1 2 3
poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/11/20 6:27 a.m.

Discuss....

MTechnically (Forum Supporter)
MTechnically (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/11/20 6:33 a.m.

How much do you hate cleaning wheels and how often do you wash your car? I feel like that's at the center of whether or not you'd like them. They definitely work well with Nitrous Blue.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/11/20 6:43 a.m.

I never liked them until I had a set, now I think they look good. I'd hate them on a daily, though.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/11/20 6:45 a.m.

On a performance car - sure.

On a daily driver? Well... I'll say the black wheels on my minivan are wonderful. cheeky

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/11/20 7:00 a.m.

How OCD are you? That's inversely proportional to how long you'll be happy with them. 

but I've always thought they looked cool. 

Bjorn 1349
Bjorn 1349 New Reader
7/11/20 7:03 a.m.

What are they going on? I think white wheels look good, but cleaning might be needed quite often depending on your brake pads. Plus plasti-dip if you need a change.

poopshovel again
7/11/20 7:11 a.m.

I wonder if a mild wheel cleaner and a hose once a week would do the trick(?) They'd go on the car pictured. I want to go down to an 18" wheel regardless.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
7/11/20 7:24 a.m.

How aggressive (with aggressive dust) of a brake pad will you be running? 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/11/20 7:49 a.m.

I agree that a lot depends on your brake pads.  If they generate a lot of dust it will be a pain.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/11/20 7:55 a.m.

Im trying ceramicoat on my white wheels to see if that helps. I also heavily clear coated them.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/11/20 8:07 a.m.

It's entirely brake pad dependent.

These go from this clean to filthy in a couple of days. I love the way they look on a white car but I would not do it again

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
7/11/20 8:19 a.m.

I would never do it on a performance application.  I don't think I'd do it on a daily, either.  While I work to get my wheels clean every time I wash the car, I don't wash my dailies often enough to prevent brake dust build-up.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/11/20 8:26 a.m.

Make sure you put appropriate wheel protectant on the rims and clean them fairly often.

poopshovel again
7/11/20 8:51 a.m.

Thanks for being voices of reason. The stock black wheels look good with the black mirrors & roof anyway. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/11/20 9:32 a.m.

I like the look.  

jimlowe
jimlowe New Reader
7/11/20 10:15 a.m.

I like them, but I'm using OEM pads that don't dust much, and I don't worry if they're not perfectly clean all of the time.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
7/11/20 11:52 a.m.

I have a set of white Kosei rims that I ran on my street Miata for a number of years. I like the look and they weren't hard to keep clean being a simple 5-spoke design. I wouldn't do a white mesh wheel, for example.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
7/11/20 11:53 a.m.

You'll like them right up until the first stop sign. I had a set of white Sprint-Hart CP-Fs on my Acura Legend that looked sick when clean. But they were never clean and they were nightmarish to clean due to the design.

Apparently having not learned my lesson, I installed a set of white Mini Cooper wheels on my Miata when I first got it. These were at least easier to clean than the Sprint-Harts, but again, the first stop light, they were dirty.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
7/11/20 12:17 p.m.

I think the design is critical to enjoyment, or lack of despair. Not necessarily from an aesthetic standpoint but from an easy clean up perspective. In that regard, a flat 5 spoke like the fifteen52 wheels in the OP would probably be much easier to clean (and therefore lead to more enjoyment) than something with a bunch of spokes, or God help you a basket weave.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
7/11/20 12:36 p.m.

I've run white wheels since 2008 on street and track. Not sick of them yet. 

poopshovel again
7/11/20 1:15 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Aesthetics are indeed important to me. (See also: Why I'm buying an RS and not a CTR cheeky)

Love the nitrous blue with the white tarmacs. Makes the car look "cartoon-ish."

Same reason I insisted on white wheels for the s00p3rturd.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/11/20 2:27 p.m.

I didn't mind cleaning my Vegas. I love the look of white wheels, almost as much as the look of gold mesh.

(old photo and gosh do I dislike that heckspoiler)

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/11/20 2:51 p.m.

Those wheels are tits. They'd look fantastic. And a simple design lends itself to easy cleaning. Plus, it's not really worth doing something awesome if it doesn't require at least a little effort. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/11/20 3:04 p.m.

I had white wheels on both Neons when we had the matched pair.

They were absolutely no worse than silver wheels to keep clean. Plus they looked awesome. 

poopshovel again
7/11/20 3:09 p.m.
barefootskater said:

Those wheels are tits. They'd look fantastic. And a simple design lends itself to easy cleaning. Plus, it's not really worth doing something awesome if it doesn't require at least a little effort. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kdlBWC7T4vAgKKv5iR40G6sKhmn7cv2UPeGJDEnMRuc3ynUoF8jGXvCB2REgAaq3