1 2 3
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/4/23 11:37 a.m.

We have newer Daily drivers.  So only about 700 a year. But my hobby  gets an average of  500 hours a year on top.  Without the Honey-do list it would be more than double.   

In the past that would be well over 2000 hrs maybe as much as 4000 hrs a year.    

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
2/5/23 4:04 p.m.

4000 hours a year, so literally 6 months of working 40 hours a week, 5 days a week?  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/5/23 4:09 p.m.

That's impressive.  I know because I used to do that.  Well done

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
2/5/23 4:27 p.m.

Agreed with doc here, sounds like you work full time on your cars. You said you work 1300 hours per year on your personal cars or around a 50% part time job? 

There are 2080 hours per year or something like that for a 40 hour work week.....

You must be missing a decimal or I am missing the point.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/5/23 4:46 p.m.

4000 hours/50 weeks/6 days a week is 13-1/3 hours per day?  

300 days of working 6am to 715pm on a car?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/5/23 4:56 p.m.

7 days in a week. And yes. I did that while working a full 40+ hour a week job.  More than a few times I worked and worked around the clock. 
     I wanted to race. I was willing to put in the  effort. 
     3-4 hours a night what I got sometimes.   I'd push myself and could sometimes get in a 20 minute cat nap midday.  
      It's also how I put 31,000 hours in building my house myself.   ( not while I was racing though) 

I guess my body likes it.  Everybody sees me assumes I'm in my late 50's early 60's. Instead of almost 75 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/5/23 5:02 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

Agreed with doc here, sounds like you work full time on your cars. You said you work 1300 hours per year on your personal cars or around a 50% part time job? 

There are 2080 hours per year or something like that for a 40 hour work week.....

You must be missing a decimal or I am missing the point.

24x365 = 8760 hrs.        

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
2/5/23 5:06 p.m.

13 hours per week to work on a daily driver...... Are you a compulsive waxer?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/5/23 5:07 p.m.

If you spend 4000hrs on your racecar, and 2000hrs on your career, that gives you about 7.5 hours per day left to sleep. 

Easy!

However, I would bet that even here most people spend more hours in a year watching TV and YouTube than they do wrenching and racing. So I think there is still a lesson in this thread.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/5/23 5:13 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Yes I trade TV time for sleep. So I don't watch much of it. Although I do use the TV to put me to sleep.  My wife wakes me up when she heads to bed.  Although I don't count those few minutes.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/5/23 5:24 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

13 hours per week to work on a daily driver...... Are you a compulsive waxer?

No,  I work on stuff to be able to work on the car.     That's car work. For example I pull out tools. Work, go straight to bed without picking up.  And maybe the next day  or day after  clean and put the tools away.  
     I really only have one working stall now.  With a big car like the Jaguar I'm  getting ready for my granddaughter  I have to move it around  to work on  it. One side at a time. That's  push it back and forth  until it's all the way over.  Jack it up on jack stands.  Do the work.  Lower it down,  push it back and forth  to the other side or front or rear. Etc. 
 I may only get a thing or two done.  In a night but every bit counts. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/5/23 6:28 p.m.

The math in this thread is extremely suspect.

To answer the original question, my DD is 10 years old.  I spend maybe 4 hours a year working on it.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/5/23 6:54 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Well if you use it at all I suspect you put more time than that in it.  Filling it with gas  for a year  drive 12,000 miles a year get 15 mpg   That's 6.7 hours if it takes you 10 minutes.  An oil change,  an hour apiece, rotate  tires,   run through car wash, brake job,  wax ? A couple of times? 
 It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you do the work or sit and wait for it to get done.  
  Now I'm not flat rating it.  When the cassette ends and I flip it over I didn't start and punch out or anything.   And if I break to go to the bathroom I count that time as well. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/5/23 10:00 p.m.

I am fortunate to have a retirement job that takes only a few hours a day. I spend usually an hour in the afternoon and from 8-10 evenings plus 5 to 10 hours on the weekends in the shop. I would guess 80 hours a month or 1000 hours a year. Hard to see how one could do much more than that if you have a family and other commitments.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/5/23 10:08 p.m.

When you're a young man. You pretty much buy what you can afford and fix as needed. You forget those all nighters you put in just to get to work the next day.    
   My wife wanted to raise the girls herself.  She thought she could better meet their needs and I served as her back up in the event she was double booked. 
   Then as you age and you bring the car in for service you don't keep track of the time you're waiting.  
  But it's also when your hobby can fill the void a full time job once did. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/5/23 10:10 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

Well if you use it at all I suspect you put more time than that in it.  Filling it with gas  for a year  drive 12,000 miles a year get 15 mpg   That's 6.7 hours if it takes you 10 minutes.  An oil change,  an hour apiece, rotate  tires,   run through car wash, brake job,  wax ?

I wasn't counting filling it with gas.

This is the entirety of my 2022 maintenance on my daily.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/5/23 10:18 p.m.

Highly variable, could be anywhere from 40 to 400 depending on whether the car(s) needs routine track car maintenance or if there's a major project in the works. A lot of the time is spent doing research or scouring the classifieds for screamin' deals (mostly on tires).

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/5/23 10:20 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

4000 hours is two full-time 8 hour jobs. If you have a real full time job then you have another 8 hours that consume the rest of the 24 hour day. No breaks for eating.

So you work(ed) 24 hours a day. Non stop for a year.

4000 hours @ even $10/hour would get you $40k a year to buy a new car. Every year of your life. Or lease a new Jag for 5 years. 

Begs the question.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/5/23 10:23 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

You never ran it through a car wash? Never waxed it?  Didn't spend any time cleaning the interior?  Checking tire pressure?    
       That's all time including putting gas in it. 
      Then there are the gray  areas. Like doing research on what to buy,  tires, oil,   I don't really track that sort of thing just assume that the time I'm changing the cassette, going to the bathroom. Etc. Offsets it.  

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
2/5/23 11:46 p.m.

This is why I intentionally race cars that are low maintenance.

In the last year on the Datsun I fixed a fuel leak, changed the oil and replaced the shifter busings. Maybe 3hrs total. If you count the time spent having fresh tires mounted 4hrs.

The F500 is getting a motor upgrade so that will likely be around 60hrs.....for the year.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/6/23 12:21 a.m.

Work hours, or time behind the wheel? Eh....no idea because I've never tracked it, but my best guess is that each of my vehicles gets several double-digit-worth of hours per year in terms of work. Fluid changes, cleaning, tweaking settings, installing new performance parts, and the like. Driving time is far higher since I've been making a conscious effort to move away from time-sink projects, and focus on vehicles which improve my life by giving me a leg up getting me out there driving sooner. Life is short, so no time to waste! YMMV.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/6/23 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I have OCD when it comes to things I push to the absolute edge.  So post race it gets a complete nut  and bolt check. Fluids are drained, including the 28 quart dry sump.  
      It's put on Jack stands so tires  don't flat spot,   battery is carefully charged. paint and body examined for potential work. Wheel knock offs are loosened  ( removed  one at a time for polishing  while watching TV.  Each wheel takes about 1 movie  to polish). 
      1 week prior to next event the pre race check list is gone through. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/6/23 8:38 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Drive time is separate  from work on car time. But includes refueling,  maintenance whether done by you or you wait for it to be done. Car washes, waxing, etc.  ( Am I the only one who still waxes his daily drivers spring and fall?) 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/6/23 8:41 a.m.

My daily doesn't get waxed.  Its an appliance.  It gets preventative maintenance, and repairs.

Sure, I vacuum it every few months, but I bet that added to my list of maintenance above is still under 4 hours per year.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
2/6/23 8:43 a.m.

The math aint mathing 

I spent maybe a total of 10hrs working on my cars (5) in 2022. That includes our daily drivers, which I take to the dealer for everything (even oil changes). 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vbc95N0G13fDbkv3FLwvi5LJUEtH2CP1ayn7R1rIp7oYWib1I6wgqFiJZsgavkXD