy it. Any questions you have can be answered here. And since I sold mine, I can only virtually work on them now.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
11/5/13 11:54 p.m.

He bought it tonight! He's in love, and I'll try to get him to give us a little update thread so you guys can see more about it. Thanks for all the helpful info!

AW11ForFun
AW11ForFun None
12/9/13 3:13 p.m.

I'm the brother that bought the MR2. I'm a month in and haven't had time yet to do anything to it (not even wash it or vacuum it out), but hope to get a Saturday in the next month to give it a good once-over. Definitely runs/drives like the 80K on the odometer is true. Thanks for the tips on the purchase, and thanks to JohnRW1621 for the headlight switch!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
12/9/13 3:29 p.m.

I think you got a great deal. I've always liked these cars and would have popped on this one if it had been local and available.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
12/10/13 12:30 p.m.

In reply to AW11ForFun:

Congrats. Warning, it's addictive. I'm scouting super-charged versions on eBay/CL every day for a daily driver now.

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
12/10/13 2:37 p.m.

Good Buy...

I might be in the market for a new(er) 20V 4AG to replace my 180K paperweight.

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
12/10/13 4:29 p.m.

In reply to M3Loco:

Let us know what you want for the paperweight, I could use a spare for my '85 ;).

To the OP, congrats! I'm semi-local, and semi-knowledgable on aw11's, so send me a PM if you have any questions!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
12/10/13 5:23 p.m.

I am glad to hear the headlight switch got to you safely.
I loved the '88 MR2 SC that I had from '00-'04.
Sadly, when I sold it (during a stint of unemployment) I knew that I would never see another (and I have not.)

In the summer months, I used it as a DD some times. It had far more interior and storage space than my Miata. It also had AC which the Miata does not.
For "squirting" around town, it was fantastic. The SC brings the power on low and makes for delightful runs through the gears without having to get into crazy high speeds. With such a driving style, I never saw better that 22 mpg (sometimes less, like 18) but what fun.
With only a 10 gallon tank (the center console is the tank) the "low fuel" light comes on at 8 gallons or 160 miles at 20 mpg. On more than one occasion of driving from Toledo to my then Southfield, MI office, I would come home on empty; having left on full. Oft, I would buy gas twice in one day.
The moral of the story, a MR2 SC is great for burning up the hyw but not a long range driver.

Jerry, please buy one. I will gladly drive 3 hours to come down and beg you to let me drive it.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
12/11/13 12:02 a.m.

In reply to Flynlow:

Cliff, come on back down to VA Beach! I'll buy the beers this time!

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
12/11/13 7:34 a.m.

In reply to sethmeister4:

My MR2's engine is out for a HG replacement, but I will definitely be down sometime in the spring/summer. I'd like to see your progress on the Z!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8sxNpv41GrHb50eRxxP73KdiYrAVvHFeZDV5TPkGypJ4ZgfuntRp1d72eeGA5Hpo